Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
spook

Bucktails

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

Depends..sometimes slow and let the curent ans tide do the work, or sometimes I fish it erratic. It all depends on what the fish want.

Last spring, Hardy and I fished one of our favorite haunts and did everything by the book...nuthin. Suddenly, Hardy has a fish on. The trick? Erratic retrieve. We caught a bunch of fish that night and none of the retrieves were the standing still slow type.

Star out slow, then experiment is what I say.

--geoff

------------------

-------------------------

Team L&H

GMiller@StripersOnline.com

I ain't no wizid, but... I agree with BC except that right when it hits the water, I like to give it a few quick jerks. The thinking is that the splash is like a bait fish that jumped and is now trying to flee.

Anything SLOW - sometimes, if conditions permit, slowly bounce it along the bottom, sort of like twitching it.. Almost works like magic on bass, weaks, and believe it or not fluke.. PIcked up numerous fluke last year both from the wash and in the boat by slowly retrieving fin-s or a bucktail while twitching it ever so slightly..

tight lines..

Odd man out again icon15.gificon15.gif I prefer to use bucktails and plastics when there's current....be it on the beach with strong wave/wind generated rips, rivers, or where the tide pulls across a point. Those are the places the lead comes out smile.gif While many methods will get ya bit, in general, the biggest fish will eat a jig that's acting most natural. What's natural in current? Well, since you asked wink.gif Natural in current is a jig that is moving roughly down current, slightly across, at as close to the speed of the current as you can get. This requires some thinkin' on yer part, gotta get the right sized jig/trailer/hair combo to get down but not too far down. The jig should tickle the bottom as it makes it way downcurrent. Follow it with the rod, keep yer line just tight enough to maintain contact but not to interfere too much with the jigs motion. If you jig it as it's going down, you'll get bites, but they'll mostly be the smaller guys...not always, but mostly.

Ooops...I've said too much already icon15.gifwink.gif

TimS

The biggest bass I have ever caught was at the race, granted It was from a boat and 3 waying bucktails. But like Tim has already mentioned, we imparted no action whatsoever.

That was how we did best. It taught me something... I have been tossing bucktails a long time in rips and currents...but I always imparted a lift and jig motion. I must try this drift and feel technique..if it works at the race....smile.gif why not in a rip?

That is a big mistake I made now that I have seen this sound advice...when I was fishing at the canal. I should have let it drift instead of imparting action it makes more sense now, should have let it sink more.

Oh well live and learn.

Funny thing this was a couple of years ago, and I have not tried it from the shore...duh what have I been thinking!

JohnS

That's a good way to look at it Cheen, Bucktails are nothing more than 8/0 pheasant tails with a bit more lead in the belly.biggrin.gifwink.gif

------------------

-----------------------

Dubs a.k.a., Charlie

dubs@stripersonline.com

[This message has been edited by Dubs (edited 02-27-2001).]

Hey Cheen-say hello to Mrs.C for me. Being a "bum" is really great.Don't miss that 120 mile round trip every day ,especially this winter. Can't wait for the season to start.

Mike

Yup, nymphin', that's exactly how I've always described it...'cept like Dubs says, instead of size 18 hooks and lead you weigh in grains, yer talkin' 8/0 hooks and enough lead to balance the tires on an 18 wheeler smile.gif

So Cheen, tell me more about these rainbows? Like mainly, when we goin? wink.gif

JohnS, you are only guilty of a very common misconception...that boat tricks only work in boats. There's a similar misconception that shore stuff only works from shore. You are not alone, the majority of folks are guilty of this. smile.gif It will really round out your techniques to not consider any technique as only boat or only shore, but consider them all as striper techniques. The stripers don't care if yer on the beach or in a boat wink.gif Some techniques aren't practical from shore, like vertical jigging, but most others can be worked into your surf bag-O-tricks biggrin.gif

TimS

Spook, You missed the point. That being there is no wrong way. A lead head jig is the most versatile lure there is, freshwater or salt. Picking the right technique for the conditions at the time is the point.

Barrell