Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Steve in Mass

Tales and Lies From New Jersey Fishing.....

Rate this topic

42 posts in this topic

Spent the past week at my usual spot in SSP. Left Thursday the 5th from Foxborough at 6 AM. The Famous Blue Volvo ran flawlessly for the entire trip. Going was good until just north of New Haven, and then got stuck in stop and go construction traffic for about 10 minutes.

Had been listening to NY NewsRadio all the while, and heard of some delays on 95 South in Stamford and Norwalk. In addition, the overhead variable signs spoke of 8 mile delays south of Bridgeport. Striper53 had warned me about this from his trip the week before as well.

So, I get the bright idea to take the Merritt, something I hadn't done in years, to bypass the mess. Smooth sailing, for about 5 miles.... redface.gif , and then the traffic came to a standstill with about 8 miles of first gear, stop, first gear, 100 yards, stop....etc. Sat in that for about 1/2 an hour when it suddenly just cleared up....no construction, no accident, no sign of any reason for the back-up..... confused.gif

The rest of the way was 5th gear except to pay the tolls on the parkway.... cool.gif

Arrived at IBML at 1 PM, after stopping for the essentials....beer, V-8, some bait, gas, etc. Upon check-in, I was greeted by a nice surprise of a "frequent flier" discount for the room (okay, so I had inquired about such via snail-mail a few days before, and it paid off.... smile.gif )

Made a few calls to the usual "crew", unpacked, rigged up the rods, took a quick look at the beach, and then headed across the street for Happy Hour eats. Was just finishing up my hot wings when Arby comes strolling in. Had a few beers, polished off a cheesesteak, and then headed over to the room to meet Rick7, and go out to make my first cast of the year. Unfortunately, Ronnie couldn't join us for the fishing that evening, as he had a club meeting and had to pick up a custom rod.

Rick and I headed to ******* just before sundown. The evening brought my first hit of the year after about 30 casts, and the rod was bent for about 10 seconds, and then came unbuckled. A few casts later, the same thing happened.

Now, normally I would attribute it to my being rusty and over-zealous, being the first time out and all, but Rick was experiencing the same type of thing, and he has been fishing for weeks already. We resigned ourselves to the fact that it was either very fussy bluefish (nothing worse than fussy bluefish... rolleyes.gif ), or perhaps some weakfish that we were being inpatient with.

So after dark, we headed back home, and I got some much needed sleep.

Early Friday morning, Glub called to firm up plans that we had made the day before. He was itching to go to a spot on his side of the bay, but after seeing the weather forecast, and the coming storm, I insisted (against his better judgement) that we leave that for the next day, as I felt that the ocean was gonna be screwed up after the storm for a few days, and we ought to hit it beforehand. The flags were just about limp, and I knew we only had a few hours before that would change dramatically, so wanted to sneak it in while we had the chance.

He hemmed and hawed, and beatched and moaned, but finally agreed. Unfortunately, since he had thought we were doing the other thing, it took him awhile to switch gears and load beach fishing stuff in his truck, so we didn't get out until WAY too late. By that time, the wind was already kicking up, and made slinging bait in the surf next to impossible.

So, we ended up going to the place Rick and I had been the night before. Spent about 2 hours there without even a sniff. Meanwhile, the wind was picking up, and the rain was approaching, so we called it quits, and headed over to see Billy at Bum's......

To be continued......Next up.....Glub Harasses an Exotic Dancer WannaBe.... eek.gif

(Disclaimer - specific fishing areas appear as ******, to protect the not so innocent..... wink.gif )

Well, there are rumors, and there are lies, and there is truth.....you'll just have to wait to see how it all unfolds.... wink.gif

Anyway, Glub and I went back to the motel, dropped off our gear for safe keeping, and headed over to Bum's. I had my first disappontment of my trip, as I learned that Ma Taylor recently had surgery on her hand, and she was out of commission for her usual weekend shift, which meant no Bloody Marys, no Pork Roll, Egg and Cheese...... frown.gif

Diagonally across from us at the bar was a woman of about 45 sitting with her boyfriend. She said that she was from NH, and was down to see him, as he had been staying down there on some type of job for about a month. They evidently had been sitting there for awhile, cause the boyfriend, at least, was already pretty "lit" up and a bit sloppy....

She mentioned that they had been to some club the night before with exotic dancers, and while she had fun, she was disappointed at the way the girls were dancing. Glub, being Glub, egged her on, and asked if she danced. She said "Well, I've been practicing, but I don't do it professionally, but I am better than they were."

As much as Glub tried, he couldn't get her up on the pool table (she wasn't that good looking, anyway.... rolleyes.gif )......but she did keep going on about how the dancers could have been better. Mario asked her if she was, um, well, "goes both ways", and to tell the truth, we never got an answer to that...... cwm13.gif

After awhile, she said she wanted to go shopping, and asked Glub if there was any good place around to buy some lingerie....he sent her to B&B's up the street.... cwm13.gif .....she then asked "Oh, do they have sex toys there, too?"

