Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DeepWater

how to study the tide of cape cod canal?

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

Fished in the dock in Sandwich couple time, but still had a hard time to figure out the tide in canal.

Say fishing in middle of canal, town of Sanwich, does the incoming tide moves from West to East and and ourgoing tide moves East to West?

What tide or what direction of current is the best for general fishing?

tide goes up down

current goes east west

tide and current are independant of eachother, i find focusing on current as opposed to tide to be easier the first few times up there.

confusing as hell the first few times there.

ten more days heart.gif

incoming tide=west to east current flow

outgoing tide=east to west current flow

grab a tide chart at either the herring run visitor building(mid canal) mainland side or the east end building cape side

the chart will give you high and low tides at each end and the railroad bridge current change times

learning to fish the canal, not done overnightbiggrin.gif

easiest way to learn, latch on to someone thats been fishing it for thirty years or so, er, this would not be me, but I use this method when I can

Originally Posted by capequahog

View Post

incoming tide=west to east current flow

outgoing tide=east to west current flow

Well, not exactly, but close enough........(within two hours, anyway)....wink.gif

Definitely get a tide/current table. In general the tide lags behind the current change by about an hour and a half. ie: current flowing east to west with tide dropping, the current will stop and reverse but the tide will continue to drop for about an hour and a half before it begins to rise on the easterly flow and then visa-versa.

But why remember all that when a chart is available smile.gif Tackle shops near the canal will have them too. Or do a search on-line for Cape Cod Canal Currents.

Okay this looks better, thanks again Steve

Originally Posted by Laser8

View Post

Definitely get a tide/current table. In general the tide lags behind the current change by about an hour and a half. ie: current flowing west to east with tide dropping, the current will stop and reverse but the tide will continue to drop for about an hour and a half before it begins to rise on the westerly flow and then visa-versa.

But why remember all that when a chart is available smile.gif Tackle shops near the canal will have them too. Or do a search on-line for Cape Cod Canal Currents.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong....

Close enoughicon14.gif

Try www.capetides.com with current info for Canal enabled. What's confusing about this whole tide vs. current thing for most people is that the terms are often used interchangebly when in fact they are different (although related because tides drive currents).

My advice: forget about tides in the Canal and focus on time of slack currents. The period from low to high slack means an east-running current and the opposite is west-running. That'll tell you when the water's moving, and when it isn't, which is all the info you really need to know.

As for what currents are best, they are all good. You just have to find the right spot for each wink.gif .

-bd

Been coming to the Canal since 1973 to fish a few times a year. I still get confused by the tides, currents and slack waters. I enjoy fishing here very much but have a hard time planning trips around the tides. Maybe I just don't fish there enough. Enjoy the fishing anyway. confused.gif

Originally Posted by Laser8

View Post

Definitely get a tide/current table. In general the tide lags behind the current change by about an hour and a half. ie: current flowing west to east with tide dropping, the current will stop and reverse but the tide will continue to drop for about an hour and a half before it begins to rise on the westerly flow and then visa-versa.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong....

Actually, ya got it backwards, but the general concept is correct.

At the east end of the canal, for the last 4 hours that the current is moving FROM east TO west, the water level is dropping. Then the current goes slack for a bit, and then starts to move FROM the west TO the east......and the water level continues to drop for about another 2 hours (give or take). Then while the current is still moving east, the water level starts to rise. Then, about 4 hours after the low water, you get another current slack, and then the current begins to flow FROM the east TO the west, and the water will continue to rise for about two hours (give or take), and then start to fall. Then four hours later, you get another slack current until the water begins to move back east, and the cycle starts over again.

This is all because the water levels (high and low tide) on the west end (Buzzards Bay) occur about 2 1/2 - 3 hours before the same high or low water occurs on the east end (Cape Cod Bay). In addition, the tidal difference from high to low in Buzzards Bay is only about 4.5-6 feet, whereas the tidal difference between high and low in Cape Cod Bay can be anywhere from about 8 feet to as much as 12 feet plus (depending on the moon cycle).

When you get to somewhere around the RR bridge, the lag between the current change and the water level change gets less, and if you go west from there to Wing's Neck, the lag is even less.......

So now that you are really confused, get a tide and current chart......wink.gif

Here's as simple as I can make it:

The current runs "downhill". That means that it runs east when the water level in Cape Cod Bay is lower than that in Buzzards Bay. It runs west when the water level in Buzzards Bay is lower. It's slack when the water levels in both bays are the same. The times of high/low tide in each bay are different--by 3-1/2 hours--and this is what accounts for the current. Every inlet/breachway/sluiceway/whatever you call it works on the same principal. There is always a lag in the times of the tides between the bodies of water involved, and there is always a current flow resulting.

In the Canal, you have the additional factor that the average tide rises and falls 4 feet in Buzzards Bay, and 9 feet in CC Bay. This accounts for the phenomenon of the time of slack tide almost exactly coinciding with the time of high/low tide at the west end--from the Bourne Bridge west. East of the Bourne Bridge you begin to see that lag, where the tide continues to rise or fall after the change in direction of the current. Most inlets/breachways have that lag.

There are no fish in the Canal...........tidal flow ..east ..west.... up...down.....

in.....out.......its all mute.........fish the outer beaches its much better.....biggrin.gif

Originally Posted by PFF

View Post

There are no fish in the Canal...........tidal flow ..east ..west.... up...down.....

in.....out.......its all mute.........fish the outer beaches its much better.....biggrin.gif

thanks for that advice. i will be sure to follow.cwm12.gif

Thanks! I will get a chart from canal bait shop.

How do the tide and current affect fishing?

View PostActually, ya got it backwards, but the general concept is correct.

At the east end of the canal, for the last 4 hours that the current is moving FROM east TO west, the water level is dropping. Then the current goes slack for a bit, and then starts to move FROM the west TO the east......and the water level continues to drop for about another 2 hours (give or take). Then while the current is still moving east, the water level starts to rise. Then, about 4 hours after the low water, you get another current slack, and then the current begins to flow FROM the east TO the west, and the water will continue to rise for about two hours (give or take), and then start to fall. Then four hours later, you get another slack current until the water begins to move back east, and the cycle starts over again.

This is all because the water levels (high and low tide) on the west end (Buzzards Bay) occur about 2 1/2 - 3 hours before the same high or low water occurs on the east end (Cape Cod Bay). In addition, the tidal difference from high to low in Buzzards Bay is only about 4.5-6 feet, whereas the tidal difference between high and low in Cape Cod Bay can be anywhere from about 8 feet to as much as 12 feet plus (depending on the moon cycle).

When you get to somewhere around the RR bridge, the lag between the current change and the water level change gets less, and if you go west from there to Wing's Neck, the lag is even less.......

So now that you are really confused, get a tide and current chart......wink.gif