Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Spigola

I'm so confused

Rate this topic

46 posts in this topic

This is unreal. Someone on another site mentions a large taken and killed and weighed at a tackle shop. I commented that I thought it would have been better to weigh the fish at the water line and release it alive to spawn. Other readers began with derogatory comments toward me and came to the aid of the the guy who took the fish. I did have one person , known to me, speak up in my defense but it seems the rest were OK with the fish's demise.

What happened to the conservation we are supposed to be practicing???confused.gif

Spigola

spigs the prob is man ego.they all talk a great line as any fisherman would,yet when it comes to brass tacks only a select few (namely most here) would return the fish back to make more fish for the future unless the guy was feedin his family,thats one thing man,but for status its the pits in my book and most i knows as well.i see idiots down back a my house at the river pullin shorts thinkin they landin godzilla man.pathetic at best.

It's an individual thing, maybe it was the guys largest fish ever. I release most of the keepers I get, maybe 99 percent but that's my choice. Everyone has an opinion and you were fine by expressing it, toobad they got all defensive about it. oh well.

Spigola, that's what you get for going to other websiteswink.gif Around here, we all do what we can to allow others to respectfully have differing opinions. Some people wanna kill 50# fish, some people wanna let 50# fish go - so long as it's within the law, both are entitled to do what they want. There's no doubt that a conservation minded anger would release a genetically superior cow like that - and if they didn't that's fine, too. I've killed plenty of fish in my lifetime, I may or may not kill more. But my general attitude these days is since the striped bass is under 10 times the pressure it's ever been under before, somebody better start letting the damn big ones go to pass on their superior genes! Ahem....sorryicon15.gif

Everyone's entitled to their opinion here, even mewink.gif

TimS

Tim,

You are right about other sites. And - HUSH MY MOUF' - never again do I give my opinion on what to kill and what to release.

I hope I am around when these same people complain about the low bass stocks in years to come though.

I remember when I pinhooked for bass about 40 years back. I was young and foolish and never thought we'd see the end of the bass. Well we both know what happened.

I am glad and proud to be known as a person who is concerned with the protection of the stripers. Oh, I still take an occasional one home for the table, but being mostly a flyrodder these days, they are few and far between.

Good job here Tim. Always been fun to jump aboard a discussion.

Spigola

HappyWave.gifHappyWave.gif

Spigola:

It's a touchy subject & everyone's got their opinion - and even those opinions are subject to variation based on such factors as the size of the fish, the mood of the individual, etc. I release practically everything I catch (keep one for the table from time to time. When I'm fishing w/ someone & they catch a legal fish & ask me what they should do, I always say the same thing: "Everyone's got to make that decision for themselves."

That being said, I think that you should continue to voice your opinion because it is a good one. You may take some heat, but maybe it will also make some think about it the next time they are faced with the decision.

I don't eat fish, therefore I don't keep them for myself. The only time that I will take one is if it's in the 30lb class during late fall. The reason that I do this is for the upcoming holiday season dinner for my family (Christmas Eve). The total that I take never exceeds two for the season. The reason that I take the larger ones is not for showing off, but rather because of the amount of filets I get out of them. This may seem unorthodox in todays "surfcasting climate", however I'm kind of old school in my ways.

I'm not a marine biologist by any means, but it is my understanding that the larger bass (36"+) do not participate in the spawning process. I could be wrong here though.

As far as keeping bass in general, I cringe every time I see someone carrying a small (28") bass off the beach. I always keep it to myself & think that maybe it was their first one ever and are real proud of their accomplishment.

Then there are the commercial guys. many friends of mine still maintain their license & receive approximately 100 - 150 tags per season. Right??? Wrong??? All I know is that they have families to feed. By the way, the fish that they are allowed to keep must be either smaller than 24" or larger than 32" so as not to deplete the optimum spawning size hatchery. (or somewhere in that size range)

These are just some examples of typical reasons why someone would keep a bass. Everyone has their own wants, needs or opinions. As long as it's within the legal limit!

Here's a suggestion though, on how we can all help out the fishery without arguing over the point of whether or not to keep a legal fish:

I know this may sound rediculous, but there are thousands of members on this site. If each and every one of them made it a point to teach only one inexperienced fisherman, who was willing to listen and learn, how to properly handle and release a hooked fish this season, I'm sure that there would be a benefit to the bass stock. So many times I see people stepping on fish with corkers or trying to unhook one while it's laying out of the water for an extensive period of time. Most of these people are simply afraid of touching the fish. Why not take a few moments to go over, ask them if they would like some assistance and if they agree show them how to hold a bass by the lower lip. One could express the importance of getting the fish back into the water quickly and what to do if the fish goes belly up. There are so many things that can be simply taught in only a few moments of our time. This lesson, I can guarantee, will never be forgotten by the fisherman you helped and will also help cut down on the number of fish that die each year due to a careless release.