I almost spit my beer on the floor at that eek.gif .

Glub, being Glub, kept egging her on, and let's just say that the conversation went quite downhill from there, and can't be repeated on this site. Billy had smoke coming from his ears, as they were quite loud and explicit, even for Bum's......Mario kept at her, and I just sat there laughing my arse off......

We eventually left the two of them there, as Mario had to head home for a function with his son. I went back later on for Happy Hour eats, but they were gone...(actually, thank goodness, cause if they were still there after all that time, it might have gotten nasty, and Billy is a big guy..... wink.gif )

The weather was deteriorating quickly, becoming just plain nasty, so fishing Friday evening was a washout. I just watched some TV, and eventually dozed off. The phone rang at about 9 PM, and it was Sudsy. He was looking to come down to pick up a blank I had brought down for him from Longshot, and that night was the only time he could do it. He said he would be a good hour and a half, as he had to stop elsewhere in Belmar, and I told him "Sure, come on down, there is nothing else to do anyway."

I set my alarm for 10 PM and dozed off again. Just after it went off, the phone rings again "Hey, this is Jerry......I'm standing right in front of the Blue Volvo, but I don't know what room you are in....."

So Jerry came in, and we shared stories and lies and other BS for about 2 hours......then he looked at his watch and said "Oh Sh....time flies when ya get to talking" and had to leave to make his stop in Belmar (he couldn't do it earlier, as the person he was meeeting was out).

I bid him ado, ate half a sub sandwich, and went to bed......

Next up......Glub's new spot, and the first fish of the year........... smile.gif

Cripes, this is worst than American Idol. Let's get on with the story. How many posting's is this gonna take? We all are hanging out waiting with baited breath for the next installment. Let's hear about the fish and less about the 45 year old exotic wannabe's. I have meetings all afternoon, I'll have to T'VO this site. I can't take the suspense.

cwm15.gif

tongue.gif Sorry, I got planting to do this afternoon.....maybe another installment later if I get time.....

Hey, what fun is it if everyone got voted off the island on the first show?.... wink.gifcwm12.gif

Alrighty, then, another quick one........

Saturday morning, the weather turned out better than expected, though Glub called me at about 4:30 AM and said to go back to sleep for a bit....which I agreed, as it was still raining, but the radar showed it would be over soon.

About two hours later, he called, and we agreed to meet at his house at about 7:30, and then head to a spot he'd never been to before over on his side, but had heard good things about.

I packed up the gear, and made the ride over. We headed to the spot, and the sun was out, but the wind was still blowing pretty good fronm the NE. We parked the truck, and walked down the path, and I said "I dunno, I hope we aren't trespassing to get there.".....

Fortunately, the guy that owned the house right next to the path was out (along with his little yippy thing that they CALL a dog that wouldn't shut up.... rolleyes.gif ), so we inquired, and the guy said "No problem, you're good to go....", and also told us of another path back down the road. We re-con'ed the other spot, but I walked about a 1/4 mile down the path (which had "No Trespassing" signs at the entrance), and didn't seem like I was anywhere close to water, so we headed back to the other spot.

The way it was set up was cool, as we were pretty close to a "famous" boat spot for weakies, and also out of the wind.

We took out the jigging and plugging gear at first, and casted for about 45 minutes, with nothing......we waded further up, found an even more sheltered spot, and casted for awhile.

Glub said "Ya know, we could spike some bait rods from here", so he headed back to the truck to get those and the bait.

Tossed out some bait, spiked the rods, and continued casting plugs and jigs for another two-three hours, with only a bump or two each. My spiked rod bounced for a split second one time, but alas, nothing there........

So while it was a good spot that will be visited again, this particular day it gave up nada.......

After that, I headed "home", caught Happy Hour eats across the street, and then met up with Rick an hour before sundown to go to the other place we had been at on Thursday night.

Was still a bit windy, but not too bad, and because the sun had been out most of the day, the water was considerably warmer than it was on Thursday and Friday.

About the 10th cast in with a small popper, FISH ON, and I had my first fish of the year. A small, but respectable, bluefish, which was fun with the light gear I was using. I un-hooked him, gave him a kiss on the top of it's head, and let him swim away.....

Another 40-50 casts with a few bumps, and then, just as the sun was disappearing behind the horizon.......FISH ON.......and this time it was bigger........and it wasn't blue, and it actually took drag.....and it took me about 5 minutes to get him close..........

26" Striper.......and even though I now probably have bad mojo for the rest of the year (first bass syndrome.... redface.gif ), he was coming home with me....

Walked it back to shore, and as it turns out, the way he was hooked, I probably would have killed him anyway trying to get the popper out standing waist deep in water.....

Caught another blue or two after that, and I think Rick ended up with one and a small (18"?) bass as well.....

So while not a stellar night, I had my first few fish of the year...... smile.gif

Rick came back to my room, had a beer or two, called up Arby and told him that the "curse" was broken and I was on fire (okay, so he exaggerated quite a bit) and then we bid each other ado, with plans for Sunday....

