Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Slayer25

surf fishing in Puerto rico

Rate this topic

28 posts in this topic

Bring a lot of top waters....poppers, pencils....I went around the island when I was there on some shoddy rent a car service, and couldn't do peacock bass, but I can tell you, there are some big tarpon in the bays, if you don't want to get on a boat.

View PostI forgot to mention that I have also heard rumors, just rumors, of there being tarpon and snook in golf ponds of many of the coastal golf courses...anyone know if this is true?

That's true but to my little knowledge the golf course in question is at a resort on the San Juan side. Can't think of the name.

View PostGoogle Omar Orraca- he does inshore and offshore fishing

FWIW: Omar and his fishery, San Juan lagoon and near offshore, and the other guides in the area are off the San Juan airport. I think that's a good ride from Rincon. Probably better off hiring a guide closer to Rincon IMO

View PostI forgot to mention that I have also heard rumors, just rumors, of there being tarpon and snook in golf ponds of many of the coastal golf courses...anyone know if this is true?

Im almost sure it is , there was a video by Spanish Fly tv show catcing permit . Let me find it and check if it was Puerto rico .

i will be in rincon on the 27th of jamnuary and will be bringing a poll and some swim baits. ive seen people spear fish alot  and come up with some nice fish. stay away from steps there is alot of sharp corals and people snorkeling. up near the airport there are a ton of beaches with some cool rock formations that hold a ton of fish

Any of you that went down do any good? We are stayhing in Rincon and Cabo Rojo, which is just south of Rincon. I'm taking a total of four rods. A 12' heaver, a 10' heaver, a 9' spin cast, and a 7'6' spin cast. I plan on using a few rapalla saltwater swimmers such as the magnum and maybe some broke backs. im going to hang around at the dock to see if i can get any cut bait for my heavers. hopefull i will find some cliffs south of Cabo. Anybody got any other ideas. Please be specific because i don't really know my saltwater lures with the exception of hopkins and a few drum lure spinners. thanks in advance.

Just wanted to re-up this thread because I'm heading down to Rincon next month and wanted to take a few casts from shore (even though I've never seen anyone fishing from shore down there). Anyone have any more specific lure or bait recommendations? Thanks a lot.

I only read a first few replies but there isn't many places to fish rincon but the few there are great for surf fishing esp. Tarpon. I was down there for a week every day off the shore I hooked into 10 tarpon daily 40 to 90 lbs. Landed 2 out of the bunch I lost only because I was a walmart shopper in PR. There is 1 Marina down there next to a snorkeling diving place that is your best chanceyou can use frozen baby wahooyou will need at least 30 pound braid then you will need a hundred pound test of monofilament 06 08 hooksno wEight at all you want the fish to float dead.the bite usually runs 5 a.m. Till about 10 a.m.

I figured it out when I got down there. The best way is to go to a hotel called Villa Cofressi. Even if you don't stay there it is a very popular place so you can park and walk to the outside bar where you can walk down to the beach. The great thing about this place, besides the fact that you can fish feet from the bar (order a pirate especial and take a cab). The best thing to do is to hit the supermarcado across the street from the resort. Buy a pound of frozen squid and bait some small hooks. The resort offers jet ski and other water rentals during the day so they keep a light pointed on this section of water at night, which attracts fish. You can catch red snapper right from the shore. I never got any large enough to keep but I'm sure if I stayed there and really fished I would have. I was on my honeymoon so fishing wasn't the sole purpose of my trip. Anyway, small hooks like you would use in freshwater lakes for brim or crappie with small bits of squid and you'll get at least one keeper red snapper. You can hook into snapper from the shore too on the east coast with a shallow water crank bait. Not going to give the exact spot but its between Loquillo and Fajardo. Enjoy!

Heading to Rio Grande in October. Wife wants to yak around Bio Bay, I am looking into a Tarpon trip, will check out Caribbean Outfitters and Omar. It's a long shot but should there be any fellow SOL folks in the area around the second week interested in splitting a trip shoot me a PM.

Giving this tread a bump since I'll be heading to Puerto Rico this winter...actually late winter/spring.

Staying in San Juan and have a few days of charters already lined up with the goal of focusing on Tarpon.

I'm sure I'll try to fish from shore as well, both on the beach front and lagoons that look to be somewhat close to the Marriott hotel where we'll stay.

I'd LOVE some info on what size flouro to use.  Can I go as light as 30# or should I be loaded for bear with 80#?  I'm happy catching small fish from shore....just want to scratch this tarpon itch.

Planning on bringing several travel rods with 20-50# braid and I'm sure more lures than I'll need.

Figured small DOA's and Wildeyes will be a good bet....along with Mirolures and swimbaits like crystal minnows.

Any insight on what size and color lures to use would be greatly appreciated!