Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sergio

How far you go to hide a good or secret spot?

Rate this topic

20 posts in this topic

Hooked a weakfish last Sunday and I had to lower the tip of the rod so it will not show the throbbing and also quit cranking for what seemed like minutes when a boat with a huge gill net came close to shore to take a look and see how I was doing. I did not feel of course I was doing something morally wrong, but what abut doing the same to a fellow sport fisherman?

I did not care some years ago, but competition has grown exponentially down here and some people are not very respectful to the law and of what should be known values. So under some circumstances I may think twice about showing a good spot to a slob sport fisherman.

Is deception wrong in sport fishing? How "bad" it is in our sport to cause another fisherman to believe what is not true (like being purposedly inaccurate when asked where you got your trophy fish smile.gif)

Some may say that sport fishing is not a competitive sport, but... why do some of us target on purpose larger fish? I personally compete more against myself than against anyone else smile.gif, but I would lie if I tell you that in certain circumstances I am not making my best effort to catch the largest fish in our group in a particular outing.

It would be interesting to hear your thoughts about the morality of deception sportfishing wise. I personally think that decepton is amoral, but the degree of its morality depends on the situation (like last Sunday with the gill netters). If fishing is a sport as football is, should we hide under some circumstances our plans and moves like a football player and coach do?

Sergio

One night this fall while fishing, two boaters agressively came by me to see if as I caught my first fish, I yelled at them to back off and they did after a while I moved from place to place but the boats still kept track of me. Every time I caught a fish for the rest of the I would lie down on the bank and hide until they went away. I felt a little silly doing this but I thought it more than necessary

KLE

I used to fish with Buddy Dorman on the Viking Skipper out in Montauk. If a boat came close, he'd tell everybody to stop reeling and lower their rods until the boat passed. The funny thing is that it really worked.

Around here Sergio that stuff is common practice.I hope you never have to deal with the amount of people the guys around here have to deal with.

I could write on a book on ways to dodge other fisherman.

Hi Sergio...

It all depends pal... When I am with friends, I will give away many spots and hope one of us catches "THE" fish... it really does not matter who catch it as long as one of us does! wink.gif

However, when it comes to strangers.... I'm like you... I am programed...I'll keep my rod down when fighting a fish, I can also say "Err...Nothing doing... No bites... wrong tide.... You should have been here yesterday"with a straight poker face!

It's also common for me to away from a good bite just to protect a spot... etc.

"Crazy" Alberto

[This message has been edited by Crazy Alberto (edited 01-30-2002).]

My buddy and I were drowing eels off the jetty at Roosevelt Ave in Long Beach when he hooked a really good fish, his first 50. As he was fighting it some guy with a fresh water spinning rod, and a very bright flashlight, walked out on to the jetty asking how we were doing, Gene dropped the tip of his rod flipped his reel into free spool and with an absolute stone cold poker face told the guy that we hadn't done anything. Once our visitor left he flipped the reel back into gear and proceeded to fight and land his fish. We had a very good night and we had no interlopers in the way.

------------------

8ball.gif

I dont usually go out of my way to avoid a fellow fisherperson.A lot do and I know of some that will go out of their way to keep their spot seceret,even to the extent of giving up their fishing for the night at that spot.(Granted,there are more fishers the further south you get-But the mentality is the same)While I do see the need to not advertise one's special rock/point or technique in some circumstances,I have seen needless instances where some GOOFS will hide basic info just so they can have it all.One place that I regularly fish is famous locally for big fish and you see newcomers on a regular basis(Sneekers and freshwater rods/reels)That place is now famous for some idiots that turn off all that are new to that area "Boy,those guys sure are A$$holes down there,How can you stand them?" When I was only 2 yrs into the sport(more of a regular than some)I showed up a few hours late and asked how the fishin was,All I got was "Pretty quiet tonight" I might have believed that one if it wasnt for the fresh scales stuck on that guy's boot.

I dont feel that threatened about my fishing now.I have seen too many times where It was sheer smarts where someone will score and they deserve it! Just because some new or regulars show up dosnt ruin my night.I can learn from other's sucesses,sometimes catch fish because someone tried something different.New guys usually dont understand why I am catching when they arnt unless I tell them.Most that are not fanatical about the sport will give up after putting in their time not catching anything.Its when we decide to give up our secrets that they learn how to succeed hence take up your spot with one of their friends(an hour earlier than the tide starts and you get there ) confused.gif

Sometimes I will still show up early,if needed.Sometimes I will lie (guess what I say,now,to that guy that had scales on his bootwink.gif Sometimes its just nice to meet someone nice enough to want to fish with them,that Its worth it to show them the ropes and end up having a good friend to fish with!

------------------

canada.gif

Well, I feel no moral obligation to tell where I was when I caught a fish. But I will not lie about it. I'll just say something like, "I caught it in the Bay north of X." That, or I'll just tell them it was in a friend's hotspot that I cannot divulge.

But if I find someone in my hotspot, it's ON!

boatoon!.JPG

TH

Switch between 4 different cars/trucks at a certain hot spot.

Hide my truck in bushes, and bike to a spot.

Park at a certain area and hoof it in the opposite direction.

Generally its more fun to fish with a buddy, but sometimes you have a location you know very well, and understand the window of opportunity from doing your homework and you would like to see the efforts made by yourself applied by others wanting to cash in on a good score.

There are hardly any more totally SECRET spots, just secretive when, why, and with what.

ML

There are hardly any more totally SECRET spots, just secretive when, why, and with what.

Aside from what Mike said,

with a million+ fisherman the only "secret spots" are those that are consistantly worth a long or difficult walk.

gadwall

I drop the tip all the time at my favorite bass spot. It's only good for schoolies up to 20lbs but VERY productive. I fish it with poppers & shallow running plugs. The productive area is a samll rip about 50 yds long & 15 yds wide. One problem though, last year some trollers showed up. They ALWAYS go right along the rip. And you know what happens to the fishing then...

Not only that, but it's in NY where the limit is 1@28" or better. So, I'm a Jersey guy with my one fish in the box & along comes this troller, (actually I've seen 3 or 4 different guys) with umbrella rigs catching 2-3 at a time & keeping them all.

Apparently it's common knowledge & gets no reaction from the NY DEC.

One fisher who jigs the Cape Cod Canal was known to remove/obscure a few pole numbers from the light poles to make it a little more difficult for others to pinpoint his exact location.

Joe G