Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Firinne

Public Stonings

Rate this topic

42 posts in this topic

Back in Biblical times when a "member" of society got uppity or out of line people would throw stones at them. I imagine that a lot of times these stonings we not planned in advance but just happened. Someone who did not like the outcast would get angry and throw a stone at them in anger and ignorance. Others may have witnessed it or heard about it and come to take a peek. Next thing you know a crowd has formed around the outcast to see what is going on. The more the poor outcast fights back, the angrier certain members of the society become and little by little others begin to throw stones. Soon most of the crowd begins to do it as it seems funny and people begin to believe that it must be okay because everyone else is doing it. This horrifies a few in the crowd who feel deep in their soul's that it's wrong and immoral. They want to speak out in defense of the victim but are afraid as the stones may come flying at them, so they stand there quietly. Still very few others can not contain themselves and do speak out, its part of their fiber, they can't help themselves. They expect retaliation but hold they're ground! I would imagine that such a crowd would gather the attention of the society's leaders. They probably would walk over to see what was happening. The mob would probably stop to see what direction the leadership was leaning to decide if the stoning should stop or continue. I would imagine that being a leader back then was very similar to being a leader today in our society. They want to satisfy the majority of the folks so they wait to see which way things are leaning. They can't stand up to do what's morally right or they'll instantly become outcast themselves!

Funny how this parallels with things that happen right here on this web page today! Stones aren't used, words are. People's feelings get hurt, they become bitter, angry! What you say and more importantly what you don't say has an impact on what happens here. I wanted to implant member's names throughout this posting but I'll let you figure out where you would fit in.

I like joking around more than anybody does, but when someone gets hurt or is not amused you gotta stop! You respect that; we don't tear them apart or say too bad for you. Believe me, I'm no saint and have thrown a few stones myself, but I can admit when I'm wrong and usually apologize. Thank you for taking the time and reading this...Bob_E

Gee!

I thought this was gonna be a suggession on what should be done to the Enron, WorldCom execs. I was gonna suggest public beheadings.

Shag

in the good book it say "let them without evile or sin casteth the first stone.."

yall can geuss what happened after that...

if no one rattled the kids cage or vice versa to begin with he would ....

a: know more of how to act on the forum.

b tongue.gifrobly be a good fisherman and pass what he learns on when he hisself gets older.

c :you wouldnt have ta read this bs or waste of space on the subject.

Well said Spook. Tis a shame for adults to pick on younguns. True Pat has a mouth on him, but .....

Patrick, that does not kill you will make you stronger. Just learn to keep quite as I have mentioned to you before.

They want to satisfy the majority of the folks so they wait to see which way things are leaning. They can't stand up to do what's morally right or they'll instantly become outcast themselves!

Bob, stick to what you know - this obviously ain't it. People were stoned for being criminals, not outcasts. It was the punishment of the times - if you don't think it was fair/just/humane, go back a couple thousand years and complain. As to the "leadership" here doing what it feels the majority would want, that's almost as ridiculous as your "demanding" I apologize to someone because you didn't understand the words in a post I wrote.

This has absolutely nothing to do with this board, any board, or any event that's happened here. Go contact the PETA folks if you don't like the fact that someone registered there with Mindi's name - not much anyone here can do about it. In fact, it wouldn't shock me if someone registered with Mindi's name on the PETA site just to have something to whine about.

The whole premise that anyone here can stop someone from registering on the PETA site with someone else's name is absurd - and all the discussions that followed based on that assumption are absurd. Bring me proof of who is was that registered there under Mindi's name and I'll personally confront them - until then, keep it off this site, it has nothing to do with this site. If this were the only site that Mindi's name ever came up, then I'd be looking for the culprit - but that's hardly the case.

TimS

Tim, I agree with you about responsibility for Mindi's name getting mentioned on another board, but some folks here were extremely harsh when she came here to complain about it. It seems clear to me that whoever used her name is from this board (and I have not even seen the threads in question on PETA's board, though I have been over there). I don't think this board's leadership was harsh in responding to Mindi for the most part, but the responses the kid got from members here, their ill will is beyond question. Mindi seems like a nice kid, with a generally pretty good sense of humor. She was upset, made the connection pretty easily and went off here. Can't really blame her, and she didn't reference a single vermin in her "response." smile.gifwink.gif.

Clearly, SOL isn't responsible for what goes on over at the PETA board. Clearly, you don't condone what happened there. But check out the first page of posts going off on a teenager?? that was just trying to defend herself the best she could. Hell, if she weren't Patrick's girlfriend, and had posted the things she posted here in some other context, few of these guys would even know who she was ('cept for the few guys that always respond when a female posts -- that always cracks me up)... smile.gif

What I am trying to say is, both you and Bob have valid points. You're right -- this is not SOL sanctioned abuse and you don't have control over what happens at a PETA website of all places. Bob is right -- there is no reason for her to have been jumped on when she was hurt and trying to defend herself. Ain't it time for the two of you to bury the hatchet, and grin and bear each other, without every post between the two of you being personal??? From my interactions with both of you, both good and bad, I know your hearts are both in the right place. It's just your minds I sometimes worry about. tongue.gif

Vinny

Not in a position to cast the first stone, but I have done it myownself.

Vinny, I agree...to a degreewink.gif My point is it happened somewhere else, it should be addressed there. I'm sorry it hurt Mindi's feelings, I'm sorry someone thought it would be funny to register with Mindi's name on PETA's site - my guess is if they are a member here, they are more likely a troublemaker that posts elsewhere far more often.

My issue is, as usual, with Bob's ridiculous accusations that the "leadership" here does what makes most people happy instead of what they feel is right. But that's just Bob, everyone expects that from him. Hell, do a search for his last 50 posts - just look at the wealth of information and helpful stuff he contributes! He's the epitome of a member if I ever saw one.

I agree, Mindi has every right to be angry - but she has no right to take it out here, it happend on the PETA board - take it up with their management, ask them to remove "Mindi" from their registration. She's more than welcome to discuss it here, ask for help here, or anything remotely civil - but when she comes over here screaming and insulting the entire board about something no one here can control, that's a little much. If it was someone from here, odds are they are probably registered on every fishing site - did she post this tirade everywhere else or just here? I feel for her, but I won't take responsibility for what happend on another site - I can't even keep up with the traffic here much less the rest of cyberspace. Like I said before, show me proof and I'll address the person who did it. Otherwise, besides saying I'm sorry it happened, there's nothing I can do.

TimS

Don't disagree with anything you said. In fact, most of it seems remarkably similar to what I said. I just think that the treatment she got when she came here to complain (and admittedly, she overreacted, but hey, who besides me hasn't wink.gif ) was extremely harsh. Except, of course, for Gad's reaction, which I find mildly amusing..... Alright, more than mild amusement, I laughed out loud.