P-LINE Verses ATC Titanium Nitride Casting Guides

Rate this topic

flamekeeper

I bought all components and sent them off for a build on a Rainshadow blank.and I have a ? for you guys.

How many people use P-LINE Fluorocarbon Clear?? I've heard of many catching fish of all sizes offshore and inshore on the stuff, and I use it on all my reels and never have had it to happen to me.headscratch.gif

But I'm having a rod built and this person told me to keep a watch on the guides because the Floro-line might cut them as it has some already.

Has anyone ever heard of it Cutting Guides or any ATC titanium coated guides?dunno.gif

ANY Information Please.To calm me down,,these things cost 90. I will be getting this rod by Wednesday So I'll be looking at the guides real close, because they were in great shape when they were sent off,slick as glass.

Does anyone here have a picture of guides that have been cut by fishing line or had this happen to them?

I've been hearing about grooving forever, but I have never, ever seen this happen, seen a rod its happened to, or talked to someone that had it happen to them.

Anyone?

I'm leaning towards believing that this whole phenomenon is complete nonsense propagated by guide manufacturers to justify newer, harder, more expensive ring materials. cwm13.gif

I've done stuff I ain't proud of, and the stuff I am proud of is disgusting.

Aluminun Oxide = Hardaloy, the L style rings? Or the O style rings from Fuji which were cutting edge in 1978?

"the internet is the greatest platform for people who don't know anything, to tell people how much they don't know, to people who don't know anything and believe everything they read."
-Billy 40:16

View PostI think that salt and dirt stay on the line and do the cutting.

That I'd buy - aluminum oxide is a whole helluva lot harder than mono or flouro - nothing cuts something harder than it without help or heat.

I've done stuff I ain't proud of, and the stuff I am proud of is disgusting.

AGAIN . THIS Is the ?

Has anyone ever heard flurocarbon cutting ATC titanium nitride casting guides?dunno.gifor any guide for that matter? anybody.

Need your input Please. here are few of the guides I'm talking about...

gzhc/ gzbc/ hzhc/ hzbc/ hztc/ hzfc/ Nic/ gccb/ gcue/ gcce/ scue/ an the like??

Thanks ahead of time for any and all replys. Kenny

Look flouro is no worse than mono or braid. Do you know what the base material is under the coating of the AMT guide. I have never trusted plated guides. If the base material is alumiium oxide or sic then hell no unless you do some silly lab type testing you are not going to grove modern ceramic centred guides. I been fishing hard for over 40 years and building rods for over 25 and not even Hardloy tip tops have groved ever ( Fuji). Metal guides yes and very quickly.

Why don't you ask AT what the base material is. More Bull **** spouted about guide wear than most anything in rod building. I would be scrtacthing my had about my rod builder who was fitting guides about which he felt there are issues. If I purchased a custom rod and the guides groved and they were modern ceramic then I would be beating up pretty hard on the builder unless I was doing something totally stupid with the rod.. Why would a decent rod builder fit guides he was not happy with and then tell you to watch out for wear. That is where your real issues lie

View PostLook flouro is no worse than mono or braid. Do you know what the base material is under the coating of the AMT guide. I have never trusted plated guides. If the base material is alumiium oxide or sic then hell no unless you do some silly lab type testing you are not going to grove modern ceramic centred guides. I been fishing hard for over 40 years and building rods for over 25 and not even Hardloy tip tops have groved ever ( Fuji). Metal guides yes and very quickly.

Why don't you ask AT what the base material is. More Bull **** spouted about guide wear than most anything in rod building. I would be scrtacthing my had about my rod builder who was fitting guides about which he felt there are issues. If I purchased a custom rod and the guides groved and they were modern ceramic then I would be beating up pretty hard on the builder unless I was doing something totally stupid with the rod.. Why would a decent rod builder fit guides he was not happy with and then tell you to watch out for wear. That is where your real issues lie

Thanks Mike , and I agree with you 100%. The guides have a inner ring of zirconia, coated with titanium nitride,and are backed up by AT, that the toughest braided lines cannot touch it and they say a file will not cut it.I searched for the best I could get when I ordered 30 b85 megamag blanks from USA Graphite, and these guides were it.Imo. from 147, to 88.a set

This guy said he had a hard time even straightening the feet on these guides??.LOL.headscratch.gif .I said that I set right at my desk and straighten them out with my hands enough to set them on the desk upright by themselves before I sent them.he did'nt have much to say after that.I think the guy might have done something wrong, ( I hope not ) and wants to blame it on the manufacture. IMHO. and I heard he's building for 40 yrs. Yeah!...

