Fishfinder Transducer - Silicone or Vaseline?

OK guys, started talking about this in another thread but it was kind of buried. I am planning on gooping a piece of foam to the hull with a cutout for the transducer. I was going to use vaseline, but thinking now I should use silicone. Worried that vaseline won't work too well since I store my yak upside down on my truck rack for transport.

Should I go with the silicone and if so what type would you guys recommend? I understand I need to be careful with airbubbles, so if there is advice on this I am all ears.

Andy, I use 3M 5200 slow cure. Make a pile in the spot you want to place the transducer, big enough around to cover the entire bottom of it. Aplly it slowly to keep from trapping air inside it.

Scuff the bottom side of the transducer with some sandpaper and press it down all the way. Do not wiggle it around. Let it set up over night and you should be good to go.

OK, I think I will stay away from Vaseline since I tranport the Yak upside down. So Silicone or Goop? Am I right that silicone will be a less permanent solution and goop is permanent? If I go goop, really don't have a need for the foam to hold the tranducer do I? headscratch.gif

I used 5200 on my first yak and it popped off when the transducer was directly on the cross bar of my car. Ever since then I've used marine goop. While I have never had the transducer pop come off the goop is just thick enough so that you can get a putty knife between it and the hull to work it off if you need to switch the 'ducer to a new hull. Just did that for my replacement Hobie.

Same with fittings. I was able to take off my Scotty mounts also with a bit of work.

I never liked the "permanent" idea, so I've been using goop for the last four years - and it has worked extremely well with no problems. As for Vaseline, I used that method for about 3 years prior and that worked fine...with one exception.

When I bought new roof racks, I was forced to place my yak on the hood upside down. If you are in this situation and you like to leave your yak on the car for any extended period of time (even one day), the Vaseline will turn into a soupy mess on a hot, sunny day and the it is unlikely whatever you use to keep the transformer down (duck tape), will lose its hold.

My buddy has had the same transducer taped up with Vaseline for 4 straight years and has experienced no issues...then again, he places his yak right-side up on his truck.

Kikkoman Pro Staff

With 5200 you may not be able to remove it. With goop you can.

You can make a deep holder for the vaselein by cutting out a piece of closed cell foam from an old boogie board. Drill a hole in the middle big enough for the transducer using a hole saw. Glue the donut in place using goop or spray adhesive. Then place the transducer inside the donut of foam in a bed of vaseline. Then take the plug out of the hole bit and slice a piece off creating a cap that you can insert inside the donut and on top of the transducer. A slice from the side allows you to run the wire where the center bit had been in the plug.

To test locations for a transducer you can place the transducer in a plastic bag with a little salad oil and moveit around in the boat while checking out the signal.

BARRELL

I tried Vaseline, but didn't like it come summer. I ended up using goop and it was good but when I got a new yak it was a pain to transfer. Not bad getting out but a pain to remove the old goop. I don't remember what silicone I used, but I had no complaints last year. I will find out how it held up over the winter, but I don't expect any problems.

View PostI gotta question, if I gooped my transducer onto the bottom of my boat can I remove it and use it on another boat? doeas anyone have any pics of their transducer in their boat attatched in these various ways? Ive seen some different sites,but not here.

The answer is yes. That is the reason why I use Goop rather than a permanent application, as my fear was that I'd have to buy another transducer if I needed to move my fishfinder to another yak. Although it takes a little work, the Goop will allow you to remove the transducer less any possible structural damage to the yak.

Kikkoman Pro Staff