Sorry for the long, boring and rambling novel. I get carried away sometimes!

Gotta watch those other boards. Some run on a lot of bile and testosterone. And don't tolerate newcomers. Can be fun, just don't expect the same "feedback" that you would get here.

As far as releasing fish goes, it's legal and who knows what he kills each year and what he does with it. If it is one of a handful of fish that his family eats, I support him. Stripers are gonna die. Aren't most tournaments catch and kill? And those are the "sportsmen", not the meat fishermen. Hopefully those fish aren't wasted.

Personally, I'd rather eat a younger fish. Actually, I'd rather eat a steak.

Someone please get Green Machine out of his coma!!! All large bass are females and take part in the spawning process. I let all my BIG bass go. Yes, I released a 50lb fish once!!! There are not enough LARGE bass around to be killing them.

Enough said.

Well How do I know that 10 lber isn't a fifty in the making??? Lets say I catch 300 fish and keep maybe five with one being a fish over 40 lber In my eyes I have done a great job at protecting the fishing stock. That means that I let 295 fish go. Can you tell me how many of those 295 fish have the potential to become 50 lbers? Or should I keep those 299 fish and release that one 40 lber? It takes numbers to keep a healthy fish stock, Not one fish. Think about this which fish is closer to an old age death that 50 or a 295 younger fish. Which fish will have many years to spawn while the other has put her gene pool in for the last time. So to me taking one fifty is not a problem. Taking more then your a glory hound. Now in truth I probably would let the fish go. The people we should ride are the guys who keep them all. In most cases they are blackmarket fishermen thinking of a quick buck.

Hey TOMMAT,

I was just giving my honest personal opinion. I didn't once say that what I, or anyone else does within the legal boundaries of the law is correct. I was just adding another angle and suggestion to the thread.

TELLING OTHERS THAT I SHOULD GET OUT OF MY "COMA" IS UNCALLED FOR. IT IS FOR COMMENTS LIKE THIS THAT I OFTEN REFRAIN FROM POSTING MY OPINIONS ON THIS BOARD.

If you feel comfortable keeping little bass with many years of spawning ahead of them, so be it. I think that Winch's take to the whole thing is a perfect description as to how this will REALLY help the fishery.

Now THAT is more than enough said.

Oh please spare me your crying.Why don't you be a little more realistic and go back and re-read the tone in witch it was posted.

Everyone knows the guy that caught a fish tries hard and this is his first ever bigger fish after countless trips .And how exactly you expect us to react when you start your post"WOW!! Another dead cow that won't spawn again."

I thing you are misguiding conservation stance by most anglers , they are much more interested in catch and release than you might think.I keep a fish or two a year but I fish four to five nights a week .

And I still don't have a problem with him keeping his first decent fish. Now if he kept it to weight it in and then in ended up in a garbage container behind the shop as big bluefish used to in the 80's .......

basschaser

Hey Z,

No crying involved here. And as for the tone and possibly being out of line in the Fishing Reports, which may have hurt someones feelings, I already was man enough to apologize to all involved.

All I am saying is, that like TimS our moderator here, I believe that the large fish should be released to spawn and pass on their superior genes to successive generations.

I think most of us keep couple of fish a year, but the large have to go back, bottom line.

OK, I can deal with a new fisherman who after fishing hard becomes excited with a large bass just caught and takes it home. However, I can't condone a striper fishery where taking and killing large fish on a steady basis is approved of. Unless, of course an individual is on a limited income and has a family to feed.

Bottom line; I may have been a bit overzealous in my comment but fact of the matter is THE BIG ONES HAVE TO KEEP SWIMMING OR WE WILL NOT HAVE A VIABLE FISHERY!!! I already saw that happen once during my lifetime and am trying to maintain what we have for all, including all the newbies and all of the kids out there.

That, Mr Z, is why I am so conservation minded.

Spigola

BTW, Triet, I agree. Give me a good rare porterhouse steak at Luger's or Sparks. Umm Ummmmm.

That Calstar rod is an awesome bottom fishing rod.

SpigolaHappyWave.gif