Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
skoolie

Rumor has it that ABU

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

Too bad they arent using thier nogging to do something better icon25.gif like furnishing reels with drags that actually work without the need to be replaced almost immediately.......one of the finest casting reels but the drag system definitely leaves a lot to be desired frown.gif

I really seriously doubt that ABU will not make any more "CT" non level wind reels. I've been using and collecting Ambassadors for the last thirty years. It would be too long of a post to go through the history of the company. They made

many reels that were non level wind that did not have the "CT" in the model name. To put it simply CS in a model name meant that it had a level wind, CT was the same reel without the level wind Some reel models had a "different" "name" depending on where they were marketed worldwide. Case in point... the "Blue Yonder" is the exact same reel as the ABU 6500C3CT-Elite. This reel was discontinued several years ago but is still available as are CT frames to convert a CS (level wind) for many other models from Steve Barratt.

The man is a wealth of knowledge...just click on the "Let's go Fishing" on the home page.

And yes we all agree ABU does need to do something

about the drags. SMOOTHIES.

Too bad they arent using thier nogging to do something better icon25.gif like furnishing reels with drags that actually work without the need to be replaced almost immediately.......one of the finest casting reels but the drag system definitely leaves a lot to be desired frown.gif

Dusky I agree 100% about the drags.Believe it or not I found a simple fix(Lithium grease)I broke down my 5600 mag ang 6500 and lubed all the washers with lithium grease.Both reels have at least 150 fish on them and the drags are still silk smooth without a stutter.I have tried every other lube in the world and found that good ole lithium was the fix.go figure

Doug M

Smoothness has never really been an issue for me using stock 6500's..... it has always been about drag power. Stock washers can be made to work smooth as snot by rubbing in graphite powder.

Stock ABU drags in my opinion, are only fish-able at around 90% lock-up. Even when the star wheel is fully locked, It really doesn't take much of a Blue or Red to get things turning, relying on your thumb as an auxiliary drag.

As said before, Smoothies, or my favorite, Xtreme Smoothies, are mandatory for decent performance.

Don't be surprised that in the near future, your prayers for beefier stock drags will be answered.

The powdered graphite thing worked fine UNTIL the innards (sp) got wet.. Im not talking about fishing in the surf where a reel continually gets doused with water, im talking back water. Just from the line getting wet it seems to work its way inside and eventually into the drag system, rendering it as useless as before they were treated with graphite. I should try the Extreme Smoothies or better yet, ive heard of Penn HT100 drag washers being installed in Abu's. That would probably be the best setup. I aslo know that the drags are supposed to be installed dry, but im sure Lithium grease might not hurt it. If nothing else, i know it wont fly off eek.gifwink.gif