whitewater

Coleman Crawdad

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

Anybody ever own one or been in one out fishing, How do you think they are in salt ponds? Does a jon boat this size with a trolling motor have to be registered.

on a nice day you'll be fine..... nice small boat we put 600 pounds in ours...I think there was 2 different sizes/boats...but there really nice....any johnboat would be good in up to a 1 footchop...I seen a guy and his dog go out charlestown breachway in a jboatcwm31.gif it was nice and he looked like a oldtimer if your new to small boats in saltponds be carefull...saftyfirstbiggrin.gif

had one for 12 years.always best to reg. but not sure if it's law w/o a gas eng.the boat handles well mostly all over but the sides are low so if a passing boat go's buy to fast watch out.because it has a alum.pole frame you will have to rinse it down every time or it will rot out very fast.

Anything with a mechanical propulsion i.e. trolling motor has to be registered

in the state of RI.

Was going to drop mine onto my canoe to do some fresh water fishing and I thought I better check this out seeing every time I bend the rules a little bit I turn into a ticket magnet. redface.gif

I saw 2 kids around 15 or so go out of the CBW in a canoe in outgoing tide and they barely made it over that huge rip-wave that develops just outside the breachway, I had my phone ready figuring they were done for..

Last I saw them they paddled north east parallel to shore and I lost them around the point. cwm31.gif

i have been thinkin of throwing this puppy into some salt...flat bottom with a 15...im sure it could be done in the right conditions.. i just have not pulled the trigger to get it registered and get all the proper safety gear for tidal waters.... 525

Me and my friend launch from whatever that boat launch is called near the comedy connection in East Prov.....I got a crawdad with a 36lb trollin motor and an old battery......this is sufficiant if the current and wind are calm but if it's choppy you aint gettin out where ya wanna go...which i found out yesterday. lol we had to tie off on an old dock till the tide came in or we woulda ended up in pawtucket lol....if anyones got a small gas outboard message me. Or if anyone has a proper boat and wouldnt mind towing me out to the crane barge lemme know LOL. As for what the stripers are hittin...shallow jerks and big poppers are doin it for me.

I’m in Eastern LIS In CT and have been river fishing with my crawdad quite a bit. 

I just stumbled onto a 3.5 four stroke Merq that I’m planning to do some solo drifting with in the sound on calm days. 

what’s everyone think ?? 

3 hours ago, rowch01 said:

I’m in Eastern LIS In CT and have been river fishing with my crawdad quite a bit. 

I just stumbled onto a 3.5 four stroke Merq that I’m planning to do some solo drifting with in the sound on calm days. 

what’s everyone think ?? 

Sounds like a death trap. If the wind picks up while you’re out there you’re screwed. 

4 mins ago, z-man said:

Sounds like a death trap. If the wind picks up while you’re out there you’re screwed. 

I’m with you on that, I’ll probably use it to fish the Hammo River and Indian River estuaries etc. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

A couple of poor duck hunters perished in the Westport river with a small boat just a few years back.. I'm sure some folks here may know one or two of them. Just be sure your boat can take a decent wake/wave and listen to your fears. It's rivers and bodies of water like that which look harmless enough. 

Ive even been in the calm Barrington river in a small Jon boat when the weather got a bit ugly. Boat was getting tossed around pretty good. We were nervous. 

Grant it this was in the fall/winter, Just watch the weather reports before you take one out.  

Edited by Tduffy