Imgonnamissher

Rabbit strip fouling

27 posts in this topic

Just curious as to what methods you all use to keep rabbit strips from fouling on your hooks. Does the length of the strip come into play in relation to hook size, or are there guards, thread bumps, etc. that I am missing? I tried a simple fly with the strip off the back and a zoo cougar/muddler head, but the dang thing was wrapped around the bend more often than not. Any and all help is much appreciated (frowned upon by pike and stripers...)

I picked up a VERY cool trick in the keys a few weeks back. I'll send it to Gilby for a tip of the week. Stay tuned...

Mono loop,

Tie a piece of 30# mono on one side of the hook. Extend back about 1/2 the length of the shank, then loop around and tie off on the other side of the hook. This will make a loop off the back end of the hook. It will support the strip and help it from fouling. The rest is up to you.

Staying with the mono theme, you could use a straight piece of mono (as opposed to a loop). What you do is poke a hole in the hide of the tail section of the zonker strip, stick the mono through the hole, then carefully burn the the end of the mono so that a small ball forms - which prevents the mono from slipping back through the hole. If you have Bob Pop's book Pop Fleyes, this technique is described in there.

I'm not sure how necessary that is vs using a mono loop as described before...but if you like a nicer presentation, this might be something you'd want to consider.

View PostStaying with the mono theme, you could use a straight piece of mono (as opposed to a loop). What you do is poke a hole in the hide of the tail section of the zonker strip, stick the mono through the hole, then carefully burn the the end of the mono so that a small ball forms - which prevents the mono from slipping back through the hole. If you have Bob Pop's book Pop Fleyes, this technique is described in there.

Genius... I like this one!!clapping.gif

Thanks Bob and albacized!!smile.gif

View PostStaying with the mono theme, you could use a straight piece of mono (as opposed to a loop). What you do is poke a hole in the hide of the tail section of the zonker strip, stick the mono through the hole, then carefully burn the the end of the mono so that a small ball forms - which prevents the mono from slipping back through the hole. If you have Bob Pop's book Pop Fleyes, this technique is described in there.

I'm not sure how necessary that is vs using a mono loop as described before...but if you like a nicer presentation, this might be something you'd want to consider.

Take it a step further by tying knot below the loop so the strip wont slide down the mono either.

Or you can tie a small bunch of bucktail,the same color as the bunny,along both sides of the hook extending a half inch beyond the hook curve.Gives the fly a little more action too.biggrin.gif

I've also heard of simply adding some epoxy to the bottom side of the hide so that that is remains stiff and won't foul...I haven't tried that method for myself yet though.

I tie a little bucktail out the back first and like to use Bob Pop's idea with the mono extension piercing the rabbit strip and holding it out the back of the hook a bit to keep the strip from fouling.

And I do one other little thing that helps keep the strip straight; just back from the little melted ball in the mono I take a small pair of pliers and put a 90 degree bend in the mono, and I tie the mono in so that this bend is pointing up, perpendicular to the hook shank and rabbit strip. This seems to help the bunny tail lay flat and straight. I'll try and post a couple pics to illustrate what I mean.

I love Bob's book and all his great ideasicon14.gif

I personally have never had that much succcess with any of the mono loops/stiffeners keeping rabbitt strips from fouling. I love the action of rabbitt strips, I use them exclusivly on my snake flies. The method that I have found most successful is using bucktail as Maniac reffered to, but I tie it all around and add a light coat of Softex about 1/4 of an inch back from the bend. You dont need alot because you are not trying to penetrate the bucktail but forming a "buktail tube" to capture the rabbitt and prevent it from fouling. Just another possible solution, hope it helps.

Dave

along the same lines of the epoxy idea, I use a little hard as nails on the skin at least an inch or so back from the bend. soak it good and wait till it hardens up. Works pretty good.

Been using the mono line idea some time now on my new rabbit stripped pike flies, works really great with the technique shown earlier in the thread, but it doesnt prevent fouling completely ofcause. I've found that a tad slower casting style with a bit more open loopes often helps preventing it further, if u start casting franticly and add too much speed to the line it happens more often :/

I dont like the ideas of stiffening the skin itself since a major part of the rabbit strip patterns are the great motion of the tail section, which im sure provokes many strikes wink.gif

Posted (edited)

I like CGG's method, but I like going all the way through.

Edit - Hi FlyonFish1, please don't post links to other commercial sites. Instead please share your personal thoughts, ideas, images, and videos. Thx ~ Gilbey

Edited by Gilbey

Thick Mono through the tail and doubled and attached to the shank and a dab of glue

then continue to wrap the strip itself around the shank to the eye

stupid simple and my best all around fish catcher 

FE976EB9-28CE-4B1B-8FFF-0696FFCA1AC8.jpeg

2196E82C-1EF0-4C74-87CB-D8F6117554CB.jpeg