post pics of your lex lures!!!

Rate this topic

Bluefish07

View PostI hope so I missed you guys last week I looked for you and the little Sudsy guy.. Thay told me Montauk was to tough so you stayed home.

Eddie

I was there. I am the official Bluefish KING of Montauk!!cwm27.gif Like any good surf fisherman, I spent my days drinking and my nights fishing. beers.gif

Sudsy didn't make the trip. He was saving up his Domestic Tranquility Index points for the Korkers Cup! I think he is bringing his family with him. His better half wants to do some serious fall fashion shopping in The Hamptonscwm31.gifcwm27.gif

RIP JM
RIP GH

View PostRocco, That is incorrect. Jimbo's pic is the new style Fat Boy 1 (actually 1.5 oz) that is made by Scott Pullen. They are also seen in BassBlitz's pics in the package on the far left side.

thanks for clearing that up charliek, and nice design on the plugs. icon14.gificon14.gif any insight on lex's that were sold as "danni" plugs? i know i have some, and they have a blunt nose like in jimbos pick (i'll have to check for pan or z lip), but i don't have the package any more. maybe they were just 2 oz. or more?

i met scott on the beach one night this spring, nice guy. said he "solved" the finish and to look for the plugs to be back out on the market soon. i think he only said that because i told him i had some the bass sucked the paint off of, but i wasn't trying to be critical...wink.gifredface.gif

Rocco, Scott has spent plenty of timeimproving the paint and clear coat on the new Lex line of plugs. It looks great and definately last longer than before. But remember, ANY wood plug will loose it's finish after prolonged use. I have tried to get Scott together with Tim to make them available in the On Line Store, but that hasn't happened yet. I personally think it would be a great matchup that would benefit both parties and the SOL customers. Hello, is anybody listening????? Mc Fly????

As for a history lesson on Lex/Driftwood, that has been said here many times before, so please do a search on the subject as I don't want to bore those who already know.

As for design changes from old Lex to new Lex, yes, Scott made some changes that he thought would improve the line. The Fat Boy 1 we have already mentioned for one and I think that the belly hook was removed from the Fat Boy 2. The 2 oz and 3 oz Pencil Poppers were changed slightly and they are becoming one of the most popular Pencils here in Jersey and in Montauk.

I know that a lot of guys have trouble finding Lex, but they are in a few shops in Jersey, Long Island, and on the Cape.

Connman, The pic is nice. Top row last plug on the right inthe package is a Driftwood. I can't see it clearly, but I think that is the first Driftwood made and in the original package design. We didn't give the plug a name, it was just a Bluefish bomb.

The sixth row, the middle plug a black over white was called a Chuckster. A little history on that one. That also is a Driftwood and is the only plug that we didn't turn ourselves in the shop. We had that turned by a milling company in Maine. We were dissapointed that they wouldn't turn cedar so we had to accept basswood. Almost all of the other Driftwood and Lex are cedar.

By the way, the yellow and white swimmer with the green tail in row 4 is the plug that I personally have caught more bass on over the years than any other plug we ever made. I only have one left and it only has about 30% of the paint left on it. It still catches, but it gets waterlogged fast now. I refuse to rebuild or repaint it for fear of changing whatever it is that the bass like so much.

Yes I would say it is a Bluefish Bomb . I have several others , just can't find them right now as I packed everything into totes last winter expecting to make a house move .

The Chuckster is one of my most productive late fall early winter lures , stash of them also missing in totes and missing from the picture is a 1oz yellow Goo Goo Eye still in my plug bag .

Before I started fishing these I was a little hesitant as the colorado blade lip looked strange to me , but now I consider them idiot proof , the blade makes them so much easier to work than some other style metal lips and wiggles enticizingly even at slow crawl speeds .

What is the brown peanut bunker swimmer called ?

That one and the red and white just below the black and white Chuckster are the 2 that I question. They don't look Driftwood or Lex. But Tony has been making plugs in his garage and sometimes will make a few of odd designs and sell them to friends. The bucktails do look like his .

• 1 year later...

I only have two different styles, Pencil poppers and Darters, and both of those types of LEX are KILLER. I caught my first darter fish on a Blurple Lex Darter, and if I'm having issues working a pencil due to a crazy current break or something I go to my LEX, and they work across any type of current breaks, effortlessly, and CLOBBER the fish. I just wish I knew the guy who makes them, I've seen him around here and there, and I was always afraid to approach him. He looks like a strange character, his choice of dress is very questionable confused.gif !!! Next time i see him I will approach slowly and carry a big stick, just in case he bites. I'd like to get my hands on some swimmer type plugs from him. Rumor has it that he hangs out naked, up in the BIG "M" parking lots cwm31.gifcwm27.gifcwm27.gifkiss.gif !!!!

SCOTTIE IS THE BEST !!!! AND HIS PLUGS DO REALLY WORK FOR ME AS I SAID, I JUST COULDN'T RESIST THE CHANCE TO BUST HIS STONES !!!

SEE YA TONIGHT HONEY, HOPE YOUR ON SOME GOOD ONES WHILE I'M AT WORK TODAY. I PROMISE YA, THEY WERE THERE LAST NIGHT wink.gif !!!

P.S. DO I HAVE TO FISH WITH THAT OLD DOG "CK" TONIGHT ALSO ? AAAHH, HE'LL PROBABLY BE SLEEPING BY THE TIME THE REAL FISHERMAN COME OUT TO PLAY tongue.gif !

SEE YA "SWISS"

First of all, if your LUCKY, you may be able to fish with me tonight, and if so pay attention, you might just learn something. This weekend lessons were reserved for NIB.

Your good buddy TNT has to learn something too, like how to drive off-road.

They all went "chasing the chicken" last night while I stayed curled up warm and cozy in my sleeping bag. I woke up a 6AM and drove straight home for some R&R. I have been living out of the truck since Wednesday, but you know what that's like I'm sure.

I may return tonight, but I'm not sure.