Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DaveC

Fishing in NJ for the week of 10-15-07 through 10-21-07

Rate this topic

365 posts in this topic

Lots of fish around. Bass, blues and albies. Get out there!

As usual, post reports here.......as little or as much detail as you would like to provide the reader but please don't post specific street names or areas. Sometimes just a town name is too much information! Doing so only adds to the traffic in certain areas and it might cause an internet feud. Feel free to share any thoughts you might have on local conditions and "I got the old skunkaroo" reports" are OK too.

fished southern mc 8:30 till noon. I thought I might run into some blues or albies. Only saw some small schools of porgies,mullet,cigar mullet,snappers,and what I thought might be kingfish. The water is crystal clear.

Fished Sunday 7 am to 12 and nothing not a bite not a nibble not nothing. No birds flying around no fish jumping NOTHING>>>>> sigh.... well the water seems to have cooled down :o)

:o wheres the stripers ??

Surf albie run -NoMoCo- Day 6 -- 7-11am

Got to the beach at 7, 117 other guys already there, as GeoffT mentioned. So I fished to the left of the pack, near where the fly guys were. I saw the first fish on around 7:15, and then guys began hooking up, groups at a time, as the albies ran through.

I got an albie around 7:45, 30# flouro tied to Deadly dick #3. Long hard run, big and fat, around 10lbs. Man these are beautiful creatures! No camera this time. Got it in and back out in about 45 seconds.

Around 8:15, action started to heat up, and you could see them breaking water about 300' offshore, then they were in close. We had a pod right in our area for several minutes, which was unusual, they move lightning fast. There were no blues caught where I was, pure albie heaven.

Unfortunately, the guy next to me, visiting for 1 day from Delaware, got an albie on after casting out about 50'. He brought it into the beach not knowing what to do, and didn't have any pliers. So I stopped fishing, and used my new pliers (OK, Geoff, I finally replaced the rusty ones wink.gif ) to help the dude. Albie swallowed his lure (he was using mono setup casting a Krocodile spoon, so when in a frenzy albies may not always be particular), so it got brutalized getting the hook out, and was dead. Then I helped him take a cell phone pic of the fish, after which he lost his cell phone in the sand, and couldn't locate for 5 mins.

So I missed the frenzy in front of us, and didn't hook up again, but someone has to help those tourists. cwm13.gif

The action continued till 10 am, and lessened as the sun got higher, but guys were still getting a pick at 10:30. Getting ready to leave, I saw a group of 3 to my left still getting hookups. I noticed they were reelin' like madmen, so I copied the retrieve speed, with no success (they had same setup as most everyone, DD & flouro).

So I would hypothesize that in the first hour of daylight, retrieve speed is ok if somewhat slower, but as the sun gets higher, may want to experiment with retrieve speed if not getting any hits. The hottest action really only lasted an hour, but guys continued to catch fish, here and there, so I stayed longer than I should have.

To make things worse, around 10am, the albies started getting more active on the surface, and it was maddening to watch them go back and forth.

"Maddening, I tell ya' - enough to drive ya' crazy!" kooky.gif

The birds followed them at blazing speeds, and watching them go back and forth, sometimes just out of reach, was a challenge. So was the number of casts required as the sun rose. This ain't a sport for sissies. Guys who kept getting them were making cast after cast, like machines.

[For the fly guys, at one point in the early hour, fly guys were doing better, using white/chartreuse flys, similar to "striper candy?". 2 fly guys fishing together had a double hookup, that was pretty cool to watch.]

In all, it was a blast, and guys cooperated pretty well on the beach.

Is there any place that offers 12 step programs for albie addiction?

