Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
glasgowdan

Anyone know line capacity of TLD 5???

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

I remember ordering the 5, 10 and 15 when my Bass Pro catalog arrived. About $65 each. Fished them a couple months and returned the 5 and the 15. The 10 was my jigging reel for a long time. Wore the black off the spool. I've bought and sold a bunch of 5's over the years, but hardly ever fished them. People fish them until they lock up, then I buy em. smile.gif Prices got crazy at one point and decent drag washers were going for more than the $65 original cost of the reel.

I think that I have the pdf's for service diagrams for the 5 and the 10 if anyone wants them.

Shimano doesn't factory service them (not for at least 3 years), but I've torn apart a few, usually to reassemble ones out of the best parts, and they are fairly straightforward to service. Just don't lose any parts. The gears need grease, the drags need to be degreased and that is about it. Occasionally a TLD parts kit will Ebay for big $. They include everything you might need to rebuild a lot of reels. If you ever need a drag washer, remember that the spool assemblies on Ebay generally include the drag washer, drag plates and a bunch of little parts in addition to the spool itself.

The reels are incredibly cheap in the design. The screws thread right into the graphite body (no brass inserts), and the spool shaft rides in the a hole in the graphite body (no metal bearing cup). The graphite is known to swell over time, binding the spool shaft.