Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bounty Htr

Crab patterns...

Rate this topic

52 posts in this topic

Talking with my buddies yesterday we all decided we should add a crab pattern to our boxes. Propbally should have done this yeras ago.

Post up some of your favorite crab flies used for Stripers, Weakfish, Flounder etc. Recipies would help. Looked thru many of my pattern books last night and have a few ideas. Lets see what you got.

Velcro crab.

This one works well when skittered slowly along the bottom...note the grizzly hackle "claws" in the defense posistion

sorry about the horrible picture.

Bounty Hunter - Check out Caolo's Diablo Crab - It is very simple to tie and looks alive in the water. It was in flyfisherman magazine last year I believe - around this time.

View Postcrab-colored clouser...easy and effective.

sometimes any colored Clouser. redface.gif

Check out BobPop's Crab Fleye- it's an easy tie and effective to boot.

Well... euh, hum hum i use true small crab to make the fly.

i use some epoxy over it and i place a baid chain on the bottom to keep the crab in the right position, i use silicone for the legs but i'm not satisfied of the color and i don't know how to paint it:

here are the exemple of legs i really would like to tye:

http://www.weizter.org/Images/HiromiKuboki.pdf

I have had success with EZ-Body crabs.

The pattern was originally marketted by Orvis as the Flex-Crab (bottom left). I also stole some ideas from Rich Murphy's excellent "Defense Crab" using suede chenile for legs.

ezbodycrabs.jpg

The neat thing is you can put anything you like under the mesh...weight and its sinks, foam and it floats....rattle and it, well, rattles - you get the idea cwm40.gif

Here's a step-by-step for anyone interested .....

http://www.avsharp.com/flies/ezbodycrab.htm

My "Sea trials" with circle hooks resulted in a lot of missed takes but I think thats a function of not having a wide enough gape. I'm sure other more inventive than me will come up with improvements. But if you do stick with "J" hooks, please crush those barbs down and carry some long nosed hemostats opr pliers.