Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BassHunter

LMB - What is your approach? Do you favor lures?

16 posts in this topic

My approach (past couple weeks), pack the canue, hit the shore line with a rubber worm, weighted or unweighted.

I heart.gif rapalas but only own like 2 and hardly ever use them. I'll bust out the zara spook and weedless frog for topwater, but the majority of my fishing is done with a worm lately, and if I'm bored I drag a topwater across.... I have a few crankbaits, they dont see much use...

Maybe its just right now I am favoring worms, they are weedless, they have action, you can make them sink. I just can't stop using them, even though lately I haven't caught much over 2 pounds.

Do you favor lures? In two weeks I might be stuck on top water...

all of my bigger fish have come on rubber worms, senko rigged weightless and weedless...fished slow, most of the bigger ones hit the worm right as it hits the water

rapalas have their place, but i dont use em much because most of the lakes/ponds i fish have lots of weeds in them

topwater weedless frogs are good too, i like the batwing frog from gulp have been using that a bit

View PostChalk up another vote for the rubber worm. I've been throwing weightless worms practically all summer.

flat out, i use a rubber worm first, if that doesnt catch anything either the fish arent there or arent hungry and normally neither of those is the case...sometimes bass prefer topwater stuff, but normally a rubber worm will fool a lmb either way

I start with spinnerbaits, mainly white. Then I'll just keep switching it up every couple of cast till I find what they like. Its funny how one day it could be a small crank and the next its topwater only.

Bitsy bugs with zoom trailers fished in the weeds or on the edge of a weedbed near deep water. I'll change color and weight until I find something that works. Sometimes you need a light weight that falls slowly like 1/16oz. My father and I had a whole week in canada this year where only slow falling baits were productive. However, when the fish are more active I like a heavier, bigger bitsy that moves more quickly in the water column. If you reallly need to slow a fall down try a lite spinner bait and helicopter fish it over the weedbed, caught many bass with that approach this year.

My go to is small hairpin spinnerbaits dressed with a grub tail. I find these to be the most versatile lure. They can be burned accross the top like a buzzbait, alowed to sink and slowly retrieved just above the bottom or tops of weed beds and can be fished anywhere in between. They are a great searching lure that alows you to cover a larger amount of water faster. If you rig them right with the grubtail they are virtually weedless. I have caught LMB in NJ in Jan. just after ice out and LMB in the heat of summer out of water that had the color and consistency of pea soup.

My aproach to any body of water is the same. I will make my first casts from min. of 8 feet from the bank. [how many times have you spooked bass in the shallows when first aproaching the water/] After clearing the area of bank I plan to cast from, I will then aproach the water and cast paralell to the bank in both directions to clear the shallows. [ This is also the most likley spots to find bass, overhanging branches,stumps and deadfalls] Then I will begin casting to any structure out in fromt of me [lillypads, ECT]. After that I will cast around the clock blind before walking 10 to 20 feet and repeating it all again. This whole time I am trying different speed and depths.

I rarely get skunked when looking for LMB. My second choice is a senco in motor oil or pumpkin seed. This I will fish the same as above, but much slower, Cast out, let sink. twitch about 2 feet and repeat untill retrived.

Hope this helps, It can be used on any body of water ,from small ponds, to big lakes and in streams and rivers. Jim

Anybody wacky rig thier worms? I don't because I love to keep em weedless. Nothing more dissapointing then really workin a worm with patience and then reeling it in to find strings of weeds hangin from it.

i always wacky rig my senko's in the delaware b/c that is the best way to fish for the smallies in there. but in lakes with lm i go with texas rig. wacky in lakes gets a lot weed

It is a nice rod SkitterPop--I just don't use it so rather than have it sit in the basement I'll trade it for two first class plugs.

My wife still fishes the 8 1/2' Penn spinning rod from that same series and loves it.icon14.gif

Thanks Klamman