Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JBreese1

High milage ford explorer's?

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

Just some quick questions for you ford explorer owners out there.

1. Anybody have one with over 100 Thousand Mi.?

2. How has it been as far as reliability after 80 Thousand?

3. Due to circumstances I have been loking at some high milage explorers to buy.

Any particular problemb or parts I should look at specificlly?

Thank You

Jim Breese

I've tortured mine from Ontario to Quebec to Maine to Mass to Rhody (and accompanying islandswink.gif) to West Virgina, South Carolina, western PA...and a whole lotta NJ. Some 60K miles all told (it's a 1997) and I have not had one single issue, not one single time...not a burp, not a hiccup. Well I did rust the little thing off the driver's side seat from wearing my sopping wet waders on the leather seats more times than dry clothes icon15.gif But I can't hardly hold that against Ford wink.gif

My wife drove a 1998 until this spring, we got here a 2002. 3 Explorers since 1996 - not one single mechanical issue - not one. Never had one in the shop for anything more than oil/lube/tune up. In fact, after 60,000 hard miles - beach, dirt roads, swamps, muck, etc - I'm just about ready for my very first new brakes smile.gif

If these things explode, must be happenin' to folks that drive 'em like babies...I beat mine on any surface it'll fit on...knock on wood...not one problem. My next truck will also be an Explorer...and my wife's next truck, too smile.gif

TimS

Thanks Tim, Due to the un-timley death of my wifes van I am loking for something to carry me over till next spring. I have been out auto shopping and to say I am suffering from sticker shock is to put it mildly. I decided that I would put the money I was going to use for a down payment instead to buy something used outright. I have found quite a few clean looking explorer's in my price range but they all have 60 Thousand or better Mi. on them. Any body out there have more than 100 Thousand?

Thanks

Jim Breese

I drive a 1993 Explorer 4dr with 130K on it at this time. I had a transmission problem while still in warranty period, at about 30K miles. This year I did have to put some money in; new hubs (I stayed with automatic, I consider the ability to go into 4WD in mid-skid a useful safety feature), bearings, shocks, yadayada. I am content with the truck and expect to go past 200K before I think about replacements.

A friend of mine who I work and fish with has a 1991/4dr Explorer with about 150,000 on it. We take turns making that dreaded commute to and from Bean Town daily for work (yes that dreaded word) and the only problem hehas had was with the hubs (AUTO). He had them repaired supposedly at a shop and thy still don't work right. It rides nice on the road but who wants to stay on the road, There aint no stripas on the street. Just be leary and ask a lot of questions about the hubs biggrin.gif

I've got 85K on my 94 Eddie Bauer. Besides the odd Oxygen sensor, AutoHub issues (lost it on the beach) now it's manual hubs. The Transmissions on the 91 - 94 Explorers are problems but they usually act up around 120K. Besides the things I've listed I had no major issues with the truck and I still love to drive it. My wife says she wants to trade it in but NO WAY!!! biggrin.gif

P.S. The Explorer Forum mentioned by Seajay is the best on the net for Explorer owners.

[This message has been edited by Arby (edited 09-03-2001).]

I've got a 1997 and I'm towing a 19 footer every week, sometimes a couple times a week and I'm not exactly easy on the gas smile.gif. Not a problem yet, other than the usual stuff and I think I'm pushing 80K, last time I looked. I'd buy another one tomorrow.

------------------

Tight Linesfisherman.gif

I have a 93' Mazda Navajo ( Explorer built by Ford for Mazda) 117,000 miles and I had to replace a CV joint at about 95000 miles, the water pump just went the other day and I had to replace a valve cover and gasket it was leaking oil, also replaced the exhuast from the manifold back about 1100$ total repairs but most of this happened after the 100000 mile mark so I am not suprised. I just got a 2001 Explorer Sport back in feb. no problems so far. I have been told that early 90's were notorious for break problems but I haven't noticed anything with mine.

Jim -

You might want to look around for a pre-1991 Isuzu Trooper (Trooper II). I put over 200,000 on mine without any major problems. I've seen a few around with 80,000 to 100,000 miles and have been tempted to grab another one.

Jim,

I'm now on my third Explorer. I put almost 150K on my 1992 before giving it to my son (who's still driving it). The only problem I ever had was the torque converter in the trans giving up at about 120K. I replaced that one with a 1996, which I traded in last year with 160K miles on it. Never had a single problem. Now have 2001, and the only issue has been the tires (which Ford is replacing).

Jack

My wife drove a 1998 until this spring, we got here a 2002. 3 Explorers since 1996 - not one single mechanical issue - not one. Never had one in the shop for anything more than oil/lube/tune up. In fact, after 60,000 hard miles - beach, dirt roads, swamps, muck, etc - I'm just about ready for my very first new brakes smile.gif

TimS

I had a '96 V8 AWD which I leased and loved. When I traded it in 98 I decided to by a '98 V8 AWD. I never had anything go wrong with the '96, but the '98 has been back to the dealer for numerous problems which they corrected under warranty, at this point everything appears to be fine (knock on wood). However I just had to do brakes at 37K miles frown.gif I guess it's that LI traffic.

Here's a partial list of the '98's woes:

1) Day one - burnt out fog lamp

2) Week one - paint/color peeling off all interior arm rests

3) Week two - noticed that car is not shifting properly into 3rd gear when accelerating hard onto a highway. Didn't find the problem until two years later when there was a service bulletin published.

4) Month one - notice that there is no paint, only primer, on the bottom of both front doors.

5) Year one - vanity mirror lights work intermittently.

6) Year two - dealer fixes hydraulic fluid leak (too small to detect with the eye) that caused the tranny shift problem

7) Year two - replace all five Firestone tires with Dunlop's.

8) Year two - Moon roof rattling

9) Year two.5 - Climate control fan seizes.

10) Year three - Replace front and rear brake pads and cut the rotors.

I guess this is what happens when Ford asks their parts suppliers to come up with 5-6% cost reductions - they just reeingineer them to be cheaper. In the end it must of cost Ford a over a $1K to make my Explorer right - granted if it was a leased vehicle, I would have ignored most of the problems and returned it as is.