Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Darth Baiter

Pencil popper - tie direct or use a snap?

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

Since the action of a pencil popper seems to be a combination of up and down rod motion while reeling - per Gibbs, can you get more action by tieing direct? I can see where a snap or loop knot might not work as well because of the swiveling at the point of contact with the plug. Does it make a difference? confused.gif

I always use a short leader, 18 - 24" as I have power pro on the reels and don't feel like cuting my hand with it. So a leader is always on my rod. 30 - 40lb flouro is all you need. If you're using mono, you could get away with just a snap but why take the chance? Toothy critters are all over now.

D.J.

try both ways and see what action you like..

some of my pluggin sticks i have a short leader with a duolock others i have a long section of heavy mono spliced right into the main line..

Shoot who knows what I like but, the ability to change a plug quickly with a snap and I do think a popper swings further without the bogging down from line weight.

Plus you can use a snap to hook to your guide so you don't look like a goof while driving your car.around with a lure dangling around and smacking your rod.

I guess you can say I'm a snap kind of guy.

I use Crows! confused.gifwink.gifbiggrin.gif