Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MichaelT

Tsunami Talking Popper

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

From your own experiences how would you compare the Tsunami Talking Popper to the Yozuri Surface Cruiser. With the Tsunami running at less than half the cost of the Yozuri I have not seen enough difference to justify the cost difference. I've used the Yozuri with good results just wanted to hear from others.

I had a good fall with Talking poppers on blues and schoolies with both 1-3/8 and 2-1/4 oz models. Jowever, the hooks on the smaller models seemed a little undersized but I was too lazy to change them. Hope stronger hooks won't reduce water splashing actions too much. I really like them as they can be worked with straight or whipping retrieves,

talking poopers are jsut lures that seen to be beated up by fish, other than 4 inch size they are wired- through. surface cruisers seem to be very popular for stripers, bt at 16 dollars i am not buying one, and they say the paint chips very easly( just paint other it) on surface cruiser

View PostFrom your own experiences how would you compare the Tsunami Talking Popper to the Yozuri Surface Cruiser. With the Tsunami running at less than half the cost of the Yozuri I have not seen enough difference to justify the cost difference. I've used the Yozuri with good results just wanted to hear from others.

I can tell you that the Tsunami is a cheap Chinese plug..the finish chips after one Bluefish hits it. The hooks absoulutely need to be replaced. The VMC treble that Tsunami uses on that plug is not the right hook for Saltwater use. I and many other guys in my local park have straightened out and even broke the hooks on those plugs.

Do they catch fish? Sure,,Bluefish all day long..but thats not sayin much. The Yozuri is a better plug.

View PostThe Talking popper is my go to popper in Mexico!!! Loaded and 4x VMC added!

Attachment 87408

I was waiting for you to chime in Colin before I did. You are the Talkin' Popper God.

This is a GREAT plug! It casts very far and comes in a bunch of nice finishes. Is it tough? We have caught loads of crevelle and roosterfish in the 40 pound and up range without it breaking (6 inch model). The hooks have been just fine as is but sometimes we put larger ones on (VMC) because of the big fish we are after. I don't know of any plug that will not suffer finish damage from toothy critters. If you are worried about it, it only costs a few cents to coat it with clear epoxy. The great thing about this popper is it does everything the $$$ poppers do but it doesn't break the bank when you have to replace (or lose) it! - HPD

View PostI was waiting for you to chime in Colin before I did. You are the Talkin' Popper God.

This is a GREAT plug! It casts very far and comes in a bunch of nice finishes. Is it tough? We have caught loads of crevelle and roosterfish in the 40 pound and up range without it breaking (6 inch model). The hooks have been just fine as is but sometimes we put larger ones on (VMC) because of the big fish we are after. I don't know of any plug that will not suffer finish damage from toothy critters. If you are worried about it, it only costs a few cents to coat it with clear epoxy. The great thing about this popper is it does everything the $$$ poppers do but it doesn't break the bank when you have to replace (or lose) it! - HPD

I agree about the finish. Even the very best plugs will chip. The chip added characters otherwise they just look too pretty for be used on the critters. For their money they are now my favorite go to poppers. I may even say that for me they seem to work better than the cruisers. They just seem to dance a little more for me.

One of my "go to" lures with VMC replacement hooks and split rings. Stands up to the ravages of bluefish from the surf. The degradation of the finish appears to not be a factor (except to the fisherman) in it's appeal to both bass and blues. Along with Cotton Cordell pencils, again with replacement hooks and split rings, I throw these two plugs roughly half the time.

roym

The talkin popper 1 3/8 0z size in parrot tiger color was my go to plug when working the edges of mussel bars with the tide cookin' full steam outbound...many days this past season during dawn/dusk hours this was the only plug we needed to throw. It was like magic. any retrieve seemed to get it done.

...my only complaint is the hook quality...had a lot of bent and broken hooks...That might have been caused by the all the brutal hitswink.gif

View PostThe talkin popper 1 3/8 0z size in parrot tiger color was my go to plug when working the edges of mussel bars with the tide cookin' full steam outbound...many days this past season during dawn/dusk hours this was the only plug we needed to throw. It was like magic. any retrieve seemed to get it done.

...my only complaint is the hook quality...had a lot of bent and broken hooks...That might have been caused by the all the brutal hitswink.gif

The split rings as well as the hooks are definitely undersized for the 1 3/8 oz models. The 21/4 oz models seem stronger but then I had not had any fish larger than a 14lb blues on them. One of the projects this winter is definitely replacing all these hooks. I've bought over a dozen of all sizes because of their effectiveness.