Show us your Mike Fixter works of art...

eurojett05

Well it's about time I chimed in. Mike is a very special person and it's just a flat out honour to be able to cast his work into the ocean. 

Those of you that know me know that I'm not a big collector. I pretty much fish the plugs I own and I have a very special story about Mike, which deserves to be shared here in a thread dedicated to him.

When I got my very first plug from Mike he took the time to ask me all sorts of questions. He wondered where I fished and his input was all about what would work best for me.

How special is that?

Along the way he shared some amazing stories and insights and then I got a little package in the mail which pretty much made me fall off my milking stool that I sit on when I'm trying to get my waders on.

It was as if I had known him my entire life when I spoke to him. His wife is also very wonderful and I just consider myself to be blessed for having crossed paths with him.

What came in the mail was really unusual. It's shape and it's design stopped me completely in my tracks. I had never seen such a perfectly made imposter.

Mike's plugs are amazing and I am ashamed that I cleared out a spot in my plug bag and dedicated it to his work and instead of putting it on a shelf and trying to keep it beautiful I beat it up on a daily basis.

The whole fishing community is absolutely blessed to have Mike amongst our ranks. Cheers to Mike Fixter! Talking to him on the phone was like talking to Babe Ruth!

PXL_20210920_203158850.jpg.d2f46b0b9f6cec2be8853225fadcd7e7.jpgbyPXL_20210920_203155604.jpg.57d137c6e1c12bdc77417eff93583d1f.jpg

PXL_20210920_203204401.jpg

The journey of this particular Gigantia Dendrum Sequoia began in 1964 when a snow and wind storm knocked down the 2700 year old, 282 foot tall tree on University of California land. In 1975 UC put the tree up for public auction and two men from Santa Cruz, California competed in the bidding.

The two men bid against many big, well known lumber companies. The big companies wanted to cut down 400 fir trees around the Sequoia. The two Santa Cruz men proposed an ingenious plan in which they would not touch anything within 20 feet of the big tree, and would leave the land in its natural state. Their proposal won, and so the adventure began for the two men and the tree...
They pitched a tent at 10,000 feet in the Whitaker forest and worked from first light until after sundown every day over two grueling seasons. They chopped the colossal 282ft tall, 27ft diameter, 85ft circumference tree into blocks small enough to manage and transport. Because the wood was still wet when harvested, each 4ft x 4ft x 10ft block weighted about 10,000 lbs. The entire tree was transported using an old Navy winch bolted to a 200 ton boulder and one old truck for hauling.

This tree has a special energy to it. Since it began growing in 700B.C. is rare and especially beautiful when finished, the wood has been used exclusively for special works of art, pieces that will be passed down for generations to come...it has become big dinning tables, massive front doors, a few yacht interiors, fine art jewelry, collector surfboards and beautiful sculptures both big and small.

thegiantsequoia.com

P1040371.JPG

P1170450.JPG

P1180203.JPG

P1180205.JPG

P1190406.JPG

MorningWood
(*member formerly know as 'kevnmary')

4 hours ago, MorningWood said:

Tell us Mr. Fixter how you came to possess a chunk of this tree? #Mike Fixter

20130914_174328kellyweb.jpg

26260002.jpg

janjaymovingblock.jpg

Mike has never spoken of how he acquired it, however Santa Cruz legend talks of a wealthy business man who was buried in a coffin made of the wood. Allegedly one night somebody dug up the coffin and stole the lid.....

Edited by BRossi

4 mins ago, BRossi said:

Mike has never spoken of how he acquired it, however Santa Cruz legend talks of a wealthy business man who was buried in a coffin made of the wood. Allegedly one night somebody dug up the coffin and stole the lid.....

I believe it. The Lost Boys were probably involved. 

'If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck, I'd swim to the bottom and never come up.'  Chuck Ragan