Custom Blackfish Reel De-viginized

Rate this topic

Billy 40

View PostInsert a U. AVET SuX.

I'm not at work until the end of the month so I have no way of posting pics of anything. I do have a few double digit almost teen sized Blackfish pictures from this season already. I also have pics of the rods I've been working on, and the one which I broke. I'll be picture postman for a couple of days once I go back to work and get caught up.

Reel weight is a shade les than 13oz. IT blanced really nice on teh GUSA 70 MEga, and will pair up just as nicely on the Calstar. MIght b etoo light for a 114 though.

He spelled "the" correctly 5 out of six times . . . who is teh imposter and what have you done with Billy biggrin.gif

When you can spool lock your SX, get it in Star drag 2-speed version, I'll take your post seriously. I'm glad you enjoy your Avet, but it's not even in teh ballpark with this reel, nothing comes close. The LAST thing an Avet was degisned for was bottom fishing, thus the lever drag. But since it's nice and shiny and small and somewhat light, it gets used for that.

Ok...time for Micks next lesson. I know you guys have bottom fished WAY more than I in the ocean so I will bow to your knowledge. I've always used star drag reels and still do, but I wanted to try the lever drag. I set the drag where i wanted it, and after dropping to the bottom I put it at strike and leave it there. Its worked nice so far. My ears are open as to why they are not good for bottom fishing.

ps. I never said an avet was equal to the new reel, or any reel for that matter. I just like em.

The Magnificent Presence

I also have my drag set where I want it...before I cast. It's not as if Blackfish require various drag setting during a 45 second fight. I open and close the freespool lever quite often when Balckfishing, I would go nuts having to slide teh lever drag back and forth 4-5 times every cast.

"the internet is the greatest platform for people who don't know anything, to tell people how much they don't know, to people who don't know anything and believe everything they read."
-Billy 40:16

There is little need for a midrange drag setting in typical blackfishing. Full freespool or max drag is all you need. Maybe, and this is a huge maybe, you might back off the drag on a huge fish close to the boat. Or maybe you are fishing really light line. Or maybe you are deadsticking. How often does that happen?

No one says that you can't catch blackfish with a leverdrag, it just does not give any advantage.

Your boy is going to be a big flop in Washington, and I can't wait till it happens.-Rocky Rhodes
Mccain is weak, lame and a poor choice for President-JimP

View Post THE one thing I didn't really like was the Lock switch since you cannot turn the handle when it's engaged. The OJ allows the handle to turn when the lock is engaged, so it's easier to get teh line tight on teh spool.

Looking foward to getting the reels out to teh guys who ordered them for feedback, JArle is excited about hearing how the reel performs and if anthing can be made better.

Wasn't that the original "worry?" It's beefier than the OJ as it has two locks, right? No play at all when you lock it down. Will have to crank down, throw the switch and wait for the wave icon14.gif

Even crab **** can't unpretty the thingbiggrin.gif

Team Goats

Maybe its just me....throwing the free spool lever or throwing the drag lever, both on the same side and almost the same distance to throw and I only have to go from the bait setting to the strike setting, I don't need to go to free spool. Time to move on.

The Magnificent Presence

So how do you manage line when tehre is current? You HAVE TO put teh spool in freespool. Or when teh current is running away from you you also need to...or should, be letting lin eout. Watch someoen SKILLEd with a Sidewinder, and you'll see why they are a great reel for Blackfishing.

"the internet is the greatest platform for people who don't know anything, to tell people how much they don't know, to people who don't know anything and believe everything they read."

View PostSo how do you manage line when tehre is current? You HAVE TO put teh spool in freespool. Or when teh current is running away from you you also need to...or should, be letting lin eout. Watch someoen SKILLEd with a Sidewinder, and you'll see why they are a great reel for Blackfishing.

Yes, you are right about the current running. I found that out this year. I just started fishing with slack in the line for the first time. I'm still getting used to it but I like it better than fishing tight. I got a long way to go.

The Magnificent Presence

I still have no idea what belly is or how to fish slack. I much prefer to find a pile of aggressive, stupid fish, than to learn.

Your boy is going to be a big flop in Washington, and I can't wait till it happens.-Rocky Rhodes
Mccain is weak, lame and a poor choice for President-JimP

View Post they are a great reel for Blackfishing.

No flippin the free spool lever 50 million times a day an in the blink of an eye you have the right amount of belly. If you can keep a consitant and proper amount of belly in your line then blackfishing is easy. When the boat is rockin and rollin or swingin is when it gets hairy and u miss fish that should be flippin at your feet. The squidder and its breathren come in second to being the greatest blackfishing reel.

Cranked in a bunch of fish on high and low gear. Too bad I haven't caught anythign big enough to warrant teh low gear. I'm so used to reeling in slow motion, that the 2:1 low gear retrieves like .5 feet per second. I'm not even kidding. SO far the high speed has worked fine for 8oz, I havent' had to use 10 or 12oz yet, but with teh New Moon that won't last.