I will be looking close at these for any signs of fracture/hairline cracks etc.. as soon as I receive it.

And again thanks I will let you guys know the outcome of this.kenny

View Postwhen I ordered 30 b85 megamag blanks from USA Graphite,

Next time you are ordering GUSA's, give me a shout, unless you are ordering direct from Roy & Magaly yourself.

"the internet is the greatest platform for people who don't know anything, to tell people how much they don't know, to people who don't know anything and believe everything they read."
-Billy 40:16

Flamekeeper.

The feet on guides are routinely straight so I can't follow you on that. It is necassary on almost every guide made except single leg designs to have to adjust the the frame to alow the feet to have almost full contact with the blank. This is done by carefully holding the feet in quality Engineers pliers and bending the frame a little at a time leg by leg. If done with care and a bit of skill you don't transfer stress to the guide ceramic inner and crack it. I have busted about 6 guides in 25 years. You hear a sickening click if you over cook the bending. Ok don't worry about these guides groving. They are not going to period if you use your rod as intended as a fishing rod. I have hardloy guides which are 10 years old on a rod that gets a good hammerring with braid and they are fine and cost buttons. So sleep easy.

View PostNext time you are ordering GUSA's, give me a shout, unless you are ordering direct from Roy & Magaly yourself.

Yeah Billy .I went right to the Bosses,Get them at a heck of a better pricesmile.gif

View PostFlamekeeper.

The feet on guides are routinely straight so I can't follow you on that. It is necassary on almost every guide made except single leg designs to have to adjust the the frame to alow the feet to have almost full contact with the blank. This is done by carefully holding the feet in quality Engineers pliers and bending the frame a little at a time leg by leg. If done with care and a bit of skill you don't transfer stress to the guide ceramic inner and crack it. I have busted about 6 guides in 25 years. You hear a sickening click if you over cook the bending. Ok don't worry about these guides groving. They are not going to period if you use your rod as intended as a fishing rod. I have hardloy guides which are 10 years old on a rod that gets a good hammerring with braid and they are fine and cost buttons. So sleep easy.

I agree Mike on the guides feet.

They are the best I could find besides the NIC,Solid Titanium Frame Titans, I even got them. I just want these to be top of the line Rods Crafted by a Top of the Line Builder. I give the guy the best I should expect the best he could do at lease,isn't that right.confused.gif.

This Rod came in today and I tell you guys ,,this Rod in ? is suppose to be a MD/HVY 8'6" 2pc Rain Shadow with Mod Fast Tip. I had the rod in my hands at one time and sent it to him so he could build me another rod useing the same blank,I sent everything 200.bucks in parts.( wasted )he supplied the Blank and the Alps reel seat.

He sends me some off the wall Slow action 2pc.blank.that you can feel Flex between the 8" forgrip and 14 rear grip in your hands.mad.gif Feels like a fly-rod.

Thats not All! The only guide that is centered in the underwraps is the tip.LOL. The rest go up or down from center on the wrap 1/8 to 1/4" either way or more and the overwraps are a Joke .You can see the splits in the double foot on all of them up to 3/8" that is not even covered by a single thread!! Can You beleive that!!,and the single foot is covered the same way.

I cannot beleive he even sent the rods to me/ he must have beenbeers.gif GAPS in the thread as you can see the feet in many places.And they aren't even doublewrapped like it supposed to be,as Ordered. The wraps do not even cover the feet on the guides completely. Almost all need 1/8" to 1/2" more wrap on them to cover each foot on each guide.eek.gifeek.gif He even put the Alps reel seat on backwards?.( I know it will work both ways , but they are designed to be locked downward )at least that is the way he was told I wanted it. He done a nice job on the custom burnt cork and colored burl cork handles..and thats probably because I taped them together in order burnt/blue/burnt etc...)

He told me before he sent it that the bill was,150.00 Bucks LOL. eek.gifmad.gif ,,LOL.Thats what he wants me to send him. lol I cannot reach him on the phn yet,maybe because its the holiday and all ,what do you think? what would you do ?mad.gif Kenny.

I need some oppinions on this.I've been fishing since I was 3, I'm 48 now and this guy must think I'm kooky.gif . What would you guys recomend me to do?.