Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Wet Lines

WOW need to put the breaks on

Rate this topic

21 posts in this topic

Was out back last night playing with the new Penn Mag 525. biggrin.gif Spooled it up with 280 to 290 yds. of 30 LB Power-Pro. I either need alot more practice or a better set of breaks. eek.gif It was bird's nest city crying.gif Where can I get a simple kit to tame this beast down. HappyWave.gif

Where can I get a simple kit to tame this beast down. HappyWave.gif

I remember the first few times I cast my 525Mag - I couldn't believe how fast it was eek.gif As uncontrollable as it is right outta the box, it's also going to force you to cast better...at least it forced me smile.gif Smooth unloading and release, full on fluff detection with the thumb, careful at the end on splash down...she's a brutal but educational mistress, right outta the box wink.gif

TimS

The 525mag is under-magged IMO. Same situation with mine out of the box but I had been forwarned and used mono. eek.gif

"Slow" was about right with no option to slow it down futher.

I piggy backed a couple of Radio Shack rare earth magnets on top of the existing ones and it has helped. Folks that have gotten Tres' modified magnet carriage say this is da bomb and allows for a wide range of magnet control.

[ 01-30-2004, 11:48 AM: Message edited by: BaitWaster ]

I paid my dues with that reel!

Plus I had no previous experience with conventionals before I cast that tasmanian devil reel...

Heres the scoop guy..

1. forget the braid.. 20 pond mono max..15 to 17 is preferred by the good guys.

2. get the radio shack magnets pop them in it takes 5 minutes..

3. keep the mags set to full (your not gonna lose yardage trust me I hit 200 yrads with the mags on full using 5oz)

4. Modify your casting style to be "Smoooooth" any herky jerky swing and you will pay dearly...

and oh yes....

always keep and extra spool of mono handy and some siccors to cut out the birds nests...

after about 3 weeks if you dont throw the reel in the ocean screaming "die you evil reel die!" then you 'll be okey. wink.gif

[ 01-30-2004, 12:16 PM: Message edited by: Awesome John ]

The reel will get faster as time goes on. The Radioshack mags are a good idea (I still have not taken the time to do mine)and very easy too do. They give you more control and you can still open her wide open if you wish.

Mono is the better way to adjust your cast(alot less expensive anyway) and you will get better as time goes on.

Enjoy the unit it is great.

AJ has it right. You've got to modify your cast. You don't have to "hmph" it with that reel. Also, you've got to be cognizant of the wind direction with every cast. If the wind shifts even slightly against you, you have to tighten down on the control and perhaps increase magnet engagement.

A slower action rod is easier to learn on vs a faster action. Before you choose a mono check the diameters and 2 lines I would definetly not use are Trilene Big Game and Stren. You want to look for a co-polymer such as Silver Thread or BPS's excel.

Well needless to say the Power-Pro never made back inside eek.gif wasn't enough left to save.

My next move was to try 17lb Trilene Big Game, apparently this is not a good idea either. HappyWave.gif

Just adding the magnets might be enough,but I also went to 50lb. power pro.

Now I love this little reel.

Like Tim said,it will force you to cast better,it did me.

I even had a couple of guys check out what kind of reel I was using. biggrin.gif

Joe

Wetlines,

I have yet to purchase my 525 mag, but we have been kicking this around alot on the Distance casting forum. Big Dave and Neil MacKellow have some great ideas regarding this reel, and how to slow it down. Neil is an adviser for Penn in the UK, and was instrumental in 525 design.

I would like to recommend a slightly thicker mono. I use Berkley Trilene BG 25# on two of my conventional reels and three of my spinners (.0019"). The 20# Trilene is .0018". Ande Pink 25# is a few thousandths thicker but the same diameter in 20#. I have also used Ande Pink 25#.

The thicker mono makes it easier to pick out a nest. IMO would go with a domestic brand of 20# mono. Also check what Neil said about underspooling the line. That little tip is a real good one. Good luck with the new reel. I am going to get one soon, to see how "evil" this reel is.

Steve

As long as you are there to put the thumb down before it gets real ugly, I find some braids much easier to pick out than any mono smile.gif

Mono backlashes get deep very quickly...if you quickly snuff out a braid backlash with a smooth braid, they generally come right out. The issue becomes those instantaneous full speed to zero stops icon25.gif You can damage braid on the spool even a little beyond the actual knot eek.gif Dunno how, but it does smile.gif

TimS

My icon14.gif has a Ph D. from casting a Squidder. The 525 Mag is still a handful as it comes from the box.

I think the stock oil it comes with is red label Rocket Fuel. Try a heavier viscosity oil, like 3 in 1.

I added an aftermarket set of magnets I found at a well-known OBX website. That helped tremendously.

I've always used 65# Whiplash on mine. As Tim said, have the thumb at the ready in case it starts to get a little snarly on you. I've never had a backlash that I had to take the scissors to.