Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jettyman

Anybody out there still using MONO

Rate this topic

31 posts in this topic

I recently spooled my Penn 4500ss with 30# power pro - The reel casts great and loads tight to the reel, but I don't like it. I guess I'm just used to the feel of monofilament - I hate using terminal tackle and you are forced to with this stuff. - I'm taking the braid off tonight and puttin the Ande's back on. I guess I'm just old school -

p.s. I've only fished with line about 5 times - do you think I will have any problem loading it onto a Corsair 400???

so far i've only put braid on my ditch stick...i like the added sensitivity with jigs to feel the bottom...otherwise, i still have mono on my live bait rod and my schoolie/bone rod and i have no plans to change anytime soon...

don't know anything about the power pro, but the whiplash i use has worked very well so far...

Jetty- I was askin myself that question the other day biggrin.gif I love mono. I am going to try some kinda braid soon cause i had a scary experience w/ a large fish and I didn't quite have enough line. I figure trying braid will save me a few bills on a new reel, but that lami/vs outfit is more tempting every cast I make wink.gif

------------------

Matt Baker

Custom Tied Flies

Bristol, RI

I still use mono on everything. The never ending supply of Dick's free line spooling coupons in the NJ Fish & Wildlife Digest plays a big part in that decision though! biggrin.gif

After going to FIRELINE I can't even cast with mono. Ask BIG COUNTRY. He saw my pain the other evening when I shifted back to mono for the night. I love the feel of the synthetics -- you can detect a fish swelling behind your plug before he even strikes. What's better than that?! Just got to train yourself to wait for the hit!

------------------

THE KID [a.k.a. "BLACKBALL"]

I've fished PowerPro for 3 years now, and have switched back and forth from PP to Mono on my Corsair a bunch of times. They both work great on that reel, but This past Spring I decided to switch to 30lb Fireline on the Corsair, and after watching Ron's long distance casting video a few times, I got inspired to learn the art of dumping the reel on each cast. I can tell ya that with a 1.5oz sinker clipped onto the end of my line, the Corsair 400 with 30lb Fireline is a super smooth casting machine. This Spring I used it from a boat to catch a few nice Stripes from the Raritan. I think you'll like the way the Corsair casts with the braid. I'd suggest Fireline over PP for the reel. Just my 2 cents.

mono schmono... I hate the stuff... I only use it chunking off the boat for bass and blues, everyhting else gets Fireline...

I can attest to the problems "the kid" had with mono, two casts and the whole reel blew up... i had to rescue him with my back up set up in the car...

bc

I use only MONO but I'm going back to braid as soon as I get a nautil 6500 and a new Lami.. I tried Braid last year and I didn't have any luck with it.. But it is without a doubt better for plugging..

ErikT

You guys ever heard of this stuff called "saltwater fusion". Someone gave me a spool after he loaded his reel with it and didn't like it because it was putting grooves in his guides. I have an extra spool that I was thinking of putting on one of my old Penn bak up reels. Is it any good?

I only use mono at "the point" in Hatteras or when I am fishing next to Critter Gitter biggrin.gifwink.gif He hates braid, especially when it gets wrapped around his mono...Long Story.

I love my Power Pro...castability and sensitivity are just to good to not use it.

allenC

on my lil abus fer schoolies i use braid,on my spinners i use mono,i didnt like the wind knots when popping on top with braid and havin ta play line pinch for a tite wrap,on some of my larger conventionals i use braid as well but mostly mono.....