Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Chigger

Any experience with the Loomis 11'3" two handed rod?

Rate this topic

113 posts in this topic

What are your impressions of this baby?

I will be looking strongly at this rod for my first two hander. I'm thinking of the 10/11.

Can I use the same Rio outbound 10wt. that I can ude with my one handed rod?

Thanks

Chigger,

I have one on order - should receive in 2 more weeks. Spoke to Steve Rajef and Clayton Schumacher (sp?), Loomis Rep in the N.E. I told them I wanted to do some overhead casting AKA underhand casting - no spey - both rec'd the CC 11'3" 4pc as the way to go. I wanted something lighter for the flats but they do not make anything suitable; although I am also still thinking about their Stinger model (Scandi Spey) in the 7-8wt, 12.5'.

Clayton said that the 11'3" taper is the same as their old Mega Rods - which I liked.

Herb L

Let me know if you get one first.

View PostChigger,

I have one on order - should receive in 2 more weeks. Spoke to Steve Rajef and Clayton Schumacher (sp?), Loomis Rep in the N.E. I told them I wanted to do some overhead casting AKA underhand casting - no spey - both rec'd the CC 11'3" 4pc as the way to go. I wanted something lighter for the flats but they do not make anything suitable; although I am also still thinking about their Stinger model (Scandi Spey) in the 7-8wt, 12.5'.

Clayton said that the 11'3" taper is the same as their old Mega Rods - which I liked.

Herb L

Let me know if you get one first.

Carlton Schumacher is the NE rep for Loomis. He knows his stuff.

Chigger,

I have the 12/13 rated for 525 grains. Casts an Airflo Two Hand Beach Line well. Really rocks with the Outbound 12 weight which has a 510 grain head.

Very light in weight, fast recovery, and that Loomis fine fit and finish. Saltwater resistant hardware, of course. Good price too. A best buy and best all-around in my opinion.

HL - I also have the Stinger 7/8 and it likes a lighter line for overhead casting. I use a saltwater 10 weight line or an Outbound 9 weight (375 grains). Lovely lighter line rod but more expensive than the Crosscurrent.

I really dig these two hand rods for beach fishing.biggrin.gif

View PostFoulhook,

You are correct - Carlton not Clayton - sorry.

Herb

Not nit picking you. He is a good freind and a great fly fisherman. I have a lot of respect for his opinion. Don Demoss is the Mid atlantic rep for Loomis. He is about as good as they get. Carlton is rather new to Loomis. Don has been around for a decade with the company. Both guys will tell you the same about that stick.

I may be the owner of a fly rod/reel company but you will never here me say anything bad about Loomis. They make some of the best rods on the planet without question.

Tight lines, Bob

I have both Loomis 11'3" Crosscurrent Rods, the 10wt and the 12wt.

My initial interest with the two handed overhead casting was with the CND 11ft rods, I had the 10wt and 12wt rods, both 3pc. The 12wt worked best with a Rio Outbound 13wt line and was very stiff, the 10wt was a soft rod with the Rio Oubound 10wt. They were traded off for the Loomis this past spring.

The Loomis are a better balanced design, the 12wt casts very nicely with the Rio Outbound 12wt in F/S or F/I design and with T-14 shooting heads.

The Loomis 10wt is a sweet rod for the Rio Outbound WF10 F/I line and is a pleasure to cast all day. Much better casting rod than the CND.

I use Abel Big Game No.3 reels on both rods, nice light weight combination.

Regards,

FK

Good morning FKROW

Can you please explain for me,

"The Loomis are a better balanced design, the 12wt casts very nicely with the Rio Outbound 12wt in F/S or F/I design and with T-14 shooting heads.

The Loomis 10wt is a sweet rod for the Rio Outbound WF10 F/I line and is a pleasure to cast all day. Much better casting rod than the CND"

A better balanced design ?.

better than what or how .

Much better casting than the CND rod,

why or how ?

Many thanks for your advice,

Kind regards,

UB

Uncle Barry 5,

These are personal observations from owning and casting both the CND and Loomis rods. The 12wt CND felt rather stiff and required more precise timing, the rod felt best with a 560gr head or the Rio Outbound 13wt-14wt lines (which are not longer manuf.) The Loomis 12wt just felt smoother and was still a fast action rod, it loaded (for my style of casting) very nicely with the Rio Outbound 12wt lines.

The CND 10wt rod felt somewhat soft for a 10wt overhead casting rod, it was not really a fast action and flexed too deeply into the lower butt section (for my casting style, others may prefer that type of flex). The Loomis 10wt is a nicer casting 10wt and the Loomis designers nailed the action for the Rio Outbound 10wt line (again for my casting style).

The CND rods were two very differnt action (flex curves) the 12wt was strong and stiff and the 10wt soft and much more flex bend.

The Loomis rods are like a match pair of fine shotguns, one 20ga and one 12 ga. They flex and feel very similar when casting.

To give the CND credit, these rods were early initial groundbreakers in 11ft two handed saltwater rods and the 12wt will really cast a long line with the correct timing and line weight. If the Loomis rods were not introduced, I would be very happy with the CND rods.

Regards,

FK

FK

Where does that leave the Loomis Stinger models?

Have you casted any of the 12 1/2 and 13' models???

Might they have an eaiser motion - slower stroke required?

I have been steered towards the CC 11'3" 10-11 as a better OH caster. Would like to get a pair or rods. Either the CC 10-11 and the CC 12-13 - or one of those and a Stinger.

Any opinion?

Herb

HL,

I cannot comment on the Loomis Stinger two handed rods, never had the chance to cast them.

My 12 ft rods are the Sage 6126-3 and Sage 8126 these are the older 3pc rods (pre Z-Axis design). I have tried the T&T 12ft for 12wt but only briefly on the lawn, not enought to comment on it for fishing.

The 12-13ft rods will be easier casting for distance and line control however, the 11ft rod are better fish fighting and fish handling rods, does that make sense?

If you are mainly interested in distance,,,,the TFO 12ft for 12wt is slightly better than the 11ft Loomis rods. I have recently purchased this rod but have not cast it. I have a friend who owns and fishs the CND 11ft 12wt and also owns the TFO 12ft, he claims longer distance is easier with the 12ft rod. This is with the Rio Outbound lines,,,,,the custom shooting heads with T-14 may be different due to the stiffness of the CND rod.

Regards,

FK

Chigger:

I picked up the Loomis 11' 3" 10/11 in the spring and use it with the 10 wt Outbound, which seems to have been made for the rod with it's 425 gr. head. I'm still in the learning phase with this rod, but so far it's been a pleasure to cast. It's a lot less effort than with the single handed 10 wt.

The only problem I've had was having to upgrade my stripping basket to handle the amount of line being cast. The running line on the Outbound can be a problem at times and a basket with tall cones helps a lot to prevent some nasty tangles.