Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Slayer25

surf fishing in Puerto rico

Rate this topic

28 posts in this topic

We've been to Rincon a number of times. Stayed at a house up the hill across 413 (beach loop) from Tamboo Bar and Grill. Never saw anyone fishing the beach. I have snorkeled just about every accessible area around Rincon and always see cuda and small snappers in close to rocky formations. Most of the near shore surf is shallow but, Steps beach has a close in reef that you could probably fish at any tide. About 6-8 feet deep there at high tide. Would imagine small metals or shrimp baits would work there. They worked for me in Aruba for cuda. At low tide you can walk the beach from Tamboo to the lighthouse and Calypso Cafe. At high tide in the same area you can can access the beach here and there off the Spanish Wall trail. Wear foot protection in the surf. Urchins are everywhere. If you get the skunk you can always get the catch of the day at the local Pescadoria's. Be there at 3 o'clock when the local fishermen in their Yoli's bring in the haul. You can find one at Crashboat Beach and Corcega. They only open if they have fish to sell.

First picture is beach at lighthouse. Second is Steps beach.

Have fun!

thanks fenderbender, i have 2 trips books 1 offshire and one inshore, but ill be there for a week and want to try off the beach,ill attemp where you said. I appreciate it, i will let ya knwo how i do..

Hi,

I live down here. I'm from New Orleans and I used to surf fish in Missisippi and along coastal marsh of Louisiana, and fishing here is not the same. Avoid Step's beach, it's a marine reserve and there's too much underwater coral anyway. If waves are up, the water is too couldy. The locals fish from row boats, and they use hand lines. You seldom see folks fishing from the beach during winter. Winter is our surfing season and waters close to the shore are rough and clouldy . Especially waters on the northern (Atlantic side).

I have a beach house on the Mona Passage side, and on days when the water is flat, I've hooked small baracuda and needle fish from shore.

I've used silver spoons.

Local fishermen fish at night.

Waters tend to be calmer in the early morning hours. If you're fishing during the day, there is an area north of Barrero beach with plenty rocks/reefs coming out the water. I'd try there. It's between the Horned Dorsett and the fishing village.

If you fish at night, bottom fish with live bait. You can catch your live bait with small shrimp, tiny hook, close to the shore. There are long silvery croakers, and they make much noise when hooked.

Try behind this condo complex called Los Almendros. It's also north of Barerro beach. There is no reef to get in your way if you hook something.

Luis

one more thing, keep an eye out for pelicans. they feed on schools of minows. jack fish feed on them.

Hey,

Stayed at the hyatt dorado for a few days in march of 2006 and was not overly impressed with the surf fishing going down in that region, although it was still good fun. Throwing topwaters and jigs managed some nice cudas to maybe 8lbs, plenty of bar/yellow jacks, and tons of needlefish, which definitely stole the show. Tough to keep em attached to the hook with their long snouts and jumps, but a five footer gives you a good fight. Never managed to get one of the big mamas in for a pic--all of the fish I got to shore were in the two to three foot range.

Regarding charters, there are plenty of guys who will take you into the san juan river for tarpon, which is a lot of fun. I fished with Rafa Appellaniz, and had a great time throwing live pilchards to rolling fish in the river.

I have been to Rincon a few times and surf fished for hours with little luck! The locals say its all fished out! You may catch small reef fish with real small baits.You will have great weather and warm water, but bad surf fishing. Your best bet is to get a local to take you out on a boat !

View Postok boys since theres a ton of people on here im sure a few can help, im going to rincon puerto rico the 3rd week of jan what can i catch if anythign off the beach.

yes you can catch tarpon red snapper and many more fish good luck try going to la parguear or lajas its about a 45 minute ride from were you are

I forgot to mention that I have also heard rumors, just rumors, of there being tarpon and snook in golf ponds of many of the coastal golf courses...anyone know if this is true?

well thanks guys im gonan give it a shot off the beach. i am def going offshore 1 day and goign tarpon fishing one day. do any of you guys have any charter boat captains numbers. or a website where i can get in touch with them.

I've had two great trips to Rincon , fishing. For a guide the top dog is Pepe. Just ask for him around the boat launch or the phone book. He fishes a 32' Contendor and knows where they live. For the shore, yes Steps beach has fish and the snorkling is great but I fish off the beach in town, That is in the area of Villa Cofresa. I've taken Ladyfish, snook, and lookdown all in one morning. February 2009 i took a 10 pound snook off the beach right in front of that place. Secrete- they often leave the lights on shining out over the water. that brings the bait fish in close for some good hook-ups. get there before sunup for success. I used riverunts for snook and soft swimshads in chartreuse for others.