Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Rowdy

plug bags?

Rate this topic

20 posts in this topic

Have used the Bronco, the Canyon, the B&W bags. I have found then to be good bags. When the Aquaskinz came out I tried them and this is what I use presently.

Aquaskinz, single row.

Aquaskinz, belt bag.

Aquaskinz, small pouch on belt.

All but the single row is in it's 2nd season. The single row is new and performing well. Made a few observations to them and they are making some changes to their bags to incorporate recommendations made by users of their equipment.

I have a whole bunch.

The Surfcaster's "Ultimate" bag is well made, but it doesn't hold enough big plugs to suit my purposes.

I have both the 10 tube and the 21 tube Canyon bags. The 21 tube one is great. It holds plugs like Mega-Baits, 2-3/8 oz Superstrike Littleneck poppers, Gibbs Stubby and Habs 1.5 oz needlefish in the small round inserts along the front. You can double up on things like 6 or 7 inch Bombers, 1-1/2 or 1-3/4 oz Superstrike needles, meduim Gibbs or SS darters, etc in the medium sized insserts in the middle row, and in the 4 largest inserts along the top, you can double up on things like 3-1/2 oz Dannies or A-40s, 3-1/2 oz Gibbs pencils, 3 oz bottles, the 9" 3 oz Habs needles, and so on. Plus, the side pockets are big enough to hold two spare 706 sized spools apiece, or two jars of pork, and even a spare conventional the size of a 6500 Abu or 400 Calcutta smile.gif

Giant bronko bag bought from Tim, good for mamouth plugs.

Large aquaskinz bag, use this the most, versitile and very well made. Needs room for bagged rubber like storms, otherwise perfect.

VS double row bag..Nice but spendy, well made and light, good storage, and can hold a lot of different size plugs.

I use a single row Bronco for backbay areas (using smaller plugs 5" minnows-7" bombers)and a BW belt pack for bags of storms, bucktails, tins, first aid kit etc. When I am throwing larger plugs I use the BW belt for larger storms, bucktails etc and a Mountain Cork double row bag for plugs. I hate the Mountain Cork as hooks get caught at the bottom and the plugs rattle around too much mad.gifhammer-time.gif . I plan on getting either the Aquaskinz single row or maybe a Canyon.

Canyon 10 tube icon14.gif ...well made and not too expensive.

B&W belt bag icon14.gif ...decent quality and inexpensive...

The Aquaskinz and Surfcaster bags, the latter of which I use, are well thought out and very well made, but IMHO just too expensive...

Poppy

BW - cheap to keep, durable and light, plenty of room for plugs, jigs 'n tins. $35.

Aquaskinz makes great stuff but far too much $ for the product - just plain overpriced.

But it's all good...maybe I'm just jealous?

I have a homemade belt bag made out of a surplus demo bag and a cheap single row bag. Square slots are better than round ones.

I keep looking at the big Canyon bags but keep wondering if it's not too big to walk with all night. I would like a bag with giant tubes like the Canyon if they made it with the big row and the normal row.

I have a bunch of different bags Canyon, Surfcaster, BW and the one I like the most is the single row Aquaskinz. Great size. It carries plugs, tins and rubber lures effectively. It is costly but I think given how pleased I am with it. I understand that many people are putting grommets in the side pocket to help draining and I am going to look into that in mine.

I had the VS bag since 1999 and it takes all the beating I give it. 125 trips a year, always underwater and still holding up well. I inherited another VS bag that was only 2 years old and in excellent condition. Prior to that, I had a custom bag made by North Shore Canvas that I used for 8 years. I still got it as a spare.