Cookie Warning

Rate this topic

HardyG

Morning Gents:

Just a friendly reminder to all those who access this site from corporate servers, that you should purge your cookies, temporary internet files, and history every few days. Many corporate IT departments track internet usage by looking at your cookie files, and you'd be astonished at how big it can get over time. I keep a shortcut to the cookie file and internet options on my desktop, which makes clearing those logs a snap. What spooked me was that the hottie thread left a cookie that reads "babezone". Yowza, if my IT people saw that one eek.gif

Just imagine how happy you would be if you lost everything you have in life and then suddenly got it back
SOL Member #101

Bob, the method you are using does actually clear the coockie files only the history and cache internet files. What Rich describes is clearing the cookies which by default are kept in the Windows\\TemporaryInternetFiles directory along with the cached files but are not deleted by either clearing History or Temp files from within the IE options menu like you describe.

What Rich has done is created a shortcut to that directory on his desktop to facilitate this cleanup.

Take a look and let me know if you need any more help.

Rui

The only thing I have to add is if your company is run through a proxy server the IT dept. may also have a drive on the network actually saving all files even though you are deleting them from your desktop.

so you might want to check through int. options under connection to see if you are.

Mike Apter

So wait a minute- I'm not actually clearing my cookies by going under internet options- view files? Explain to me how I go to actually delete my cookies so my employer will not know where I am. Do I go under C:/ Windows/cookies to delete my files? If so, what else will it delete- just my internet use or no?

A whiter shade of pale....

Brian

Try this pop up your start button go to find

click on files and folders then search for cookies youll see a folder with a document for an icon double click that and you should see all the sites you have ever visited put the whole file in the trash and do this once a week and it will be a lot harder for your IT dept to find out where you do your work all day hahahahahahaha

Ken

Try what I said to Brian I use windows NT it should work for you too

chris L

For those of us who cannot do anyting more on the computer than access this board, can someone please set forth the steps for deleting the cookies Rich describes. I use Windows and, if it matters, IE. Thanks.

Yikes eek.gif,

Looks like I may have opened up a can of worms here. Well let me first say that there is always more than one way to do anything in the Windows OS. I should have been more specific in my above post...

I am using IE 5. In this version under the Tools pull down menu there is an Internet Options selection. By selecting that you get an Internet Options dialogue box. If you simply click on the Delete Files and Clear History buttons in the General Tab of that box you are not deleting your cookies. What I do in addition to clicking both of these is to browse to the Windows\\TemporaryInternetFiles directory and delete the cookie files manually. This is the default directory under Windows 98.

Hope this clears up some of the confusion.

Some other areas to clean up. C:\\windows\\cookies...select all and delete.

For IE users, from the menu bar select tools\\internet options\\Content tab page,auto complete\\clear forms and passwords.

These are just some tips to clean up a little. I don't know if it prevents tracking. However, note that when you do this the message board on tim's site does not light up since it doesn't know if there are new posts on the board that you personally haven't read.

Dave