Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
passiton

Syrup time

Rate this topic

197 posts in this topic

Got blown out of a NY trip for steelies due to weather a second time, but looks like a good thing. The forecasted temps for the next weeks up here have us licking our chops. Freezing at night with 40 or better during the day means it's time to sink some taps! I'll be posting on an ongoing basis with pics between now and the end of the sap season sometime in Mid-April.

Washed 40 5 gallon buckets and tops, cleaned 100 taps, cleared the BBQ pit (still looking for more firebricks), washed two 55 gallon drums, test driled and tapped to find the right bits, and we are ready to go. We made about 3 gallons last year, tapping late and figuring it out as went. We're planning to produce 20-30 gallons this year, with a marked increase in quality. This is a family project and a starting point for lessons on economics, agriculture, physics, and biology for my homeschooled kids.

My oldest daughter will bottle and sell to make $ for a set of bag pipes cwm31.gif and a small surfing kayak. Dad will put some up for sale or trade for fishing gearwink.gif.

make sure you sugar off enough to have a private stash to sell yourself

then you will be sure to have enough money to pay your daughter NOT to play the bagpipes!

i used to live in an old log cabin in a little "town" in upstate new york named Sugar Bush- outside of plattsburgh

Sank 26 taps today into 13 buckets. It's definitely starting to run! Nothing like seeing that first drip when you've waited all year. If these run well, we'll drop in another dozen tomorrow. Another 70 taps will go in later in the month, although I am tempted to put more in now. Tap too early and the holes start to heal. Tap too late and miss the first and best sap runs of the year.

Doing the math: 100 taps @ an average of 2 quarts a dayx30 days=6000 quarts or 1500 gallons of sap. That's 12,000 pounds or 6 tons of sap to haul by hand. Ouch! Plus side is that will make 40 gallons of syrup. Yum!

We could get more or less than a 30 day run, it all depends on temps.

My daughter the entrepreneur with the equipment, drilling the first taphole, waiting for signs of sap before tapping, and the first tap starting to flow.

View Posti'm in when you start selling!!!

I'm in as well, and if you wanna mail to TLDig or I we can figure out delivery....since we live so close it would save on mailing to two separate places. wink.gif

View Posti'm in when you start selling!!!

TLDig,

If we get a run this week and can make syrup, the first few bottles are for a Fling donation. Next one is yours, on da' house for your recuperation and for being a good sport. Feel better soon sister! HappyWave.gif

I'm a dumb-***. I even listened to your theme song the other day on that other thread! cwm27.gif

Wait till my wife hears that I offered to slip my sap to a Valkrie! cwm31.gif

Hope a good laugh speeds the healing. Please note the edit to my previous post. wink.gifbiggrin.gif

Just a few degrees above freezing today (damn that weatherman!), but we still collected 10 gallons. Should hit 50 tomorrow and stay above freezing for about 36 hours. I'm guessing we'll collect another 30 gallons by Thursday, bringing us to the 40 needed to boil off the first gallon.