Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
chicky

ben doerr rods?

Rate this topic

27 posts in this topic

If anyone knows where the Ben Doer elite rods are being blown out or discounted "please" PM me asap..

I always had my eye on those rods.. a friend used one and swore by it... I used it one tide.. nice and light and good back bone very sensitive with a good hookset reaction.. sweet looking rod...

Now I am interested in the new Al star Ben Doer version.... I heard that guy Ben is a top guide who knows his stuff down there in Hatteras....

hats off to him.. he seems creative and active and we are benefitting from his efforts... seems he may have taken his concept to another level with the Alstar version. I am curious now...

I have a brand new 9'4" spinner. I have only used it a few times. It is a real nice rod. I had heard that it is very popular with guys that fish metal lipped swimmers.

I also own the GLoomis 1084 which is the counterpart of the Ben Doeer Elite 9'4".

I like the Ben Doeer the best but find it hard to cast the 9 foot rods (because of my injury) I cast the 10 to 10.5 footers better.

any good? whats the inside scoop for long spinning rods?

Howdy chicky,

long rods ,imho are better for distance than a shorter rod.also the feel is more intense and the hookset is in your favor.

if you have not tried one then do so right now!!

cheers M8 wink.gif

[ 01-31-2004, 12:26 PM: Message edited by: Roddy ]

Howdy,

I was just told that croix dropped Ben because he wanted to up his ante on each rod to like $10.dollars per rod.

I cant be positive but thats what I was just told by a long time rod builder I know very well.

heresay? maybe but he is dropped nevertheless.

A good friend of mine had two 10 ' lami's , custom built up on the cape last spring and I've thrown both the spinner and the casting rod and would not trade my St.Croix Avid 9' for ether one . My 9' will out cast them all day long , and will not wear ya out doing it. I never saw the big attraction to Lami's . You couldn't give me one . I'd sell it to someone CHEAP!!! I fish as much as anyone I have ever met and never broke a St. Croix Surf rod in 10 years . I'm talkin about 200 pluse day's a year from cape Cod to Hatteras . If one does break due to ROD FAILURE , St Croix will replace it . They can tell if you broke it by beating your dog or wife with it and then they will charge you a low replacement fee.

Watch the line in the near future , they will be going back to all cork tape on the surf rods. I have been talking to them about bringing back the 9'4" surf rod also . I have Two in my basement and this was the most versitale spinning rod that I have ever used , from small plugs up to thrown bunker heads and lead off the jetty's last spring. KILLER ROD .

I plug 90% of the time, and use a 9' or 9"4" rod .I have very rarely seen the need to plug with a 10" rod. The extra lenght will wear ya down quicker . If your mostly bait fishin ,then by all means fish a 10 foot rod or longer . You can spike it if you get tired of holdin it, and still get bit. GOOD LUCK ! "SWISS"

Hey Chicky did you get over there and get one? I got the $99 conventional, what a steal! I'll take an ESS100M anyday over anything Lami has in a 10 footer...

biggrin.gif

I have an 8' 3" Ben Doerr elite. I will give you my analysis of this particular fishing poll. Performance wise its the best rod I have ever fished. I have a couple Lamis that are more durable and are great rods but the st croix is awsome in terms of sensitivity, casting plugs in its specified weights, feeling hits and fighting fish. Durability I would rate the rod poorly, sent 2 back that broke on me before I got a good one. I can feel a 6 inch bommer swim when I am using that rod. Its great you are really connected with whats going on with the lure at the other end. I swear you can really feel each turn as the plug swims. I would avoid situations where you have to hoist fish up onto a jetty or boat. If you can fight them to the sand or walk them to the beach this rod is great. Casting heavier stuff beyond what it is rated for it does not really shine in terms of performance but If you are fishing 6 inch bommers or any other small plugs this the 8 3 is absolutely incredible.

Hey Chicky did you get over there and get one? I got the $99 conventional, what a steal! I'll take an ESS100M anyday over anything Lami has in a 10 footer...

biggrin.gif

i did make it over there but didnt pull the trigger. i may still grab a 10 footer conventional but i really need something shorter.

i just got a cutom lami last week so the wallet is hurting

I have had the 7', 8' and 10' rods for 3 tough seasons. I like everyone of them with no complaints. Plenty of back bone for the big one. I bought a Lami last year and for my type of fishing I use the BD alot more.

Was statement made above in this series to effect that All Star is now selling a Ben Doerr line of surf rods accurate? I can't find any info on this elsewhere on the Web.

I have an 8' BD, great rod. Broke it twice (not fishing mind you) and St. Croix replaced it free of charge...caught hundreds of bass on it.

Great rod and good company as far as my experiences..Sorry to hear they have discontinued it.