Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Flysurfer

Best reel for St. Croix Triumph 10' Surf Travel

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

Hi

After reading and searching in this great forum I decide to get in and ask for some help. First of all forgive my english skills and thanks in advanced for your input.

Im looking for a reel to match my St Croix Triumph 10' travel rod in the range of 200 usd (more or less) and I can only but it from Cabelas or Bass pro Shop's. My main fishing targets are snook, barracuda, permit, bonefish, Jack's , Dorado, baby Tarpon.

I like the Daiwa Tierra 4000 but I read that some people are having troubles with this reels. The daiwa Sol is good but it has less line capacity than the Tierra. I like the Shimano Stradic 8000 FI because of his line capacity but I don´t know if this reel is too heavy for my rod. Also I like the Sabalo's 3500, but after reading the review in this forum (thanks for that) I think that they are better options in the market.

So, what would you buy?

It's 20.5 oz reel weight too heavy for the St Croix rod?

Thanks again.

Hi. I've got my eye on this exact rod as well - they're not shipping yet as far as I know. Delayed or backordered everywhere. I bought a Shimano Spheros 8000 on closeout that I plan on pairing with this rod + 30# braid. I also have an Okuma Salina 55 that I will try on it as well. The Spheros 8000 weighs 19.5oz; the salina 55 - 15.4oz. Hope this helps.

Oh yeah if you search the boards here alot of guys will recommend matching a Penn 704/704Z to a 10' rod. Those reels are 23oz I think.

20 oz should be perfect. some are expecting them to be heavy, but they are not.. the penn 6500SS weighs bit more. go with the shimano

Thanks for all your kind words

Im gonna see the Quantum, the Okuma, Penn and other options that you mention.

Now I have a better perspective of the weight of the reels and a lot of new options.

Just got the reel, finally I went with the shimano stradic 8000, love it. The only thing is that the spare spool is damaged, the "little lip" where you put the line (don't know exactly the name) is broken as you can see in the picture. But I contact Paul N, BPS Miami Sales Manager, nice person btw, and he already send me another spare spool.

Still waiting for the rod

Thanks for all your input.

I see you bought your reel already. I too want to purchase this rod. The reel I will be buying is a Shimano Baitrunner 4500B. It weighs 22.2oz. Let us know when you receive the rod and how it performs.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Greetings All,

I have a ST Croix 10' 6" Triumph surf rod with a Penn Battle 2 8000 that I've been wondering for several years if it is the right size or too big. Similar to Fly Surfer question. I need some help also. The pole and reel  I used twice and with advice from the Penn REP I found on this forum, I completely disassembled and reassembled the reel to get it like Brand New due to stiffness and bad grease. The reel and rod are actually brand new 6 to 7 year old gear. 

I been wondering lately is the 8000 too big for the rod? It's 10'6" Medium Heavy Moderate Fast. I plan to take it out first time in over 5 years. I fish off the Surf in Virginia Beach and the rip tide can get pretty powerful at times. I also go to the OBX and plan to use it there also. Any comments will be helpful.

Edited by Bate Caster

12 hours ago, Bate Caster said:

Greetings All,

I have a ST Croix 10' 6" Triumph surf rod with a Penn Battle 2 8000 that I've been wondering for several years if it is the right size or too big. Similar to Fly Surfer question. I need some help also. The pole and reel  I used twice and with advice from the Penn REP I found on this forum, I completely disassembled and reassembled the reel to get it like Brand New due to stiffness and bad grease. The reel and rod are actually brand new 6 to 7 year old gear. 

I been wondering lately is the 8000 too big for the rod? It's 10'6" Medium Heavy Moderate Fast. I plan to take it out first time in over 5 years. I fish off the Surf in Virginia Beach and the rip tide can get pretty powerful at times. I also go to the OBX and plan to use it there also. Any comments will be helpful.

8000 is a pretty big reel, that’s close to 30 oz. It’s fine if you are using it for bait fishing and putting it in a sand spike, but the 6000 size is way more suitable for plugging. 

10 hours ago, Fish_Magic123 said:

8000 is a pretty big reel, that’s close to 30 oz. It’s fine if you are using it for bait fishing and putting it in a sand spike, but the 6000 size is way more suitable for plugging. 

Thank you for the Info. I also have a Penn Spinfisher 6500. The information that I'm getting is that the 6500 Spinfisher  is probably a better fit for the Triumph vice the 8000 Battle II. Also, my 6500 is a much smoother reel.

I would like to use the Battle II for the surf also.

After reading your reply I looked at a 12' Heavy Bigwater Ugly Stick 10 to 40 LB mono. Will that be a better fit for the Batlle II 8000?

Appreciate any information. 

13 hours ago, Bate Caster said:

Thank you for the Info. I also have a Penn Spinfisher 6500. The information that I'm getting is that the 6500 Spinfisher  is probably a better fit for the Triumph vice the 8000 Battle II. Also, my 6500 is a much smoother reel.

I would like to use the Battle II for the surf also.

After reading your reply I looked at a 12' Heavy Bigwater Ugly Stick 10 to 40 LB mono. Will that be a better fit for the Batlle II 8000?

Appreciate any information. 

Spinfisher is a solid reel for the money, I have two in the same size as you and fish them hard. That 8000 Battle you mentioned though would be good on a 12 foot rod for bait fishing, it’s just way too heavy imo for repeated plugging. I would put your 6500 Spinfisher on a 10 or 11 foot rod and use that for plugging instead. 

On 3/3/2008 at 0:10 PM, Flysurfer said:

Hi

After reading and searching in this great forum I decide to get in and ask for some help. First of all forgive my english skills and thanks in advanced for your input.

Im looking for a reel to match my St Croix Triumph 10' travel rod in the range of 200 usd (more or less) and I can only but it from Cabelas or Bass pro Shop's. My main fishing targets are snook, barracuda, permit, bonefish, Jack's , Dorado, baby Tarpon.

I like the Daiwa Tierra 4000 but I read that some people are having troubles with this reels. The daiwa Sol is good but it has less line capacity than the Tierra. I like the Shimano Stradic 8000 FI because of his line capacity but I don´t know if this reel is too heavy for my rod. Also I like the Sabalo's 3500, but after reading the review in this forum (thanks for that) I think that they are better options in the market.

So, what would you buy?

It's 20.5 oz reel weight too heavy for the St Croix rod?

Thanks again.

I have a Shimano Spheros 6000 on a 10' Triumph (2-pc model), and I like it. To answer your question, is a 20.5 oz reel too heavy, probably not, but I would say that's the upper limit. The 6000 Spheros I believe is around 16.5 oz, while it works fine, I wouldn't want anything lighter. So something between 16-20 oz would work good on that rod IMO.