Turns out that later when I cleaned the fish, there was a Berkley Striper Club tag in him, which is sitting on my bench in the basement for me to send in.....a first for me, to catch a tagged fish......... smile.gif

Next up......A Sunday on the Beach, and a Monday "3 Hour (actually it was more like 6) Tour..... wink.gif "

Foxboro.....and I was planting hardy annual flowers......though the brocolli, cauliflower, cabbage, leeks, onions, radishes, some lettuce and other greens, parsley have been in the garden for almost 3 weeks now.....but all of that can take frost.....and the carrots and parsnips were sowed a week and a half ago......

Tomatoes, peppers, eggplant, and basil went outside in flats today to start to get hardened off.....will go in the cold frame from here on in until late next week, when they will go in the ground.

Last night's frost should be the last of the season for us....right on time, as the 11th, 12th, and 13th of May are known as "The Three Chilly Saints"....

But all of that is off topic..... wink.gif

Foxboro.....and I was planting hardy annual flowers......though the brocolli, cauliflower, cabbage, leeks, onions, radishes, some lettuce and other greens, parsley have been in the garden for almost 3 weeks now.....but all of that can take frost.....and the carrots and parsnips were sowed a week and a half ago......

Tomatoes, peppers, eggplant, and basil went outside in flats today to start to get hardened off.....will go in the cold frame from here on in until late next week, when they will go in the ground.

Last night's frost should be the last of the season for us....right on time, as the 11th, 12th, and 13th of May are known as "The Three Chilly Saints"....

But all of that is off topic..... wink.gif

Hijack!! wink.gif

Okay, back to fishing.....

Sunday morning Glub and his buddy Frank (Snapper88) showed up at the motel only 15 minutes late at 4:45 (some excuse that the bait shop wasn't open yet.... rolleyes.gif )......we headed to try and get one of Glub's favorite spots ocean side, but alas, three rods were already out there.

Glub had another hole a bit further north, but after looking I decided that the hole wasn't big enough for all three of us, so I picked another a bit further north I had seen on the way out that would accomodate us.

The wind was still pretty stiff from the Northeast, and while the surf had laid down a bit and LOOKED like nice fishy water, the current north to south was pretty strong.....I put on 6 and that wasn't holding, so went to 8.....and even that wasn't holding real well.

I was at the south end of the line (that was my first mistake... redface.gif ), Frank in the middle, and Mario to the north.

Even with the drift, we only managed one tangle, so that wasn't too bad. I had one cast that I had walked pretty far north, casted out, and it drifted down and settled and held right in front of my spot for about 20 minutes.

All the other casts were cast out, had five minutes or so, then then you started moving down the beach. That wasn't so bad, but with the big line bows, it was difficult to feel any hits. I had one short run-off that I missed.....other than that, none of us had a nibble in the three hours or so we stayed.

I tried throwing a heavy jig with a shad for awhile, but that was un-productive as well.

Since it was Mother's Day, Glub had to call it quits and get home for the festivities, so we packed it up and rode back up the beach. The beach was pretty littered with debris from the storm, so weaving in and out of it was a task. The tide was also getting well up on the beach. Mario passed the first pull out, and continued heading north. We got to within a half mile of the next pull out, and the beach got so skinny that we had to turn around and head back south to the other one.....

Sunday afternoon I headed to Bum's for my usual Happy Hour Cheap Eats.....only, since it was Mother's Day, the Happy Hoour menu was not in effect. In fact, their regular full menu wasn't in effect, either.....only a very limited half page menu, none of which particularly appealed to me. I finished my beer, and headed to the deli up the street, and got a pork roll, egg and cheese to take back to the motel room for dinner.

Later, a bit before sunset, Rick and Arby came down, and we headed to the usual sunset spot. I had one bass about 18", and a bluefish or two. Rick and Ron got a couple blues each, and I think Rick also got a small bass. We called it quits at about 10 PM.

Monday morning I was to meet Glub and Frank at 7 AM at Glub's house to take out his boat. Unfortunately, Frank bailed (for whatever reason... rolleyes.gif ), so it was just Mario and me.

Loaded and gassed up the boat, and finally headed out about 8:45. The boat ran great, and the "Steve in Mass" paddle was not needed.... wink.gif

Took a 20 minute ride south, and though a bit choppy, wasn't too bad. Except the fishing, that is. 2 1/2 hours of one hit ball.....and then the wind started to kick up.

We decided to head back north to a more sheltered area....a bit bumpy on the way back.....I picked another spot that had some decent structure that I found on the depth finder....spent about an hour there with nothing, but we were out of the wind.

Called Rick, who was out on his buddy's boat, and they were not far from where we had started out, and were getting into some bluefish. But we decided to head back closer, spent another hour in another hole without a touch.

So, we headed for the launch area, slide the boat on the trailer without incident, and headed back to Glub's house, fishless. Meanwhile, Rick and Charlie were bailing bluefish......but no weakfish, which was the target for both boats...

Next Chapter....Glub Starts to Get a Fish Complex tongue.gif ....and Then It's Broken........