Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BW

2008 J Bay tourney

29 posts in this topic

After making a best efforts attempt to fish this tourney the last few years and never making it up, I have comitted myself to go this year. I am starting to get organized and was wondering if anyone here who frequently fishes J Bay would be willing to share what bait is tipically present that time of year. I am not a huge fan of trolling and prefer to spin or flyfish. I would assume this time of year would have smaller baits ( sandeels, spearing, anchovies etc..)..? Any help would be greatly appreciated..headscratch.gif

this is your chance for some BIG weekies. I beleive Craig and his boys had a nice run of them last year on the day before the tourney. fluke were pretty thick too. fish were hittin everything. tubes bucks, storms, flys.

6 or 7 inch rubber shads in bunker or pearl are great fish them on the huge sloping drops.

Bring some smack it top waters for first light back in the muscle/sods.

Tube and worm will catch you everything. Also try 2 oz tex and hopkins.

Bring heavy leaders the blues are thick in there. Stop by the wolfpack tent city and introduce yourself.

Imagine crusty secretive old salts. Now do a 180 degree turn. Thats the wolfpack. We take all comers.

Can't go wrong with a wildeye, bring several sizes, match the hatch. i think i;ve been using 3-4 inchers, up to 6 inches. Also a whiter/bright green jig tipped with white.bright green combo's. Going to try a cajun thunder this year and see if it makes a difference. Scott

Thanks for the info gents...also i was wondering..I do have a place to stay about a half hour away, but I was thinking about camping at the site. Are there any public facilities or are we talking 5gal buckets..??

there are porta potties there(bring your own TP!!!), but not showers, so bring a solar shower or somethin of the like.

AND MAKE SURE YOU BRING stakes or a LOT of weight for your tent. you'll most likely be camping onthe tarmac since the wolfpack will claim the grass(and theres probably a lot of ticks in there), and theres only about 1" gaps between slabs of concrete). last year, my dinky stakes ripped out during that windstorm at night. I had to grab a generator a 110qt cooler and everything I could find and put it on the wind side. then the wind started bending the poles of my tent and pushing the tent on top of me. I had to end up getting out, taking it down, throwing my yak on top to stop the tent from blowing away, and sleep in my truck!redface.gif

Hey BW,

There are public facilities, not the greatest, not the worst I've seen.

Part of the whole experiance is camping out there.as Ship said,stop by the Wolfpack, you can't miss it beers.gif

Just wander around and don't be shy, you will be able to hook up with a group of guys who have been there and fish with them.

We bring maps and will show you where and what.

All the lures mentioned will work, but don't rule out trolling. It's a big area and when going from spot to spot throw out a plug and troll. I got my biggest weak that way,over 10 lbs doing that there.smile.gif

I am going for the first time also this year. I have just started making my own TNW in red about 12+" long. I have also been assembling some tackle along the lines mentioned. Question: the rod and line comes up. I have a MH and M rods one rated 20-40 the other 15-30. The 15-30 fits in my current rod holders the 20-40 butt is too big and would require a new holder. Which is better setup strictly for the TNW. I have lighter rods for swimbaits. If possible I would like to use the M rod with 30lb braid for the TNW. Having never fished in salt or used the TNW I do not know if this is good enough.

M

be careful if the butt is too long.

The whole point of the beefier rod is to battle bigger fish, but if you get one and cant manuever the rod its a moot point. the 15 to 30 should be just fine.

View PostAfter making a best efforts attempt to fish this tourney the last few years and never making it up, I have comitted myself to go this year. I am starting to get organized and was wondering if anyone here who frequently fishes J Bay would be willing to share what bait is tipically present that time of year. I am not a huge fan of trolling and prefer to spin or flyfish. I would assume this time of year would have smaller baits ( sandeels, spearing, anchovies etc..)..? Any help would be greatly appreciated..headscratch.gif

tube and worm outsfishes everything else there-be prepared with all of the safety gear and be in decent shape as there is lots of water to cover-two years ago the wind kicked up real good and the ride home was awful-last year it was actually cancelled as a result of wind

Yes PS, if we have the energy left. We are out all day. I am getting there on Thursday. That will probably be the night I get out.

We have had cold windy days the last 2 years. Odds are......oh well I better not say it.cwm13.gif

I'd love to make it this year. I fished it 3 years ago with my buddy Dan who won the fly division, a 33" striper (I have the drawing I did for him in my signature-the 3rd from the left). Lots of great people.