Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
speedracer

Mirage drive turbo fins

36 posts in this topic

I installed the Mirage drive Turbo fins on my Outback last week and tried them out this morning again. All I can say is WOW!!! Big increase in speed without any more exertion on my part. They were $80 from my Hobie dealer and took about 5 minutes to install.

Take it slow on those bad boys.

I am afraid to install mine, as I am afraid of the dreaded hull cracks that surface when people switch.

Let us know how it goes.

I just got an 07 Revo and would love to try the turbo fins but I'm afraid of all the problems I've heard from some of the guys that are using them are having. Keep posting to let us know how things work out with them...

Chip

I believe it's the ST fins that aren't much bigger than the originals, my turbos are definately longer. I've only used them a couple of times. Alot faster. I feel alot more resistance. I have to fine tune the adjustment screw, that should lessen the resistance but will probably give back some speed. Cool with me, I'm not a speed freak, just want to be better armed to pedal in rough water and on windy days. I try to take it easy as I too am concerned about the dreaded crack.

what hull crack? i never heard of that. i just got mine and installed last week, what a big speed increase! should i be careful with the amount of torque when pedaling now? i like to power on them to get that wake going. should i slow down? iam a big guy, so i can really get them cranking. anyone have a real explanation for this? i need more info so i dont screw my yak up before the fall run.

Some people who installed the Turbos have gotten cracks around the drive mounting screws.I'm wondering if big rubber washers would help.

I was actually incorrect about my new fins being Turbos, they are the ST's which are only slightly larger than standard.They still kick azz.heart.gif

I had a crack in my first hull (2006), then got it replaced with another 2006 w/the re-enforcer from Hobie and have not had an issue in over a year. I love the turbo fins, but you can't just put all your weight into them.

Good luck with yours.

One out of 100 Hobies sold seem to develop a well crack. It has nothing to do with turbo fins. The problem was more prevelant with older models from 4 or 5 years ago before turbos came on the market. Hobie replaced all the yaks with new ones and then reinforced the hull. Dont beleive everything you read. More rumors are started and then spread on the internet by people who have no actual experience with what they are talking about.

My daughter dropped her IPod into the hottub. I put it on a shelf next to the woodstove for a week before trying to turn it on. It came on briefly, then went blank. I tried plugging it in to the USB cable and it worked fine, but wouldn't take a charge. Put a new battery into it and it's like new again.

I think she was lucky. If you get it completely dried out before turning it on, you might get lucky too.