Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
gadabout

Shopcraft Lathe

3 posts in this topic

This is a Shopcraft variable speed lathe that would make a great low cost set up for a would-be plug maker. Make no mistake, this lathe is not in the same class as a Jet Mini lathe or any of the other mini lathes that are currently popular. Over the years I have turned quite a few fishing rod grips on this lathe and made a few surf plugs before my wife bought me a Jet Mini for my 50th birthday. Since this lathe is based on an induction motor design, it is not exactly quiet. It sounds like on old Black & Decker drill, LOL, but it will do a pretty decent job of turning out a plug. Its probably about 25 years old but it still works just fine. The variable speed feature is easy to use and is very handy to have. Much easier than changing belts. The original lathe came with what is known as a "dead center" on the tailstock. While dead centers work OK, they are kind of a pain to use. Consequently, I bought a live center for this lathe and it is held in the tail stock by means of a Jorgensen chuck. I am including these extra parts which by themselves probably cost more than what I am asking for the whole lathe. The photos shows the lathe with the original dead center installed in the tailstock. The live center and Jorgensen chuck are also shown, on top of the box. I've also included pictures of a couple of plugs I made with this lathe. (Plugs not included, LOL.) There is also a faceplate for faceplate turning. $50 firm. No haggling, please.

The lathe comes with the instruction manual, face plate, tool rest, and "extras" that I've noted above. Feel free to contact me if there are any questions. I you decide to buy it, you must pick it up in the Melville, NY area.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0