Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jim DE

Those attending the Somerset Show ... What are your expectations?

Rate this topic

48 posts in this topic

cwm40.gifHappyWave.gif Jim - www.*******.com hasn't published the programs list for Somerset yet.

It usually is twice as big as the Marlborough, MA show they produce the weekend before.

That program list is on line and it has a lot of free programs by well known anglers. Rich Murphy is giving a talk on new striper flies and is a featured tyer and author for his great book "Fly Fishing for Striped Bass". Ed Engle will be at Marlborough and Somerst and Gary Borgia is scheduled for Somerset but not Marlborough.

I like to spend two days at Somerset getting authors to sign books I bought, attend programs on striped bass fishing. Alan Caolo and Bob Popovics will be giveng some this year at both shows.

I might even take a lesson on spey casting or talk one of my friends who is already into that speciality to give me a leg up on that style of casting..

I'll be going to Marlborough for one day too see my friend who fish New England and the same goes for Somerset for they Sandy Hook and Jersey shore guys I know from once living, fishing, ducking hunting and working "Down the Shore" for over 25 years! biggrin.gif

I'm like a kid at the circus and enjoy myself ememensely!

lg_smile.gif

We have been the last 11 or so years for our business--which is important but i enjoy catching up with everyone and spending time with other fly fisherman. Just being around that many like minded people is a blast for us.

My wife is doing a couple of programs on Women in Fly Fishing. We both are doing a destination theater on Chumming for cobia , sharks, dolphin OBX style.

look forward to freezing my butt off!

am I losung my mind, I would have bet money that I got the flyer for the somerset show saying it was there in mid NOV and that I would be missing it due to deer season........................................is it really going on in JAN, like the last few years I've been there??

We are not doing our booth this year but will likely make it down for a night or two. It was fun having a booth but the best times were spent around the dinner table with BobP, BHorsely, Skok, Gartside, Jimmy Ellis, Squaretail, Geno and Captain Spider Balls. Hope to see you again.

View Postam I losung my mind, I would have bet money that I got the flyer for the somerset show saying it was there in mid NOV and that I would be missing it due to deer season........................................is it really going on in JAN, like the last few years I've been there??

WW,

There are two shows annually. The Nov Somerset show is typically the "Fly Tyers Symposium" featuring international tyers showcasing their talents and the such. The Jan show is the "Fly Fishing Show" and tends to be more aligned with fly fishng companies, outfitter/guide services and also featured tyers. Two distinctly different shows but with areas of overlap.

I anticipate sending my dad with fistful of dollars to buy me Keough saddles. I will be en-route back to AK however and missing all my SOL friends.

Cheers.

I plan to run into some folks from here, pick up some saddles and a few tying materials, maybe get rich Murphy to sign my copy of the book, attend a presentation if one interests me, and just hang out for a few hours. One afternoon and I'm usually ready to head for home.

I'm not setting my hopes high for this year as I've been pretty disappointed in the show over all for the past few years. I do hope to run into an SOL'er here and there but being that I'm not a "gearhead" like some folks are I'm really not there to check out the "new and improved". If there is a presentation that really gets my attention I may find myself in a confrence room but other then that if I find something I need and it's at a good quality I may pick it up.

All and all it's a few hours out of the house for a cold Saturday.

Who else will be there Saturday????? confused.gif

You know my ugliness Ron if you see me just hit me. wink.gif

(Hmmmmmmm Could this be the making of a show fling??? headscratch.gifwink.gif At least it's indoors and out of the weather. wink.gifcwm27.gif )

I'm going to see the new and improved stuffwink.gif I just like to be around fisherpeople and tackle in General. I'll see some friends and maybe buy something I don't really needbiggrin.gif I'll probably be there Saturday also, maybe see you guys theresmile.gif