Mustad hooks -Made in china!

Rate this topic

technologist

Just got a copy of Angling International in the mail. There's an article in the magazine explaining why Mustad moved it's operation to china from Norway and Singapore. They blamed it on the weakining dollar.

Time is the best teacher, but unfortunately it will kill it's pupil!

View PostJust got a copy of Angling International in the mail. There's an article in the magazine explaining why Mustad moved it's operation to china from Norway and Singapore. They blamed it on the weakining dollar.

Actually, this is a good thing. Mustad hooks turned to crap because they had to start adhering to very strict Norwegian environmental laws--they could no longer use cadmium in their hooks.

Chinese environmental "laws"--such as they exist in the first place--aren't nearly as strict wink.gif

"…if catching fish is your only objective, you are either new to the game or too narrowly focused on measurable results.” - D. Stuver

EWSFLASH - Almost everythign we buy fishign related will end up being made in China. Lamiglas, St. Croix are just 2 of the companies off the top of my head which are MADE IN THE USA, which have at least 1 line of rods made in teh NOT USA.

If I cna make somehtign and it costs me $5, to sell for $20, and I can make the same thign for $1, and charge $22 - which do you think I'm going to do 100 times out of 100? Especially when you look at teh quality of stuff comeing out of China, it's much improved from only a couple of years ago.

"the internet is the greatest platform for people who don't know anything, to tell people how much they don't know, to people who don't know anything and believe everything they read."
-Billy 40:16

View PostEWSFLASH - Almost everythign we buy fishign related will end up being made in China. Lamiglas, St. Croix are just 2 of the companies off the top of my head which are MADE IN THE USA, which have at least 1 line of rods made in teh NOT USA.

If I cna make somehtign and it costs me $5, to sell for $20, and I can make the same thign for $1, and charge $22 - which do you think I'm going to do 100 times out of 100? Especially when you look at teh quality of stuff comeing out of China, it's much improved from only a couple of years ago.

people .. get it straight

its not the materials thats cheap. |

5$ material here. is 5$ there

its the labor thats cheaper in china.

a guy works for 5$ there. compared to someone asking for 15$ here.

its a big difference as the days accumulate.

i use 2/3 rule for trading. join date, posts, or vouch. whoever has less goes first.

(*member formerly known as 'ooeric')

View Postpeople .. get it straight

a guy works for 5$ there. compared to someone asking for 15$ here.

its a big difference as the days accumulate.

Being able to dump industrial waste right into the Yangtze instead of paying to have it disposed of helps a bit, too wink.gif

"…if catching fish is your only objective, you are either new to the game or too narrowly focused on measurable results.” - D. Stuver

View Postpeople .. get it straight

So why, oh wise one - are Major blank Manufactures, like Lamiglas, ordering materials from China to make their blanks? The truth is the materials are actually cheaper here now....for other countries to buy. SO what US companies have done is increased their prices, making it more expensive for use....and with teh weakening US dollar, still cheaper for other countries.

"the internet is the greatest platform for people who don't know anything, to tell people how much they don't know, to people who don't know anything and believe everything they read."
-Billy 40:16

View Postno environmental laws....we send our styrofoam to China, they burn it for fuel!!!mad.gifmad.gifmad.gifmad.gif

The air quality in Beijing is so poor that many athletes are starting to express their concerns over whether it'll affect the Olympics this summer.