Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Rumble Fish aka Poppy

A toast to TimS...

Rate this topic

54 posts in this topic

I like to take out a moment here to raise a toast to TimS for his leadership and conviction to share with us all his valuable resources of time and knowledge about surf fishing and in particular Striper fishing. I have met but just a handful of people in my many years on the water that exhibit all the talents that Tim possesses. Whether it be his acumen on the subject of Stripers or just simply the way he articulates his thoughts through the words he writes. And I say all this without ever having met the man, let alone watched him fish. Actually, when I first started posting at WMI's SFHP, Tim and I immediately locked horns...and we continue to do so on rare occasion. But squabbles aside, I still find myself following him and reading his words. And now he has taken upon himself to start this Web site for all of us hopelessly addicted Stripermen.

So, here's to you Tim... May the best days of your fishing past be the worst days of your fishing future.

Rumble Fish aka Poppy

amen brother. I've never posted too many things here or on the other boards but always enjoyed all the knowledge you've shared here. You've taught me more on these boards in the last year than i could have picked up in years of experience on the beach. As a rookie to this I can't say enough of how much you've helped. Hope you have a wonderful Holiday Season

Here, here. I salute your diligence, Timothy. To be honest, I don't have a clue as to how you find the time to do all the things you do. You're a remarkable guy with a good heart in my book. Truly, I wish you and your good wife a very Merry Christmas,

Hear, hear. And as one who has cast a line with the Tim-meister, and who considers himself no slouch with a rod and reel, you will not be disappointed, Poppy, when the day comes that you and Tim share a jetty. Forget Doug Hannon, I now know who the real "Bass Professor" is. John M says that Tim is part striper and I'm starting to believe it.

Gee, does this mean that I have to mold an extra posse badge now? smile.gif)) The posse has been disbanded, in any event.

Thanks Poppy -- that needs to be said more often. There are a lot of boards out there and lots of fishermen on them, but nobody gives it up day in and day out like Tim.

Mike Y

Well I'll gladly raise a glass to all of those fine sentiments, and add my own note of appreciation for our fine host's generous and sharing nature.

Hmmmmmmmm. Lemme see now... there's a fine bottle of some exotic Polish potato vodka around here that a subcontractor dropped off the other day........... wink.gif

Poppy

I stopped indullging in a bit of the grape 15 mons ago but, I will say that a toast is in order, (verbally smile.gif ).

Some day when you meet Tim you will find out in person, he is one H--- of a fisherman and friend.

Thanks Tim. See ya after the holidayssmile.gif

Walt

I agree, Cheers this is a great place, kudos to Tim for creating it......JP I have no idea where he finds the time either, I think there may be two of him.....

I'd just like to echo the sentiments expressed here and add one thing, a hearty Praise the Lord!

The fishing prowess we have seen or heard of in Tim is a developed natural gift. The nature and personality that he demonstrates on line and in person is a supernatural one, given by a supernatural being. I thank our God for you Tim, may He bless you for the way you treat your fellow man.

Hugh

I wanted to reply to this yesterday, but you guys were doing such a fine job, I thought I'd not interrupt you wink.gif

Let me say thanks to all of you, for it is having friends like you that make the sharing, caring, and the efforts on this web site so worth it. Poppy, you're alright in my book, no matter how many times we've butted heads...thank you for the thoughts and wishes.

I am but a humble fisherman, blessed in many ways by God, certainly blessed in the friendships and aquaintances that I've made in the past year, I pray that the same God bless each one of you and your families this holiday season! You all are the reason I share what I've learned and I learn also what you share, it's a great thing!

TimS

I as well will drink to that one! Tim has proven himself to be a do'er and not just a complainer (a very rare quality today). His actions speak far louder than his words! (though his words are very impressive at times wink.gif

Tim's affection towards the sport of striper fishing and those that participate is unequaled. His willingness to share the wealth of knowledge he has accumed over the years still amazes me. The patience he shows in repeating the same testimonial over and over to those new to the sport is to be commended. His foresight to recognize the need for striper fisherman to have a place to openly exchange information and the time and money he has invested in delivering such a place few if any would do. Kudo's my friend!

Happy Holidays to you and yours and may GOD Bless you all!

Jim Funston

Did someone say Polish Vodka ???? I'm in!

When I first started reading Tim's posts on WMI, I was a bit skeptical about him. "How is it that this guy is this good and I don't know him" was probably my first thought. Having had the pleasure of fishing with him quite a bit recently, I can confidently say that Tim is te real deal. Not only a great fisherman but a true gentleman.

I haven't had the pleasure to meet Tim or anyone else from the boards (not that I know of at least). But i will say that I probably wouldn't have caught as many fish without listening to what is discussed. Tim as well as everyone else deserves a toast for sharing there knowledge and creating an atmosphere that is so enjoyable to particpate in. Most importantly, a toast for not compromising their knowledge and always being able to put life into perspective. Happy Holidays to you and all of your families.

A True Story....

Yes, words of thanks to Tim are in order. May I indulge for a little bit:

I have been fishing the brine since I was three years old under the guidance of my grandfather, the late great Dr. Otilio Giordano. He lived in Wildwood Crest, where I would spend the summer. We'd go out on the Cape May jetties and we'd catch loads of weakies and fluke on bucktails, or go out on the Wildwood Crest pier for blues. However, striped bass were a total myth to us, to the point where we believed they didn't exist. (I'm the clown that started calling them "unicorns") Around 1991, my brother and I began fishing the Monmouth jetties in search of the mythical striper. To show you how successful I was, from 1991 to 1998, I caught exactly 22 stripers over the course of several hundred trips. Yup, that's 22. Snicker, snickerwink.gif

This year, a buddy and I began pounding every waterway known looking for stripers. We drifted bunker on the Hudson, took my bass boat out in Raritan bay, threw clams in Spring Lake, you name it, we did it, and from April to August 1, 1999, we caught exactly Zero bass. We were going loony toons. We stumbled upon the "other board", put up a few posts, and lo and behold, Tim came to the aid of us two bumbling buffoons. He offered to take us out to see what we were doing wrong. Man, what an experience that was! He sized up our gear, showed us what we were doing wrong, and took us to some of his secret spots. It took a jetty or two before we connected, but sure enough, Geoff and I scored and the curse of the unicorn was lifted. since then, while Geoff and I are now by no means striper aces, we scored some quality fish this fall and are counting the days until spring.

So here's to Tim: You turned our fishing around 180 degrees, and that's something that money can't buy.

He may be able to "Occasionaly" catch bass, but he sure got yellow this morning when it came time to meet the 205 pound piece of North Jersey Steel for a day of blackfishing.