Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BrianBM

A Modest Proposal

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

The next time some idle adolescent wanders onto the board to tell us it's all lousy ... don't respond. Jon got exactly the response a teenager wants - lots of hackle-fluffing from the adults. If one of the gang has the technical savvy to trace a pest back to the school network and copy the correspondence to the computer teacher, that's great. Otherwise, ignore the beast, it's more likely to go away.

This site stinks!!!!!!!!

just kidding it's awesome biggrin.gif

That's a good idea. Most kids thrive off of attention. I've resisted the darkside vader.gif ... well maybe not on the "other site" but here I have smile.gif

------------------

Ryan

><{{{">

BassHunter@Home.com

[This message has been edited by BassHunter (edited 05-02-2000).]

I had considered that when I first read that post...but I figgered it'd be ok ta give the little fella what he was looking for...but I didn't do it until I had traced his IP and found out he was using the schools network. Here's my thinkin'....lots of folks poked good natured, polite, and pleasant fun at the little fella....and I was giving him some proverbial rope ta hang himself with. I didn't remove his ability to post...just to see what other stuff he would say when he found out he was certainly in the minority in his opinion...at least around here! So...he was either removed from his schools network...or he is a bigger little fella than I thought in that he didn't post again. I kinda figgered he'd put up some cursing and screaming post...then I'd remove his login here and then I'd have some real ammo to present to his network administrator.

Sometimes the plan works...sometimes it don't...but ya can't blame a guy for tryin'! wink.gif Next time, I'll again play it by ear...I hate to remove threads...and all you fine folks didn't reply to his thread until after I did, thank you...that way I got to make the call on how to handle it....you guys are best biggrin.gif!

TimS

Am I to understand that if anyone posts something on this board considered controversial that they're IP will be checked and their network administrator will be notified. Anyone posting from work should be careful about what they say. As for myself - I'm outta here.

Hey Bonehead....uh-um....I mean Boneacker...Tim knows who is true and honest, and who does and does not want to start a bunch of ***** on here. If your that worried then you must be a troublemaker:E......Look out...here comes your boss....get back to work!!!!!:p

Bonacker, let me try to clear up what is obviously your misunderstanding. As you peruse even the first page of the message index---and without even going back to the 6 or 7 pages of threads that represent just those initiated or updated in the last 20 days--you will find no shortage of ones containing controversial topics, honest but repectful disagreements, and even an argument or two. No, no one is going to be pinged and reported for controversial posts. What won't be tolerated is ABUSIVE posts. IMO, and IMO only, it would take an extreme degree of abuse, going beyond the bounds of all decency into the profane, for Tim to report something to a network administrator or employer, everyone realizes that a livelihood might be at stake, and that only extreme offenses warrant that extreme a response. Two people in the 6 months that this site has been in existence were removed as members, and in neither case was anything further done than removing their membership privileges--even after one of the two re-registered a second time under an alias. In the case of an adolescent making abusive posts, however, as a parent, I would think that I would want to know if my child were acting irresponsibly on the computer, and also, school administrators should be informed that their systems are being abused--because kids tend to pull stunts like this on other web sites and will continue to do so until caught. Another thing I think you should know before you exit in a huff, it was obvious from the e-mail address this kid used to register that he did so for the sole purpose of causing this kind of trouble. The two people so far who have been tossed initially came here with good intentions of behaving responsibly, but proved incapable of such behavior after repeated warnings.

Anyhow, that door is a two-way one. It'll be open for you if you change your mind and come back.

[This message has been edited by Ditch Jigger (edited 05-03-2000).]

DJ, nice of you to take the time to clarify things most of us already expected. However some people will always take things to the extreme, and its hard to convince them otherwise. I would be disappointed if the administrators didn't react on this board, it keeps people coming back! Good job!

Errr...yea, what Ditch said! wink.gif

I think the word here that you are using Bonaker that is incorrect is "controversial". Geesh, I start half the controversial stuff myself! If someone is willing to come to this site, post crap like "this site sucks", register with email addresses like "youknowho"...they are certainly entitled to my full attention. When I noticed it came from a school, I thought the school might like to know how the students are using their network.

Online, there is no such thing as anonymity...there are ways to find out who posts what...it's nice that way! As Ditch said, I'm not a tattle tale, I'm not going through people's IP addresses just to tell their boss who's online and when...but as a defense for the well being of this site and it's folks, I am capable of such. You're more than welcome to leave, stay, or come and go as you please!

TimS

I want to apologize for my outburst that was probably uncalled for. I thoroughly enjoy this site, especially the posts by Mike. I got a little nervous with the suggested threat of notifying Network Administrators. Mike, thanks for the explanation - I feel alot better about posting here now.

I was surprised at the number of responses to the "this board sucks" post. I don't usually waste much time responding to Beavis and Butthead wannabes trying to get the latest and greatest technical info on couch fishing.

This board.. heh heh heh... it sucks... heh heh... Yeah, like... heh heh... he said stripers, heh heh heh...