Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Grumpy

Not a "BRIGHT" idea.

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

Was fishing one of my favorite holes the other night; doing fair, one short bass, a decent weakie, couple small blues, then all of a sudden the beach lights up. A couple guys came over the dunes with a coleman lantern and walked right to the waters edge and held the light as high as they could to see what's going on.... Game over, find another spot.

Not to get into name calling and going on about hammerheads this post is directed to the newbies and/or people who are just starting to fish nights about lights on the beach. There are some fishing areas that if you did the coleman trick you would put your well being in jeopardy, beware.

It is a fact that Bass are nocturnal feeders, they are designed that way and scientic data supports it. It is a belief shared by many that lights spook bass. I am one of the believers and have experienced this many times first hand. When you need to use a light, as everybody at one time or another has to, for changing lures, un-doing knots, releasing fish, etc., Use a small one and face away from water, it's even a good idea to dye the bulb red (Pep Boys sells bulb dye) so you don't ruin your night vision.

So, when you fish a beach at night be aware of your lights; flashlights, lanterns, beach buggy headlights, etc.. A little respect can go a long way, may even get you that 50.

I think there should be a sign at every entrance to the beach that reads LIGHTS SCARE FISH. Most of these people just don't know.Maybe a Keep your lights off the water bumper sticker or some other sort of education.The lantern /Q-beam crowd seems to grow every year......makes me grumpy too frown.gif

------------------

Rick

I gotta agree as I have, more than once, lost a good night bite to some fool who wanted to see the wave action and aimed his truck out to sea. But be aware that on a place like Island Beach State Park, a park ranger can give you a summons for driving without your headlights on. I have gotten warnings before but never a summons.

Speaking of losing the night bite. I had a guy on the north shore this morning (5AM) pull his skiff up over the small outflow rip that I was reaping fish from and ask if I had gotten "ANY HITS" Well he could barely hear me tell him to turn his spotlight off over the roar of his POS engine. He moved on and a half hour later a few bass returned then daybreak and Hammerheads killed the action. I cannot help but think that the Dawn popper brigade scares bass away. What with a dozen or so poppers being zipped across the surface? Maybe not.

I am a young angler but know not to crowd, or piss off a surfcaster who may or may not have slept for days.

JC

Now that were on the subject...I fish along the ocean side of Sandy hook a bit lately.I've been looking mostly for Albies.Every morning without fail the boats come right down the beach and run them right over,every morning.What's up with that?Why do they have to run right down the beach like that?It's a big ocean.How about a little consideration.Takes me an hour and a half to get there and an hour and a half back.Thats 3 hours of driving,15.00 in gas and 4.00 in tolls.If I knew a place that the albies were showing up as consistently in close to the beach I'd go there instead but I don't.I think I just might invest in one of those "chum launchers".Boaters beware!

------------------

10x10

The worst experience I ever had was on Alexander Ave. Jetty in Cape May. I'm fishing for weakies using a FinS when another couple people set up shop. Ordinarily wouldn't bother me, but Alexander is small and they were bait drowning. TO make matters worse, all of a sudden the area is bathed in this bright light as the people brought out a huge light w./generator to shine on the water. I asked them, more out of curiosity because the fish developed lock jaw soon afterwards, how they are doing and they said they expected the fish to turn on any minute as the bait is being attracted to the light. I chuckled to myself and just walked back to the car.

10x10, welcome to Sandy Hook, been like that forever and I don't ever expect it to change. Best bet for Blues or Bass at the Hook is at night well after the boat/jetski traffic has thinned. Once the sun is up you can count on the scene you described above unless there is a nasty chop from an east wind that will keep the boaters in the bay.

Rui

Brian, That was me on the Alexander Ave jetty in Cape May. Just as soon as you left we got 10 weakies between 9 and 11 # and 6 bass of 22# 26# 28 1/2# 36# 42# and a record 83 #er. I am waiting for the IGFA to verify the record and I'll keep you guys posted. Shoulda been there Brian, those bright lights work wonders.