Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Chigger

Tioga maintainance ?

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

This will be my third or fourth year with my Tioga and all I have ever done to it was rinse it off. Should I be lubing some part of it with something? How about corrosion X? And where?

Thanks

Yep- yer good to go. Although I do (for my own personal preference) apply one drop of oil to the spindle (spread to a film with finger tip) and one drop of oil to the handle because the reel feels smoother to me that way.

Chigger,

I don't qualify to offer advice on the Tioga since I don't own one.

Wellstone states their reels should be taken apart and cleaned with warm soapy water each time after fishing in saltwater.

Use a toothbrush to get at hard to reach areas.

I first soak my reels in plastic bucket of soapy water, go over them with a solt cloth and toothbrush, then rinse them in the shower before relubing the parts with the products the manufacturer suggests.

Probably good advice for any reel with a Type I or II finish.

The drag surface, if cork, should be inspected for grime, salt, and soaked in warm soapy water too if its overly dirty.

Usually, the drag surface will only need cleaning once or twice a year, if that.

Wellstone advises recoatiing the cork drag surface with the special white grease that comes with the reel after cleaning the surface.

The same grease is used to coat the bearings and raceway surfaces after cleaning.

Sounds like a lot of trouble but Wellstone reels have so few parts and are so easy to take apart and put back together that it's a snap. icon14.gif

I would think most all reels should be treated accordingly.

Type III anodized reels need much less maintence.

Usually a good fresh water rinse is all they need after fishing in salt due to their almost indestructible type III finish.

The shower is a great place to rinse a Type III reel !

Sag.

Chigger - Yes - You want to open it up and give a drop of oil to the various little parts on the drag side. (Not the drag itself). Make a little tool to take off that screwy nut with the two little holes in it.

I found that the drag knob "clicker" is not stainless in my Tioga, but that it was stainless in my Teton.

Thanks for reminding me - that gives me a task while the Skins take on Dallas sunday.

View PostChigger,

Type III anodized reels need much less maintence.

Usually a good fresh water rinse is all they need after fishing in salt due to their almost indestructible type III finish.

The shower is a great place to rinse a Type III reel !

Sag.

I'm couldn't actually answer the question- what type of anodizing is used on the Tioga? redface.gif (I have two.)

Pax- uh oh- I've never done that...

I always rinse my Teton after use and have had the spool get stuck on the reel twice now in the years I have owned it. As a matter of fact it is stuck on the reel right now. I need to send it back again I guess. So yes I would second the recommendation of a light machine oil like the blue 3 in 1 oil on the spindle.

a dab of oil on the spindle is all that is required, make sure you put just a little bit on as tooo much oil will cause a suction making removal of the spool difficult

Wash, rinse, sewing maching oil during the season. I just got done taking off the cover for the release, cleaned, and put a little Super Lube grease inside and behind the sliding plate. There was a little build up of salt but not much. The screw that holds the handle had a little build up as well. Cleaned up and put a little loctite because it can loosen up. Good to go. Careful when opening that cover. That spring can dance.

Going on 5 years with my Teton/Tiogas....and zero problems. It really is beautiful, simple and priced right. Glad someone's doing it right.