Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Skate Bait

Penn 525 MAG Casting Reel

Rate this topic

32 posts in this topic

What's the consensus on the Penn, 525 Mag casting reel?

I found it for $119.99

I have been using a spinning reel but would like to try a casting reel this year.

Is this a good place to start?

It's an excellent casting reel, with a good drag, excellent ergonomics, and mechanically more then adequate for anything you will find in the surf north of Florida. It is smooth in use, and makes the earlier, pre-Mag GS525 feel crude.

The factory magnets are much too weak for good control, and for whatever reason, Penn refuses to sell the better UK version in this country. It is too fast for most anglers to use with plugs or with braid. It wants to be loaded with mono, which is more thumb-controllable then braid, and it wants to be handled on a moderate action rod (rod action has a lot to do with the problems you have, or don't have, with any conventional reel). It's a great reel for fishing bait for anything. It's a good reel for precisely controlling a jig or tin, vis-a-vis the bottom. Two hours tossing light plugs into the wind with it and you'll swap it for a Ron Popeil outfit.

There are 40 zillion threads on how to tweak this reel here, if you Search.

I started out conventional casting with a penn 525 ... Worst decision I ever made.. I must have destroyed 4 light years of mono in the first year...

That reel is "not tame" its a banshee out of the box... if you never used a conventional buy an ABU first... get the feel ... next year get a penn 525..

That penn put me through hell.... in the hands of a beginner its a ticket to disaster.

View PostI started out conventional casting with a penn 525 ... Worst decision I ever made.. I must have destroyed 4 light years of mono in the first year...

That reel is "not tame" its a banshee out of the box... if you never used a conventional buy an ABU first... get the feel ... next year get a penn 525..

That penn put me through hell.... in the hands of a beginner its a ticket to disaster.

Sounds like you got one of the ones with a few mags reversed.

Great Reel I want more.

2 extra mags and it is a *****cat. If you are going to be plugging, start with a levelwind Abu and hide the 525 in your sock drawer. Next year BST the Abu and break out the 525.wink.gif

If you leave it in the box and chicken out, you should be able to get $119 back next springbiggrin.gif

View PostI started out conventional casting with a penn 525 ... Worst decision I ever made.. I must have destroyed 4 light years of mono in the first year...

lol. Not you John.

I've had a few over the years, but I'm familiar with conventional reels, and they're a BLAST. But what John says is very true, if you are new to the conventional scene.smile.gif

I just bought a second one today.

I don't think it's impossible for a beginner. I think he should start with mono, use it for baitfishing for a bit, and then try tins & plugs. What's the big deal about blowing up mono? The stuff's cheap enough, and a few daytime blowups are a necessary part of everyone's education. When he's feeling ambitious, he can try bucktails in a channel, or rigged eels, or any fishing he wants that involve a payload of 2+ oz.

Grab it now for $119 and put it aside if it's too hot to handle. Learn on something "tamer" first. Then come back to the Penn. It's a great reel and you'll probably never find another one priced that low--they're going for $150 now.

FWIW---I didn't find it to be all that wild a beast. I added extra mags to one, and kept the other as is out of the box. With extra mags added, it's as tame a reel as I own. Tamer than my Newells.

Blowups are like skinned knees on a five year old. You'll only bleed for a little while and you'll have something to laugh about when you are old and creakywink.gif

imo i think they are excellent reels for a beginner. tighten the cast control knob, and put the mag settings on 8, and you should be fine. but if your first starting to throw a conventional, dont use braid, use mono. its easier to control. for 120 bucks, i would get it, and if you dont like it, put it on the bst forum

View PostDitch, what's your preferred arrangements for adding extra mags?

The HO conversion from Tres. Installs in less than 5 minutes with a screwdriver.