Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dlevitt

Clarification on Rod ratings

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

I'm still relatively new to this, so please forgive the "dumb" questions...

When I see specs on rods, I see medium, medium-heavy, heavy, fast, etc. I know that I can use some common sense here, but I have a 7' MH rod and a 9' MH rod. I've got to believe that the 9 footer is much "stronger" than the 7 footer. Is this a relative term for the size of the rod? Can I assume that action deals with feel rather than strength? Thanks.

David

The terminology to rate or classify a fishing rod is not standard between manufacturers. Further a 9' rod rated as MH may not necessarily be "stronger" than a 7' rod also labeled as MH...a rod labeled MH will seem stiff (strong) or limp (soft) compared to other rods similarly labeled. Depends on several variables that are not standardized even within the same manufacturer's rod model/series... However, the designation of M (medium), MH (medium-heavy), H (heavy) or XH (extra-heavy), albeit a relative term(s), can give an indication of rod stiffness which can be correlated to rod "strength"...but again all relative...

Action, for the most part, implies the rod's bending characteristics...a fast action rod generally means that the rod under load imparts most of or the greatest degree of "bending" in the upper part of the rod...these rods are sometimes called or labeled "fast taper"-comparatively speaking, the increasing diameter of the rod blank from the tip down, happens quicker... Although subtle when you look at a rod the smallest change in the rod's taper can change it's action a lot! A slower action rod generally has less taper and bends under load further down the rod in the middle or even lower section of the rod...

Hope this helps.

Poppy

I find most of the rod load ratings as totally useless and have little bearing on the actual rod performance. At best it is very general and vague. If you are using one particular brand and model series then it can gave you some (mis)guidance.

I have two Daiwa rods, both rated Med, the 7' Eliminator rated ¼-2oz and 9' Sealine-X rated 1-5oz. The 7' is stiffer and can handle 2 or even 3oz without a problem while the 9' feels overloaded with just 3oz. On the other hand my Tsunami Trophy is rated for 1-4oz and cast well in the rated range.

I wish manufacturers had a better system for ratings. A rod is nothing more than a spring, kind of like a leaf spring on a truck or limb on a bow. I would like to see manufacturers put either some sort of spring constant or the amount of deflection under a certain weight.

Throw in the fact that the rod ratings are for the intended usem (trout, surf, inshore, jigging, tuna trolling, etc.). An inshore casting rod rated at MH will be far different than your 12' MH surfcasting rod.

The ratings are good for giving you relative casting strength/action relative to the other rods within a particular lineup for a particular manufacturer. Beyond that you will have some trouble correlatng the ratings.