Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
joefishalot

a friends reels?

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

i was over a buddies house returning his tiller and told him i had finished cleaning up all my reels and all.he asked if i could do his instead of him going to the shop.i said sure i didn't mind.i got them home took the first one apart and was amazed at how much sand was in it.now my question is do any of you know anyone with nice equipment that really doesn't take care of it?to me it really seems like a waste to buy the stuff if you are going to treat it that way. confused.gif

I think I still know more guys now that dont take care, ie; simple home service, of their reels, than before I found SOL.

I know more guys now, and the majority service their stuff. But it seems to me that better than 50% of the guys I see/know on the beach dont. And of course those are the ones complaining about reel failure or the price of parts and such rolleyes.gif

I service my stuff to the point of obsession. With my $$$'s the way they are, I better take care of what i now own.

Got a good friend that is the absolute opposite. I just serviced a ABU 6500 CT Elite for him and it had never been serviced in 3 years. It had salt caked to the gears. Told him if he did not take better care of it, next time I serviced that reel, he would not get it back. eek.gif

Around here,more guys will TOTALLY ignore any maintence untill something happens.Then they buy another cheap reel. rolleyes.gif

I've seen a guy lose a nice SB and then say "oh,yea,that drags bad and Its stuck now" Another had to flip his anti-rev on his spinner just to give line to a fish....in a rip biggrin.gif The handle was flying around so fast,he had to try using his arm to slow it down.I was laughin out loud even before I heard the inevitable "SNAP"

How about an outfit bouncin around in the back of a pick-up most of the week.

As you can imagine,pawnshops end up with some sorry set-ups......

Because they know that I maintain my own,I get asked but I dont get trapped into looking at a friends reel anymore,unless its headed my way.I dont tell anyone that I have a rod lathe either.Its not worth the agravation.

I have a buddy Keith (bailtwister) on this site... he doesn't post anymore since the "kids" arrived but he would buy a "silver" series Penn like a 103c etc. every year, fish it a few times, throw it in the trunk and never wash it down or lube it and the thing would literally explode into dust on the first cast the following season. rolleyes.gifhammer-time.gifcwm27.gif