Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BillDude

Santa was good to me

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

I got the Renzetti Saltwater traveler vise and an assortment of deertails, hackles, hooks, glues, etc. If I only knew how to get started. Anybody reccommend any good books or videos? Whats an easy saltfly to start off with? Thanks

love to tie and do it all the time. That being said learn to tie the Clouser and the Deciever and that will take care of about 90% of your saltwater fishing. Most likely you will learn to tie more, but, you really dont have to.

As far as books: maybe get a beginners book to start with so you get the basic techniques down. Later on 2 must have books are Pop Fleyes by Bob Popovics, and Clouser flies by Bob Clouser.

Look into taking a class at your local shop or club. Good luck.

Class is a good idea, but if you can find someone local that ties, buy beer and pizza and invite them over to help you out. I got alot of help early on and I always try to help newbies out anytime I am asked.

You are in for lots of fun!

Frank in Norfolk

1st try your local flyshop.Also,make a point to get to the Somerset show down your way.I believe it's around the last weekend in Jan.Try to go on the 1st day.Also,"down-n-trout is a great place to ask questions.Francine is a real"sweetheart".plenty of help right here.post your creations.

Larry, I was thinking of starting with Deceiver or Clouser.

B Hunter, I do have a couple of beginner books, but the're all freshwater, I'm sure the concept is the same..any beginner saltfly books? I do want to get those two books you mentioned. I am gonna look into some local clubs.

fcband, Great idea! Pizza and beer anybody? I'd probably have to go to your place, since my house is full of construction and kids.

Shadow, Yea...I want to hit that show. I want to get statred tying asap so I know what to look for. Down-n-Trout is local to me? Also, I thought they closed their doors?

Thanks everybody.

Bill,

The freshwater books should work just fine in helping you get started. The technique is the same your just looking to tie on a larger scale. As long as your books describe the basics on selecting and attaching materials to a hook you should be on your way into being able to tie up a fly. A little suggestion would be to get a pack of cheap hooks- anything with a straight shank- and practice each skill (attaching thread to the hook, tying on a tail, tying on wings (especially hair), wrapping different types of bodies and lastly finnishing heads. Learn these basics and you should do just fine in filling your fly box with fishable flies.

As for shops close by to you the Fly Hatch should be reopening soon (if not already open) back behind Monmouth Park. I do remember when they were in Shrewsbury they would get behind the vice to demonstrate different flies if the customer had any questions on tying them so give them a visit when you have the time.

Clousers are easier than Decievers, and are good to learn basic skills on. Good advice above on finding someone to show you how to tie. It'll save you loads of trial and error, even from using a book or video.

Also, you can't imagine how much stuff you'll find just googling "saltwater fly tying". You could print out a whole book of step by steps if you wanted to.

And search the fly tying forum here too!

Have fun!

View PostLarry, I was thinking of starting with Deceiver or Clouser.

B Hunter, I do have a couple of beginner books, but the're all freshwater, I'm sure the concept is the same..any beginner saltfly books? I do want to get those two books you mentioned. I am gonna look into some local clubs.

Down-n-Trout is local to me?

BD,

Clouser and Deceiver are great fish-catching ways to start. You could also jump right in and do some Pop fleyes if you are so ambitious. Heck, not an easy ones by any means but my first attempt at a fly was the "Full-Dressed Pop Lip" featured in the book PopFleyes. Work at your comfort level.

As far as D-n-T goes, they are open, doing business, and eager to satisfy their customers. I was there before the holidays and picked up some real nice saltwater saddles that I am really pleased with. Check out their web-site for contact info and get directions.

Located in Pt. Pleasant, and IMO yes, local to you.

Don't forget to show us your ties when they arrive!!

Cheers

I just read this really quickly, si I'm sorry if it has been said and I missedd it, but Lefty and Bob C. made a great video showing the deciever, Clouser minnow and the 1/2 and 1/2. I thought/think it's great. I watch it several times a year.

Good luck