Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
chewie

conventional rod and reel setup

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

Hi there, I'm new to this forum but have been surf fishing with spinning gear for 25+ years. I'm looking at going with a conventional setup and have some questions. First off, tried it with a Penn Senator when I was a kid and ended up with a wasp nest. Do the new mag reels take care of backlash, or do you still have to use your thumb for control?

Secondly, I'm looking at the Daiwa slosh 30 or the Penn 525 mag. Have heard mixed reviews about the Penn. Something about bad bearings or something. Any input?

Finally, I'm looking at Lamaglas or G.loomis for a rod. Any opinions? Also, what's the difference between a surf spinning rod and a surf casting rod?

BTW, anyone do the WRI striper tourny in OBX this past weekend. I was there and had a blast. Nothing like 48hrs without sleep.

Matt

Are u going to be chunking bait or throwing tins?

We are gonna need to know what type of fishing you'll be doing, what species you'll be targeting and where(not specific place, but venue)i.e. open beach, jetties, inlets, etc. You'll get lots of help/respones.

Finally, I'm looking at Lamaglas or G.loomis for a rod. Any opinions? Also, what's the difference between a surf spinning rod and a surf casting rod?

Matt

Lotta good stuff heard about those rods. Lami will have more options though.

The difference b/w surf spinning and surfcasting is that the casting will be set up for conventional(baitcasting) reels w/ smaller guides closer to the reel.

Although some one could be talking about a spinning rod when describing a surfcasting rod because they are talking about a rod for simply casting in the surf not necessarily using a casting/ conventional reel. icon25.gif

Thanks for the replies guys. As far as the type of fishing I do, chunking bait and throwing lures on beach, points, and inlets. I mainly target stripers, blues, drum, and cobia. Most of what I do is in the OBX.