Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
baadbobby

Any experience fighting a red light camera ticket in Maryland?

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

Just got a red light camera ticket in Bel Air, MD. Thinking about "guilty with explanation" as it shows the road was wet, and I was doing the exact posted speed limit. Anybody out there familiar with fighting one in Maryland?

Not sure about MD but in NYC it's like a parking ticket. Just a fine and no points. By pleading guilty w/ an explanation you're admitting you were the one driving and opening yourself up to points on your license. Not sure if MD has reciprocity with other state's DMVs.

My son got one when we lived in MD but I saw no reason to fight it.It clearly shows the car going through the red light.You just cant explain that away.I think the fine was $75 but you are not guilty,the vehicle is.Thats why you will not get any points against you.Like Frank points out,if YOU plead guilty,things could get worse.

Review the video and see if you were in the wrong. The video tells it all. Usually, you will not get a red light violation if you enter on a yellow caution light. You probably entered the intersection when the light was red. You bad. biggrin.gif

Sounds like they are just in the money making business. If its just a $75 fine pay it and be done with it. Wet roads are not an explanation as to why you ran a red light. In fact because of the conditions you should have been going slower, perhaps a careless driving ticket could be addedheadscratch.gif . Doesn't sound to me like your innocent, doing the speed limit whilst running red won't get you anything but found guilty.

No points. Fine max is $100 + court fees. I live right up the street from the courthouse, if court is on a scheduled day off, I would consider going to get the fine reduced. It is probably less risky to just pay, but I believe the yellow was shortened when they put the camera up. If they really want to reduce accidents, then they should consider overlapping reds.

Two things to remember :

The speed limit is a Maximum Speed Limit, that means the Maximum Speed you chould be driving in "perfect" conditions ie no traffic, daylight, dry roads. Most states have a safe speed section that spells out how going the speed limit can be to fast.

Regardless of you thinking the yellow caution light was shortenend they are still several seconds in lenght, more then enough time to react and bring a vehicle to a stop at the proper speed for the conditions present.

If its a no point ticket at $100 dollars pay it your chances of convincing a judge that you didnt are slim. HEs got the same picture/video that you do which means he can see the violation happen. Officer testimony in red light cases with out pics and video usually results in convictions and the judge cant see what happens. Ive heard all the excuses as has every judge out there they dont hold much weight.

The driver is supposed to be in control of the vehicle at all times. Doesn't matter if the road is wet or icy. It's your responsibility to go a speed where you can control your vehicle.

Time to pony up the cash.

What about the aspect of blaming the correct person? What if you were not driving the car. Burden of proof would be on the state similar to toll violations where you can claim you were not driving and, therefore not be responsible for the infraction. i.e. EZPASS. I received a toll violation cause I did not present my transponder in the correct way, received a mail violation and, just to test, responded that I were not driving and therefore not responsible for someone elses actions. EZPASS dropped the case.