Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Billy 40

Custom Blackfish Reel De-viginized

Rate this topic

61 posts in this topic

Decided to put one of the 2 custom Blackfishing reels I ordered back in April to use today, after recieving the package on Monday (FINALLY). The 2-speed feature is a freaking laugh, low speed high speed low speed high speed - it's like stop and go jigging by hitting a button.

Reel turned out heavier than I anticipated, but is still small. It's the same roundness as my Ocea Jigger (Trini 12), but narrow like the Abu 4500. IT holds more than enough 65# braid for what we are doing. No issues with the drag at all. THE one thing I didn't really like was the Lock switch since you cannot turn the handle when it's engaged. The OJ allows the handle to turn when the lock is engaged, so it's easier to get teh line tight on teh spool.

Looking foward to getting the reels out to teh guys who ordered them for feedback, JArle is excited about hearing how the reel performs and if anthing can be made better. As I stated in teh e-mail, any issues or recomendations - positve and especially negative - please e-mail them to me so I can send him 1 e-mail with everything on it instead of drips and drabs. I was hoping for a 2008 release, but I think a coupel of things need to be re-worked for optimal performance, so I think that's gonna be a push.

View Postwhat do you not like on the Avet SX

Insert a U. AVET SuX.

I'm not at work until the end of the month so I have no way of posting pics of anything. I do have a few double digit almost teen sized Blackfish pictures from this season already. I also have pics of the rods I've been working on, and the one which I broke. I'll be picture postman for a couple of days once I go back to work and get caught up.

Reel weight is a shade les than 13oz. IT blanced really nice on teh GUSA 70 MEga, and will pair up just as nicely on the Calstar. MIght b etoo light for a 114 though.

View PostInsert a U. AVET SuX.

I'm not at work until the end of the month so I have no way of posting pics of anything. I do have a few double digit almost teen sized Blackfish pictures from this season already. I also have pics of the rods I've been working on, and the one which I broke. I'll be picture postman for a couple of days once I go back to work and get caught up.

Reel weight is a shade les than 13oz. IT blanced really nice on teh GUSA 70 MEga, and will pair up just as nicely on the Calstar. MIght b etoo light for a 114 though.

SX feels top heavy and unbalanced on graphite rods. Can't max out drag without binding. Clicker on older SX in a weird place. Doesn't fit some reel seats. Etc.

Any reel that balances on an 800L would balance on a 114, depending on who built the rod tongue.gif

Got parties both Sat/Sun. No fishing for me til maybe Mon. I hate Hanukkah.

Well, the 114's I have around me ll th etime have teh BULG guides on them with thick grips, and it will NO Tbalance with those. If the rod is built with lighter stuff, it will balance. Thus, the word "MIGHT".

When you can spool lock your SX, get it in Star drag 2-speed version, I'll take your post seriously. I'm glad you enjoy your Avet, but it's not even in teh ballpark with this reel, nothing comes close. The LAST thing an Avet was degisned for was bottom fishing, thus the lever drag. But since it's nice and shiny and small and somewhat light, it gets used for that.

The reel is not heavy, it's just hevier than I had expected - I was hoping it would be equal to the Abu 4500/4600 in weight, which it is not.

Get a Sidewinder!heart.gif It weighs 13 ounces, Is Braid Freindly, and all you need is to decide how many fingers you want to use on your left hand as to how many pounds of drag you want. One Shot Lubrication, no corrosion issues and you can buy 3 of em for the cost of 1 Ocea Jigger.

Oh yeah...it also has a spool lock feature...you jam your fore arm between the 2 knobs and yank!beatin.gif

View PostOh yeah...it also has a spool lock feature...you jam your fore arm between the 2 knobs and yank!

While you are half joking, I'm pretty sure you are correct that it does have a spool lock feature - wrapping the line around the handle knob twice.