striperslayer

Beachmaster

5,368 posts in this topic

14 hours ago, RyanJ_88 said:

Hey guys I've got a question, little background my BM 3oz darters typically weigh on a scale 2.8-ish (2.835-2.870) ..... but this weekend I picked up a darter that felt lighter than the rest and sure enough it is almost 1/2oz less at 2.385oz. My first thought was Bobby may have missed a tail weight or something, but it doesn't feel oddly balanced the wood in general just feels lighter. Anyway I grabbed it knowing the difference thinking it may swim a little different, rigged it last night will update after I swim it. Anyone with lighter 3oz darters notice a difference?? (My instinct was that it will swim slightly shallower and maybe not hold as well in current, but again that just my inclination) 

Wood, is is well wood; It’s never the same.

I have attached a quote below from Numbskull, I think he sums it up very well.

On 5/27/2012 at 10:31 AM, numbskull said:

The issue with wood darters is their weight. This can vary quite a bit plug to plug (unless the builder controls for this which is not the norm), and in darters weight is critical. Too heavy is worse than too light. Sometimes you can salvage a "dog" darter by downsizing the hook size a bit. You can also "tune" a darter by varying the balance using hook size. The heavier the tail hook the more the plug will want to roll out (and the easier it will dart). The larger the nose hook the deeper more stable it will run.

The other critical issue with darters is the line tie position. The further back on the slope the deeper and wider the action (often this is not what you want). Likewise, if the nose loop is at all off center or twisted the plug will not run well. 

Finally, people have a misconception that darters are for deep moving water. Yes they work there, but the right darter (think wooden musso style) works extremely well in shallow water with no current if you fish it very slowly with lots of pauses.

I build my own plugs so I can't tell you what is available out there for wooden versions and how good they are. You are on your own there, but if you take the time to experiment with the plug in daylight you can learn to use it properly and greatly increase your fishing success.

Edited by t_man7

8 hours ago, t_man7 said:

Wood, is is well wood; It’s never the same.

I have attached a quote below from Numbskull, I think he sums it up very well.

Great info here Tommy, thanks!

On 2/23/2022 at 7:09 PM, 7 Rivers said:

The hot rod herring atom jr, is a killer paint scheme..

Im submitting you for a 12 step intervention program.   

2 mins ago, 7 Rivers said:

A few decent ones left..

Was trying to get two Danny’s. The Conrad I got looked like a Danny in the picture they posted. Might try and trade it in the bst.