Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Nemesis

NJ Access

Rate this topic

24 posts in this topic

Does this help:

full enjoyment of the foreshore necessitated some use of the upper sand, so that the latter came under the umbrella of the public trust.

Did'nt help me.

We are entitled to some undefined area just "upland" of the "foreshore" for rest and relaxing. I am guessing, since the mean high water mark is ours, this means about 10 ft of dry sand.

Entitled to the beach above the high tide mark, and a way to access that area. Every town should have public right of ways at designated distances to access the beach, right through someones ocean front property or condo complex if need be...

So why is it that you need to pay someone $5-$10 so you can walk from the boardwalk to the water in Avon, Bradley Beach, Belmar, Spring Lake, Sea Girt, Manasquan, Point Pleasant and probably dozens of other NJ beaches? Then when you get there, they tell you not to fish. They tell you to get off the rocks.

That's not the kinda access our forefathers pictured cwm13.gif

TimS

Take it to court! The municapalities have lost that one.

Who can afford the time off and even money for legal representation? They know 98-99% of us can't . . . that's why they do it to us. We just keep taking it. mad.gif

Legally, you can't be punted from the beach if you are below the high water line. And if you are fishing, Legally, you can't be thrown off the beach, the rocks, or anywhere else as long as you are not fishing where people are swimming. Moreover, you are also granted the right to access the sand leading to the fishing area. As far as sunbathing or swimming, you gotta pay. At least in Jersey.

Any homeowner or cop that tells you any different is either ignorant of the laws or a liar. J.J. LePresti, who owned this shop for 21 years was very active in fishermans rights.Being almost entirely responsible for opening more public accesses in our area and having illegal barricades removed. When I took the shop, I said I would never get involved in that stuff. Well, Never say never. I'm currently working on having two illegal barricades removed from public access ways near me. Both done by property owners. The problem is that where thay put the barricades was not their property and was done in both cases without permits or permission. Local Code Enforcement did nothing, Zoning and Planning did nothing, The Mayor did nothing. Now it is in the hands of the Deputy Attorney General. It's a shame that you gotta fight like a tiger to keep what is already yours.

Access is definitely a problem.

Legally, you can't be punted from the beach if you are below the high water line. And if you are fishing, Legally, you can't be thrown off the beach, the rocks, or anywhere else as long as you are not fishing where people are swimming. Moreover, you are also granted the right to access the sand leading to the fishing area. As far as sunbathing or swimming, you gotta pay. At least in Jersey.

That's the way I know of it . . . between high and low water marks and access to that sand (however limited). But nothing about above the high water - that's news to me.