Fished with my boys today. Started in south of the Manesquan around 11 and moved north working into no parking land by 2pm. We seemed to walk into the last of it up north and missed those fish too. There was lots of bait to be found but we couldn't wait -- Soccer game at 4:15. So nothing for us today out front. Beautiful day to be on the beach. At least the boys had fun using their waders to walk in the schools of bait icon14.gif

Caught a bonita this morning at IBSP on a popper. Pretty good sized, maybe 3#. First one I've caught on the beach. I bled it immediately and sure hope they taste good, after filleting and cutting out any dark meat I sent it home with my son-in-law. He only caught a stargazercwm27.gif

We headed north from Barnegat Inlet, first trolling Clark spoons. After a couple miles we spotted the first mass of birds and bait. Passing a couple pods of bottlenose dolphin, we brought in the lines, and ran down to the birds. Bonito heaven. Not an albie, bass or blue to be had. But....four and five pound bonito on the cast are heavenly. We landed eight, missed/lost a bunch and quit by noon. They were still there, albeit well (miles) out of range for the surf guys, who didn't seem to be doing much at the IBSP today. One of the pods of birds did have blues, but they were snappers to tailors. All fish working anchovies, which made the water surface brown, and the sky black with birds at times.drool.gif They were close enough to hear them working at times. Fall is great!

NoMoCo- 2 blues and a 24" bass tonight. Fish were occasionally blowing up the couple of large peanut bunker schools that were around. I'm so glad to have broken the skunk and I'll be out tomorrow morning.

View PostSurf albie run -NoMoCo- Day 6 -- 7-11am

Got to the beach at 7, 117 other guys already there, as GeoffT mentioned. So I fished to the left of the pack, near where the fly guys were. I saw the first fish on around 7:15, and then guys began hooking up, groups at a time, as the albies ran through.

I got an albie around 7:45, 30# flouro tied to Deadly dick #3. Long hard run, big and fat, around 10lbs. Man these are beautiful creatures! No camera this time. Got it in and back out in about 45 seconds.

Around 8:15, action started to heat up, and you could see them breaking water about 300' offshore, then they were in close. We had a pod right in our area for several minutes, which was unusual, they move lightning fast. There were no blues caught where I was, pure albie heaven.

Unfortunately, the guy next to me, visiting for 1 day from Delaware, got an albie on after casting out about 50'. He brought it into the beach not knowing what to do, and didn't have any pliers. So I stopped fishing, and used my new pliers (OK, Geoff, I finally replaced the rusty ones wink.gif ) to help the dude. Albie swallowed his lure (he was using mono setup casting a Krocodile spoon, so when in a frenzy albies may not always be particular), so it got brutalized getting the hook out, and was dead. Then I helped him take a cell phone pic of the fish, after which he lost his cell phone in the sand, and couldn't locate for 5 mins.

So I missed the frenzy in front of us, and didn't hook up again, but someone has to help those tourists. cwm13.gif

The action continued till 10 am, and lessened as the sun got higher, but guys were still getting a pick at 10:30. Getting ready to leave, I saw a group of 3 to my left still getting hookups. I noticed they were reelin' like madmen, so I copied the retrieve speed, with no success (they had same setup as most everyone, DD & flouro).

So I would hypothesize that in the first hour of daylight, retrieve speed is ok if somewhat slower, but as the sun gets higher, may want to experiment with retrieve speed if not getting any hits. The hottest action really only lasted an hour, but guys continued to catch fish, here and there, so I stayed longer than I should have.

To make things worse, around 10am, the albies started getting more active on the surface, and it was maddening to watch them go back and forth.

"Maddening, I tell ya' - enough to drive ya' crazy!" kooky.gif

The birds followed them at blazing speeds, and watching them go back and forth, sometimes just out of reach, was a challenge. So was the number of casts required as the sun rose. This ain't a sport for sissies. Guys who kept getting them were making cast after cast, like machines.

[For the fly guys, at one point in the early hour, fly guys were doing better, using white/chartreuse flys, similar to "striper candy?". 2 fly guys fishing together had a double hookup, that was pretty cool to watch.]

In all, it was a blast, and guys cooperated pretty well on the beach.

Is there any place that offers 12 step programs for albie addiction?

Hey DS glad to see ya hooked on them fat boys. They are fun to catch but sushi yuck! Good to see them again in large numbers so enjoy catching'em. Wetflyguy nice to meet ya and thanx for the plug.

For anyone doubting DarkSkies addiction to albies - he's now eating them raw . . .

What's this poor guy going to do when they're gone????? Maybe he'll be on the same floor as Britney and Lindsay Lohan. wink.gif