Anchor Alternatives

Rate this topic

A dumbbell will not suffice as an anchor. You need to consider that your anchor is a piece of safety equipment. In the event that you lose your engine the first thing that you should do is anchor and radio/call for help. If you can't anchor or move under your own power your vessel is at the mercy of the current and wind - which may mean entering busy boating channels, drifting onto a jetty or breaking surf. Any one of which is not good and if fact very dangerous. And if it happens in the dark its much more likely that it won't be a pretty outcome.

Get a good anchor and enough rode that you can hold bottom in most any condition and depth that you'll most likely encounter.

Tell your buddy not to be penny wise and pound foolish.

America, the country so great that even its haters refuse to leave. 

The ideal anchor depends on the type of bottom that you will be dropping an anchor on. Here is Wikipedia's thoughts on it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anchor

For my old 14' Jon Boat I used to use a plastic coated mushroom anchor. I think it was either 6 lb or 8 lb. I used this boat for mainly fishing in the Magothy River and never had any real issues. I liked it because it didn't scratch the inside of the boat and if someone stepped on it they didn't get hurt since it sat out in the open.

This is what it looked like:

boat-anchors.jpg

Good name for the boat - "Dumbbell". Perhaps he should save more money and bring a shovel instead of an oar, maybe some ballons instead of life jackets, and you can always use candles or something for navigation lights.

An anchor is a basic requirement for coast guard minimum equipment and safety compliance. A small Danforth anchor will suffice. You can get them them for next to nothing, and they will hold in a variety of bottoms. Ideally, you need 5 to 7 times the depth of water for sufficient anchor scope. Do the math.

They type of anchor to use will vary based on the type or waters you boat in..If the boat is used mostly in ponds, small lakes, slow moving creeks/rivers, etc. a 10lb Mushroom anchor would suffice nicely.. So would the old cement filled can w/I-bolt trick, but personally my time is worth more than the 20 bucks it takes to buy a real anchor for a boat this size.... As mentioned above, a small danforth may be a bit more versatile, but they really need a chain as well to work properly, so Mr. dumbell may wanna keep it simple. If the boat is used in rivers with moderate current, a river anchor (which is basically a mushroom with flukes cut into it), may be a better choice.. Another option would be a Navy style, which has heavier flukes than a Danforth allowing it to be used in most cases without a chain.. However these will be more $$..

View Post He told me that he's going to just use a dumbbell instead.

What's he going to do, tie a rope around himself and jump in. In the words of Forrest Gump...."Stupid is what stupid does". So in other words, should his boat get caught in a current and needs to anchor up in a hurry, he's going to rely on a dumbbell tied to a rope to keep himself and his vessel safe? Common...what a dumb ass.

"Luck is when preparation meets opportunity"
"Obsessed is a word the lazy use to describe the dedicated"

View Postthe boats going to be used everywhere and anywhere around hilton head SC that my friend and i can get to safely, and yes the boat will have oars and motor

I understand boating costs can rack up but an anchor is essential- I can only picture how hilarious it would look from shore, probably like something out of a movie, two guys in an aluminum boat who lost engine power drifting into a waterfall when they try to throw their 20lb dumbell overboard and the thing drags. In reality if I was the guy in the boat this situation would cwm31.gif

Not only would a $20 danforth have better power than the dumbell you plan to use it will be a whole lot lighter and easier to use than having to pick up a dumbell. When is his birthday?